Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 2011 3.6 Chrysler 200 serviced at the dealer and was advised the oil cooler is leaking.

There are no signs of a leak but I like to keep on top of issues as my wife drives the car regularly.

A google search reveals lots of 2014 models have cooler leaks but I haven't noticed any earlier ones.

Anyone have any problems in this area, do leaking coolers drip first or just bust ??

I know the oil filter was changed for 2014 and am curious if the new housings are more or less prone to leaking.

Seems strange if the new design is more troublesome than the original.

I've never had anyone but the selling dealer touch this car yet but I don't have a lot of confidence in them.

I also found it curious they recommended an Engine oil dye test for another $170.00 to confirm its leaking oil???

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the link.

The thing is, while the dealer claimed its leaking, its bone dry.

Seems to be something suspicious.....

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
577 Posts
I guess I would ask the dealer the same question. Why do they suspect a leak in the first place?

Maybe they can see evidence from below when they have it on a lift. I could spot a leak on my car because I always park it in the same spot. Had another thought - maybe they heard something crack when they opened or sealed the oil filter housing.

The same guy has a different video where he actually replaces an oil cooler assembly and shows you all the steps. I think it's about a $400 job including the parts if you get the dealer to do it.

Another thing that confuses me is why it costs $140 for a dye test. Seems like you'd pour in the dye and then after a few days shine the black light around the motor.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Techs on another site reported the redesigned 2014 and newer coolers are the ones that tend to leak.

The 2011-2013 units have a check valve that often gets broken when changing oil filters.

They claimed these early units don't tend to leak oil!!

This part isn't available from Chrysler so the whole filter housing/oil cooler gets replaced.

It's been suggested the valve got broken during the oil/filter change and the oil leak report is a cover up.

The car sits inside every night on the concrete floor of our attached garage.

Any leaking would be noticeable right away.

Luckily there is an aftermarket check valve assembly available so I ordered one.

This weekend I'll remove the oil filter housing cover and see if the valve is intact.

I've never serviced the car before but now that it's out of warranty it's time for me to start.

If I do find a leak I'll, report it as I don't like to bash anyone unfairly.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Luckily, still no leak and I removed the filter and the bypass valve is still intact.

I'm still not happy my dealer claimed my oil cooler is leaking but I'll keep an eye on it.

The repair estimate was $1127.63!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
577 Posts
Slightly off topic, but my 2012 seems to allow the oil inside the filter chamber to drain back into the pan when the motor is shut off for a day. It causes a tapping sound for a second until oil pressure builds up when the filter housing is refilled. When your earlier post said a "check valve" breaks it perked my interest. I think that part is actually a bypass valve but it seems like you've done some research on the oiling system. Do you know whether the 2011-13 system has an oil drainback valve in the filter housing?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
577 Posts
You're right about needing a lot of clicking. One of the slides showed a cut-away of the early style oil filter with a comment that unscrewing the filter allow the oil to drain out of the housing. I had another brand car that worked that way and you could hear the oil drain away when you unscrewed the filter. My 2012 Chrysler doesn't make that sound and it's very common for my car to have some valve tap for the first second after starting until the filter fills up.

Now after reading the link I'm a little concerned that the drain valve in my car's filter housing might be open all the time and partially bypassing the filter. Don't know what to think for sure. I don't really know what I'm looking at when I remove the filter and try to see a drain in the bottom.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A Chrysler tech told me loosening the filter allows the oil to drain from the housing.

When changing the oil, the filter cap has to be loosened first to get the oil out of the housing.

He wasn't sure if there is an actual valve or not.

Learn a little day by day.

A momentary tick or clack at start up is common and wouldn't bother me.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have a 2011 chryslee 200 and JUST had a shop replace the oil cooler 1 week ago. We had originally taken it to a different shop who told us the entire engine/trans needed to be removed to fix our car bc the front and rear seal was leaking, along with a couple other things and it would be $6-8k in Labor alone. Well, we took it somewhere else and they told us it was just the oil cooler. So, we chose to pay $1000 and have the oil cooler replaced at this shop here. We got the car home, and we haven't really been driving it this past week because it also needs a new back tire. There had not been any visible oil leaks from under the vehicle since having the cooler replaced. There was prior to the replacement, of course. But, just 1 hour ago I went outside and could see a new fresh oil leak from underneath it. It has been approx 8 days from replacing this oil cooler. Again, the car has NOT been driven since this replacement. Not even 1 time. Well, except driving it back home from that shop...Which is Literally 2 mins around the corner from our home. Why would it suddenly just start leaking after 8 days of sitting in the driveway?? We are obviously going to take it back up to the shop we had the work done at...but, now I'm freaking out again... This is a 2011 Chrysler 200 3.6 liter V6. One owner...78k miles.

·
Super Moderator
2,082 Posts
We have a 2011 chryslee 200 and JUST had a shop replace the oil cooler 1 week ago. We had originally taken it to a different shop who told us the entire engine/trans needed to be removed to fix our car bc the front and rear seal was leaking, along with a couple other things and it would be $6-8k in Labor alone. Well, we took it somewhere else and they told us it was just the oil cooler. So, we chose to pay $1000 and have the oil cooler replaced at this shop here. We got the car home, and we haven't really been driving it this past week because it also needs a new back tire. There had not been any visible oil leaks from under the vehicle since having the cooler replaced. There was prior to the replacement, of course. But, just 1 hour ago I went outside and could see a new fresh oil leak from underneath it. It has been approx 8 days from replacing this oil cooler. Again, the car has NOT been driven since this replacement. Not even 1 time. Well, except driving it back home from that shop...Which is Literally 2 mins around the corner from our home. Why would it suddenly just start leaking after 8 days of sitting in the driveway?? We are obviously going to take it back up to the shop we had the work done at...but, now I'm freaking out again... This is a 2011 Chrysler 200 3.6 liter V6. One owner...78k miles.
Best to keep questions in one thread. Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts