Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the thermostat that didn't fix the issue.... I am getting wildly different temps of air out of the driver side vs passenger side vents when the heat is on. After the car is up to operating temp i get luke warm air out of the far left (drivers side) dash vent and cold air out of the other 3 dash vents (2 in the middle and far right passenger side) Similarly in the defrost windshield mode there are 2 vent slots up by the windshield luke warm out of the drivers side one almost cold air out of the passenger side one, What could be the cause? I have had problems in the past with the servo motors stripping gears on the air door for circulation air inside/outside source maybe if there are 2 dif servo motors drivers/passenger side i guess only the passenger side one could be striped and not moving stuck in the cold position? just not sure how that is set up.

PS i am fairly sure i do NOT have duel zone temp control though there is only one temp knob

Brandon

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,695 Posts
Dual-zone would have driver and passenger temp controls. You have a single-zone ATC.
Always diagnose first. Any fault codes? Does the system build and hold pressure when warmed? The hoses should be firm when squeezed.
Is circulation through the heater core good? One hose should be warm, the other slightly less warm.

The car is now 11 years old. Has it had the recommended cooling system maintenances done using HOAT coolant and soft/distilled water in a 50/50 mix and meeting Chrysler MS-9769?
Don't use the green stuff or Dexcool (it doesn't necessarily have to be Mopar brand).

Font Darkness Brand Circle Event

Reverse flushing may remove soft scale build-up. Hard scale deposits over time may require core replacement (worst case).

If you do a search of posts in this forum, you will find many members with heater output concerns:

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Circle

Font Parallel Number Circle Triangle

Font Elbow Parallel Document Screenshot

HEATER PERFORMANCE
See Section 07 - Cooling when performing the following checks:

• Check the engine coolant level and flow
  • Check engine coolant reserve/recovery system operation
  • Check accessory drive belt condition and tension
  • Check radiator air flow and the fan drive operation

Perform the A/C System Performance Test, which is found within Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) System Diagnosis and Testing (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Diagnosis and Testing) . If any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are found, repair as necessary (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics).

WARNING:​
Do not remove radiator cap when engine is hot. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious injury.​

If engine has been operated recently, wait 15 minutes before removing the radiator cap. Place a rag over the cap and turn it to the first safety stop. Allow pressure to escape through the overflow tube. When the system pressure stabilizes, remove the cap completely.

MAXIMUM HEATER OUTPUT
Engine coolant is delivered to and from the heater core through two heater hoses. With the engine idling at normal operating temperature, set the temperature control to the full hot position, the mode control to the floor position, and the blower motor control to the highest speed position. Using a test thermometer, check the temperature of the air being discharged at the front floor outlets. Compare the test thermometer reading to the Heater Temperature Reference chart.

HEATER TEMPERATURE REFERENCE
Ambient Temperature​
Minimum Floor Outlet Temperature
Celsius​
Fahrenheit​
Celsius​
Fahrenheit​
16°​
60°​
54°​
130°​
21°​
70°​
56°​
132°​
26°​
80°​
57°​
134°​
32°​
90°​
58°​
136°​
If the heater outlet air temperature is below the minimum specification, refer to Group 7 - Cooling. Both of the heater hoses should be hot to the touch. The coolant return heater hose should be slightly cooler than the coolant supply heater hose. If the return hose is much cooler than the supply hose, locate and repair the engine coolant flow obstruction in the cooling system. Refer to Group 7 - Cooling for more information.

OBSTRUCTED COOLANT FLOW
Possible locations or causes of obstructed coolant flow are as follows:

• Low coolant level
  • Inoperative water pump
  • Inoperative thermostat
  • Pinched or kinked heater hoses
  • Improper heater hose routing
  • Plugged heater hoses or supply and return ports at the cooling system connections
  • Plugged heater core

If proper coolant flow through the cooling system is verified, and heater outlet air temperature is low, a mechanical problem may exist.

MECHANICAL PROBLEMS
Possible causes of insufficient heat due to mechanical problems are as follows:

• Restricted cabin air filter
  • Obstructed cowl air intake
  • Obstructed heater system outlets
  • Inoperative engine thermostat
  • Inoperative blower motor system
  • Inoperative A/C-heater control
  • Inoperative blend door actuator
  • Inoperative, obstructed or improperly installed blend-air door

TEMPERATURE CONTROL
If the heater outlet air temperature cannot be adjusted with the temperature control on the A/C-heater control, the following could require service:

• Inoperative A/C-heater control
  • Inoperative blend door actuator
  • Inoperative, obstructed or improperly installed blend-air door
  • Improper engine coolant temperature

1 - 2 of 2 Posts