Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this may have went around a few times but in looking i have not found much of an answer. so her it is again.
a friend stopped over yesterday and figured i had the answer to his 2013 200 making a clicking noise on the right side under the dash. so i did some tests with the key on and i found it made the noises with the heater controls in any position. if i turned on the blower motor it clicked for like 10 to 20 clicks, i then moved all the other controls to various positions and then turned on the blower again and the same thing. he said he gets lots of heat so before i get to involved i figure maybe someone here has a good starting point or a fix?

so far i hve found it could be the motor the is located on the upper right side on the heat unit behind the cabin filter, but as i have found in the past that may have been some other fix and not the fix i need. seems these unit have more than 1 blower type door system, blend door, foot dash windshield door, a/c door etc.

also maybe some have some youtubes they can point me to so i can see what is required to repair this for him. i just know after i send him the fix he will be at my door with the parts wanting me to fix it, you know what i mean. so to help save time and trouble i start here for some added assistance. thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok this may have went around a few times but in looking i have not found much of an answer. so her it is again.
a friend stopped over yesterday and figured i had the answer to his 2013 200 making a clicking noise on the right side under the dash. so i did some tests with the key on and i found it made the noises with the heater controls in any position. if i turned on the blower motor it clicked for like 10 to 20 clicks, i then moved all the other controls to various positions and then turned on the blower again and the same thing. he said he gets lots of heat so before i get to involved i figure maybe someone here has a good starting point or a fix?

so far i hve found it could be the motor the is located on the upper right side on the heat unit behind the cabin filter, but as i have found in the past that may have been some other fix and not the fix i need. seems these unit have more than 1 blower type door system, blend door, foot dash windshield door, a/c door etc.

also maybe some have some youtubes they can point me to so i can see what is required to repair this for him. i just know after i send him the fix he will be at my door with the parts wanting me to fix it, you know what i mean. so to help save time and trouble i start here for some added assistance. thanks
ok i believe i found out how to do this if it turns out he brings the car to me. and i betting he will. thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
It is one of the motors that operates the doors in the airbox. Usually it's the recirculator door, which is outermost on the right side of the airbox. The gears inside the motor case are plastic and strip. To fix it, buy only a Mopar part (Rockauto has them), as I found that Dorman failed after a few months. Remove the glovebox and you can awkwardly reach in with a Philips screwdriver, take out either 2 or 3 screws and the electrical plug, and remove the motor. Pull it out and push the new one in place. No homing procedure is required. Just screw the new one in, and plug in the electrical plug, and reinstall glovebox. It costs about $40.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks i did find a youtube that show this fix. i think it is the reciurc motor as that is the only test i did not do. i pushed the middle and right buttons along with turning them, i did not push the left button as all i did was turn it on and off and different speed. the youtube shows pushing that button and then the clicking that followed, so i sent that guy that you tube and the rock auto part. so now to wait as see if he returns the email and then wants me to fix it for him. i'm leaning to that. thanks for this info.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is the most annoying thing that happened on my 200, everything still worked, after 1 month of lisetening to it I ordered the part from Rockauto and it went away before the part showed up.

·
Registered
527 Posts
This is the most annoying thing that happened on my 200, everything still worked, after 1 month of lisetening to it I ordered the part from Rockauto and it went away before the part showed up.
Hello SRT200,
We are happy to hear you concern seemed to have resolved itself. Should this return in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out!
Laura
ChryslerCares

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S
184 Posts
The tick-tick-tick can also be if the recirc door is stalled. The door has a soft rubber edge seal that can bind in the housing. Silicone spray can help lube the rubber to keep it from sticking against the sides of the housing.
These are stepper motors. If the end travel limits are lost from memory, the motor will lose its position reference and can overrun the end of travel. There is a door recalibration procedure with the scan tool.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The tick-tick-tick can also be if the recirc door is stalled. The door has a soft rubber edge seal that can bind in the housing. Silicone spray can help lube the rubber to keep it from sticking against the sides of the housing.
These are stepper motors. If the end travel limits are lost from memory, the motor will lose its position reference and can overrun the end of travel. There is a door recalibration procedure with the scan tool.
They're not stepper motors. They are simple two-wire electric motors. They don't require any calibration to replace and use.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have seen a video where a mechanic speaks about this problem and says he reset the hvac control module (the dash unit with the knobs) using his high dollar diagnostic tool but then mentions a DIY owner could accomplish the same thing by disconnecting the battery. I believe that whenever the hvac module looses power it automatically recalibrates the positions of the actuators. You can do this by removing the module from the dash and unplugging it but also by disconnecting the battery. Here is a quote from the factory service manual...
NOTE:When installing a new A/C-heater control, or reinstalling the original control, the A/C-heater control will automatically run the Actuator Calibration function when the ignition switch is initially turned to ON. However, the Actuator Calibration function must be manually initiated using a scan tool if the A/C-heater control was previously installed in another vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S
184 Posts
Sorry, I should have been clearer about 'step counting'. The actuator motors count the inductance 'pulses' of the commutator bars as they pass by the brushes to learn the motor position and end stops. This value is memorized for future operation. Recirc doors just have to open or close fully. The blend and mode doors have to vary position according to controller commands.

From the 2007 JS service manual:
Some newer designs don't use a potentiometer for feedback. Instead, the controller senses the current pulses that occur each time a commutator bar passes beneath the brushes. The controller establishes the position of the door by the number of pulses, or "counts," that occur between the stops, much like an IAC valve.
This is why they only need 2 wires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts