Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about a year ago i was trying to troubleshoot a no heat issue...long story short it was a clogged heater core. in my trouble shooting i removed and messed around with my blend door actuators. I've since put everything back as best as possible but now i don't have the settings properly placed for my vents. mainly the defroster is my biggest issue. my wife drives the car. every store I've looked at online doesn't have the actuator on the side of my blower motor... i did come across a gear up in the HVAC guts that controls the defrost vents and come to find out when i flipped it, the gents blew full blast but upon moving the vent to another position and back, the gear/flap only moved about 1/4 of the way open. so now im trying to figure out if that gear or what have you is controlled by a vacuum line. can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
562 Posts
The actuators are electrically operated. The dealer diagnostic equipment has a way to calibrate the actuators. Also whenever the HVAC control unit is removed and replaced it is supposed to go through the same actuator calibration routine automatically. It's not clear to me whether disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours would do the same thing as removing and reinstalling the control unit.

According to the service manual there is no need to manually index the shaft of a new actuator to any specific position when installing a replacement because the actuator calibration procedure will figure all that stuff out. I don't see a secret way to force the calibration procedure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So basically, I can get a whole new system, spend a crap load but the dealer has to take 5 minutes but charge an hour and a testicle to make it work?

·
Registered
562 Posts
There is a company that sells a very inexpensive diagnostic program for your car. I bought it myself. Basically it is a program that runs on a Windows laptop and connects with a module that plugs into the ODB port. The program is only $50 and you can get the module from Amazon for less than $50. It will perform most of the functions of the dealer software. Lots of folks on the Chrysler convertible forum have bought this program. I don't know specifically whether it will perform the actuator calibration procedure but I'm pretty sure it will.

Here is a link. You can contact them directly to ask about the HVAC actuator calibration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts