Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car makes this buzz saw sort of noise usually when I first get it and turn it on and I haven't been about to figure out what it is. Any ideas? Video attached.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Where does the sound come from? Is it in the dashboard or under the hood? If it seems related to using the HVAC there are 3 small electric motors that control airflow but I've never heard one of those make a sound like your car. Normally those motors (actuators) make a clicking sound when they go bad. Disconnecting the battery connection under the hood will cause the HVAC unit to recalibrate the starting position the next time you turn on the ignition after you reconnect the battery. Not saying that is it though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's an air air vent thing. Search here for some other threads about dash noises. If it's the same thing, I've changed mine twice in 2 years. Available at most auto parts stores for about 40 bucks or from dealer for MUCH more. 10 minute job.
(Also 2011 convertible) Last time I changed it, I just unplugged it electrically after a function-test, and I have not had any problems. I leave the controls on floor/windshield.

To test this, unlatch/remove the glove box and reach up on the right side in there for a vibration during start. You should find it. Then you can unplug the electrical and test again to double-check. 2 or 3 screws to replace the unit.

Hopefully that helps. If that isn't it, I'm sorry, but I'm stumped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's an air air vent thing. Search here for some other threads about dash noises. If it's the same thing, I've changed mine twice in 2 years. Available at most auto parts stores for about 40 bucks or from dealer for MUCH more. 10 minute job.
(Also 2011 convertible) Last time I changed it, I just unplugged it electrically after a function-test, and I have not had any problems. I leave the controls on floor/windshield.

To test this, unlatch/remove the glove box and reach up on the right side in there for a vibration during start. You should find it. Then you can unplug the electrical and test again to double-check. 2 or 3 screws to replace the unit.

Hopefully that helps. If that isn't it, I'm sorry, but I'm stumped.
I found a video that seems to be my problem exactly:

I'm going to check this out over the weekend and I'll report back, thanks for the info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts