Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. When driving on the highway, the engine temperature in my 2013 200 (4cyl) starts to creep up. It has gone as high as the "3/4" hash, so not overheating, but definitely a cause for concern. When this happened, I turned the heater on and the temperature quickly dropped down to normal. I continued to experiment while driving by turning the heater off again, and I watched the thermostat climb. I added coolant to max level and it helped a bit, but it still creeps up, just not quite as hot. Temperature stays normal during local driving.

I plan to get it checked out, but I'm curious as to possible root causes behind the issue. I'm a bit afraid the mechanic will not be able to replicate the issue as it doesn't pop up until ive been driving at highway speeds for greater than 20-25min. Overall, I feel the temperature fluctuates more than it should, even when in the normal range. I had the battery checked yesterday by Pep Boys and was told it was "perfect." I don't trust Pep Boys, so I haven't eliminated battery as the root cause. The battery is easily over 3 years old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a frequent user of this forum, but it is extremely valuable and I am happy the support is out there.

FYI - I recently had the ETC replaced. Not saying that is the issue, just want to share.

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
421 Posts
The symptoms that you describe are similar to what happened when the radiator in my Sebring needed replacement.
They are an aluminum core and once the hard corrosion and scale starts, they really can't be flushed.
Are you using the correct coolant (OAT?) meeting Chrysler MS-90032 and is it in the correct 50/50 concentration? You don't mention mileage, but has cooling system scheduled maintenance been performed?
Always diagnose first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I'm using the standard "universal" coolant you get at an automotive store. I made sure it said it can be used in any/all gasoline vehicles, but nothing more specific than that. It was pre-diluted.

I have 106k miles. It probably could use a cooling system checkup. From your judgment, it sounds like it maybe needs a new radiator as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm thinking air in the system and you may just to bleed it or possibly thermostat. I had a car where the temperature was creeping up higher than normal. Took out the old T-Stat and placed in a pot of boiling water and it opened...****...then I placed the new T-Stat in the boiling water next to it and the new opened a little wider. Installed the new T-stat and fine...temp back to normal. I had to replace the T-Stat around 98K miles (close to the miles you have now). I'd try bleeding and replacing the T-stat first, both easy before maybe going for the radiator...but then again, get the system checked and remove all doubt...I guess.

KMN
2013 200 Limited
125,600K miles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts