Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past month I've noticed that after starting my 200 it wants to stall after backing from my driveway and while shifting from reverse to drive. I know it is getting colder; but I was wondering if there was another possible reason why this may be happening and if it is crucial to have it serviced...

This only happens after the first startup. However, I did notice it start to "grumble" backing from my office later this evening, the same as it does when it stalls from my driveway.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,513 Posts
So it won't stall in Reverse when cold, but only when you shift to Drive when cold?
The 'grumble' may be the Torque Converter Clutch staying partially engaged. The TCC can also stall an engine if it stays engaged at low speeds.
Is this the 4 or 6-speed automatic (41TE or 62TE) transaxle?
Has it ever been serviced with fresh ATF+4 (meeting Chrysler MS-9602) and a new filter? Walmart Supertech ATF+4 meets this material standard.

The TCC vents fluid pressure to keep it disengaged. If the vent screen plugs up, it can cause partial engagement and not allow the TCC to disengage when it needs to.

There are 8 filters in the solenoid pack at the front of the case of The 41TE that aren't normally serviced, but they can clog. The TCC shouldn't normally shed its friction lining and hopefully it still has some life left to it, if it is caught and remedied early enough.
Wrong or deteriorated ATF can cause friction element damage.
Try servicing the transaxle first.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts