Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! So, we have a 2011 Chrysler 200 3.6 V6. 78k miles. 1 owner. A couple weeks back we took it to a shop for a tire replacement and asked they also do a diagnostic on it just to check everything and do an oil change. We were told at that time the car had an oil leak and it was thr cooler that needed replaced. $1k in replacement/labor costs. So, we decided to take it somewhere else for a second opinion. Well this second place tells us, it's it's front and rear seal and, the oil pan and some other stuff and it would be like $6-8k in labor alone to fix all these leaks. So then we decide to take it back to the first place and have them check it again...telling them what this second place has just told us. And they tell us there is no other leaks they can find, other than what is happening from the oil cooler. So, we take a chance and proceed and have the oil cooler replaced. Total cost is $1k. Well, we bring the vehicle home. Park it in our driveway. It has not been driven since bringing it home as we are waiting to get two tires replaced. It has been 8 days since the oil cooler was replaced. I go outside this a.m. and a brand new oil leak is under the vehicle again. Now I'm freaking out again of course. We are of course taking it back up to the guys who did the work...but, why would there be no leaks for 8 days and it suddenly just start leaking again?? Seems super random to me when it hasn't been started, it hasn't been driven, period. Any ideas? ty so much everyone!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I went ahead and started up the car and moved it back in our driveway about 10 feet for about 45 mins. I wanted to see how much oil came out during that period of time. Well, my husband came home so he could take it back up to the shop who did the Oil Cooler replacement. When he left, there was 1 tiny drip of oil in the new spot I had parked it in, in the driveway. So...im wondering if maybe it had been leaking since the repair has been done 8 days ago, jusy very minimally, compared to what it was leaking before we had the oil cooler replaced, and maybe we just haven't noticed obviously, because we haven't driven/moved it since the repair. And now, I just happened to see this new leak bc I looked under it today and there it was. The spot is def fresh...but not, fresh fresh...if that makes sense..? It's got some drying to it, somewhat. So I think it's been leaking since we got it back, but jusy a very small amount each day it's been back home...Ugh!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,082 Posts
Did they completely clean the old leaking oil from all surfaces before, or after the repair ? if not, the possibility that old oil is still seeping.
It is also possible that other leaks have developed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did they completely clean the old leaking oil from all surfaces before, or after the repair ? if not, the possibility that old oil is still seeping.
It is also possible that other leaks have developed.
He said they cleaned everything...greased and cleaned down, is what I think he said specifically. He did tell us to bring it back up in one week (which would be this week) to check something...I can't remember?? Maybe to check the fluids and everything...??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He said they cleaned everything...greased and cleaned down, is what I think he said specifically. He did tell us to bring it back up in one week (which would be this week) to check something...I can't remember?? Maybe to check the fluids and everything...??
Oh, he may have said, De-Greased, everything....lol. My bad...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts