Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
We bought our beige interior one a year ago. One oddity has been the color difference between the rear panel and the adjoining panels. Is this normal? It looks like the seat belt holders have faded also but they are a different material. Car came from sunny Florida. I thought about removing the rear panel and spraying it to match the others but wanted to see if other folks had experienced this also. We have enjoyed the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome to the world of Chrysler interiors! The plastics and leathers change color as they age, and not evenly. I have the same car, same interior, and it’s many shades of tan. As for the tonneau and side panel difference - the tonneau spends a big part of its life under the trunk lid, protected from the sun, while the interior pieces are behind glass, exposed to UV many hours a day. My car is always garaged, drives only about 2500 miles a year, but it looks like you took a picture of my interior! The black interiors are better (how many shades of black are there!) but a black interior in a convertible on a hot day? No thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the world of Chrysler interiors! The plastics and leathers change color as they age, and not evenly. I have the same car, same interior, and it’s many shades of tan. As for the tonneau and side panel difference - the tonneau spends a big part of its life under the trunk lid, protected from the sun, while the interior pieces are behind glass, exposed to UV many hours a day. My car is always garaged, drives only about 2500 miles a year, but it looks like you took a picture of my interior! The black interiors are better (how many shades of black are there!) but a black interior in a convertible on a hot day? No thanks!
Thanks midlife; regards Warren

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
278 Posts
Part of the reason is the automakers moving towards sustainable and less toxic plastics and tinting materials.
Some hold up better to aging and environmental changes than others.
The good news may be that plastic interior parts have a 'trim code' to select the proper matching paint. The hard plastic caps and covers can be removed and repainted if you don't like the two-tone interior effect. ☺
Most plastic trim pieces are molded in a generic color (usually black), then painted to whatever color is needed. It is much cheaper to do this than running multiple molds with permanent, embedded colors.
It isn't only Chrysler. Almost all can have fading and/or warping issues.

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
278 Posts
Looks like Cream/Medium Pebble Beige or Light Frost Beige?
Is this a Limited and is the carpet Black?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought TWO 2013's used. One is fading and the other is not...so far. Same tan interior you have. Its only THOSE panels everything else looks stellar. On the bad one, the panels are actually turning whitish!
First thing I did when I bought them was run down to my favorite tint shop in JAX,FL and have them tinted.
I am currently kind of looking around a bit at junkyards for some replacement panels and the tint should do the rest as I don't leave the top down very much.
The other alternative is definitely going to be painting, or DYEING is what they call it. You can do it yourself, or go down to your local chrysler dealer and ask them who they hire to refurb their used cars and get contact info.
I used to sell used cars (3 months was all I could take, but I learned a lot!) and we had a guy who would come around every Tuesday and refurb interiors of trashed out cars. We'd have people in a BIDDING war for those cars by that evening!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts