Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi.
Does anybody out there have experience with 2011 200 instrument lights?
Some of mine - 2 out of 5 - went out this morning. I managed to get the panel apart, but it looks like the lights are soldered-in diodes or something.
Can anybody "shed some light" on this?
I really don't want to solder the dash or have to replace the whole thing.
Dash.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More info - dealer says $645 for the new circuit board plus labour to replace and reprogram.
This really bites. All for 2 stinkin' bulbs.
I put it all back together. Now the speedo doesn't work.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Found something in the 2012 factory service manual that probably applies to your car....

Instrument clusters used in this model automatically configure themselves for compatibility with the features and optional equipment in the vehicle in which they are initially installed. The instrument cluster is programmed to do this by embedding the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and other information critical to proper cluster operation into electronic memory. This embedded information is learned through electronic messages received from other electronic modules in the vehicle over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus, and through certain hard wired inputs received when the cluster is connected to the vehicle electrically. Once configured, the instrument cluster memory may be irreparably damaged and certain irreversible configuration errors may occur if the cluster is connected electrically to another vehicle; or, if an electronic module from another vehicle is connected that provides data to the instrument cluster (including odometer values) that conflicts with that which was previously learned and stored. Therefore, the practice of exchanging (swapping) instrument clusters and other electronic modules in this vehicle with those removed from another vehicle must always be avoided. Failure to observe this caution may result in instrument cluster damage, which is not reimbursable under the terms of the product warranty. Service replacement instrument clusters are provided with the correct VIN, and the certified odometer and engine hours values embedded into cluster memory, but will otherwise be automatically configured for compatibility with the features and optional equipment in the vehicle in which they are initially installed.

So it looks to me that only a new unit would work and somehow the VIN and mileage are preloaded into the cluster but I don't know how they do that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.
As it turns out, the dealer was able to order a used unit. No warranty, but $160, not $645!
And only $80 labour expected to install and reprogram.
Coulda been worse!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:
Job done, with a few notes. The odometer doesn't get reset to the actual mileage - the new panel is what you get. For me, that added 7,300 km to the total number, from 63,600 to 70,900. I've asked the dealer for a letter stating so (for potential resale value).
Total cost was $155 for the cluster, 95 labour for reprogram & installation, $250 total.
Also, and possibly not related, the "Oil Change Required" notification came up, even though it's only 3,800 km since last done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts