Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the battery group # for a 2011 3.6 Limited?

Also, can a larger battery fit without any fitment issues?

Last time I changed the battery it looked very small.

There seemed to be lots of room for a larger group.

Top post right?? Earlier Sebring was side post.

Been 6 yrs since I changed the battery.

Hence the dumb questions.

Thanks
Randy

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,865 Posts
Randy -
I see 2 sizes offered. Group 34 or group 86.
Group 34 looks like the stronger of the 2. Prices are about the same. Lead is getting expensive.

BATTERY
The battery Group Size number, the Cold Cranking Amperage (CCA) rating, and the Reserve Capacity (RC) rating or Ampere-Hours (AH) rating can be found on the original equipment battery label. Be certain that a replacement battery has the correct Group Size number, as well as CCA, and RC or AH ratings that equal or exceed the original equipment specification for the vehicle being serviced. Battery sizes and ratings are discussed in more detail below.

NOTE:
Vehicles equipped with a diesel engine utilize a unique battery. The specifications for this battery may differ from the standards shown here. Refer to the battery manufacturer for detailed specifications.

• Group Size - The outside dimensions and terminal placement of the battery conform to standards established by the Battery Council International (BCI). Each battery is assigned a BCI Group Size number to help identify a correctly-sized replacement.
  • Cold Cranking Amperage - The Cold Cranking Amperage (CCA) rating specifies how much current (in amperes) the battery can deliver for thirty seconds at -18° C (0° F). Terminal voltage must not fall below 7.2 volts during or after the thirty second discharge period. The CCA required is generally higher as engine displacement increases, depending also upon the starter current draw requirements.
  • Reserve Capacity - The Reserve Capacity (RC) rating specifies the time (in minutes) it takes for battery terminal voltage to fall below 10.5 volts, at a discharge rate of 25 amperes. RC is determined with the battery fully-charged at 26.7° C (80° F). This rating estimates how long the battery might last after a charging system failure, under minimum electrical load.
  • Ampere-Hours - The Ampere-Hours (AH) rating specifies the current (in amperes) that a battery can deliver steadily for twenty hours, with the voltage in the battery not falling below 10.5 volts. This rating is also sometimes identified as the twenty-hour discharge rating.
  • Load Test Amperage - The Load Test Amperage rating specifies the current (in amperes) that a battery should be tested at with the battery load test equipment. This value should always be 50 percent of the CCA. For example: if the CCA for this battery is 700 amps, the Load Test Amperage is 50 percent of that or 350 amps.

BCI Group Size Classification​
Cold Cranking Amperage​
Reserve Capacity​
Ampere - Hours​
Load Test Amperage​
BATTERY CLASSIFICATIONS AND RATINGS​
34​
700​
90 Minutes​
50​
350​
86​
525​
100 Minutes​
60​
265​

Reactions: ggoose

·
Registered
310 Posts
Lasted 6 years - got your money's worth.

A larger battery would not fit. The height is limited by the hold-down bar across the top of the battery, the width is limited by the hold-down post which attaches to the hold-down bar across the top and the length is limited by the battery tray itself. Need to stick with either group 34 or 86. Battery is top post.

Looking beyond CCA and specs, I try to get at least a 3-year warranty. One of the few places I have found 3+ years and more than 1 battery choice is at Napa auto parts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the replies friends.

Normally I replace the battery in my wife's car with a factory Mopar unit.

None are available locally so I bought a group 34 at the local Costco tonight.

Costco doesn't list Chrysler 200 and other models with the battery in the wheel well.

I guess their staff don't have the qualifications to do anything other than tires?

Their price was good and the core charge was only $10.00, the lowest locally.

The old battery still works well so I'll keep it around for one of my beaters.

The group 34 seems larger than I remember the Mopar unit I last replaced.

Old age hasn't been kind so I will have to enlist a helper to swap it this time.

Thanks
Randy

Reactions: 200_S_AWD

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darn, my mechanic just texted to inform me the group 34 is about an inch too long.

All other dimensions are fine but a group 86 is about an inch shorter.

Has anyone manged to fit a group 34 in the battery box??

Thanks
Randy

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, Chrysler had nothing by application so I went with Costco

Now I'm trying to find another make/model/year that takes a group 86.

Costco goes by application not group so I'm trying to find a group 86 application.

Hopefully they'll let me swap my 34 for an 86 but I need an application.

Thanks
Randy.

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
Do they list the 2011 Dodge Avenger?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No Mopars that have the wheel well battery.

Thanks
Randy

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
Dodge Caliber?
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Paper product

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Costco doesn't even list a Caliber, at least around here.

Pontiac G3 also takes a group 86 but it isn't listed at Costco

Thanks
Randy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts