Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't even sit in my car listening to the radio for 20 mins key turn to accs, turn key to start slow cranking. The battery was just checked out, CCA OK. Any other time no problems starting. Battery is 3.5 yrs old. Could it be something else or just time for a new battery. I used a jump starter pack and the car starts right up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What is the battery voltage after sitting for 20 or so minutes with the radio off and after playing the radio for 20 minutes? A good battery will be 12.4+ volts. Under 12.2 volts, the battery is suspect.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,077 Posts
Many auto parts stores offer a free comprehensive electrical test of starter draw, charging voltage/ripple & ign-off draw if they can spare someone at the counter. Some will give a printout of the results.
The battery is generally out-of-sight. out-of-mind on these. Although it is a maintenance-free battery, terminals & posts can corrode. Some corrosion may be between the post & terminal and hidden from view. Take both terminals off and clean them.

A battery may check OK as soon as you turn off the car. Sit and play the radio a few minutes before having the test. This will remove the surface charge and allow a valid battery test.
Measure radio draw, perhaps it has an internal problem? It shouldn't draw more than 1 amp turned on.
Batteries can go bad at anytime. If the caps are removable, test the electrolyte specific gravities. One cell may be having an issue?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts