Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 2013 Chrysler 200 Touring model. While upgrading the radio to a 730N MYGIG radio, I notice the ECS and emergency flasher wiring to the radio trim was missing. That explains why they never worked. I looked everywhere for the 10pin wiring harness including behind and underneath the radio, the cubby storage, glove box, as well as under the driverside dash. I have not pulled the steering column trim. Where should it be? If missing, can it be restored; and, if so, what is the part number?

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,865 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The ESC-off button? I see an 8-pin connector with 3 wires.
It should be there, maybe tucked under a component? It is called a lower switch bank. The heated seat buttons would go here also.
The LIN bus wire would carry the on-off signals.
Automotive lighting Urban design Font Engineering Automotive design

Font Rectangle Parallel Gesture Electric blue

Rectangle Font Number Circle Parallel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the picture and info. Note that I have had its radio and trim, the climate control nobs and trim, the center cubby storage and even the Center Console all out at the same time. There is nothing there, not even the remnants of wire should the radio trim have been jerked out with the 8-pin connected. My mother told me this 200 Touring car was a dealer owned car that she bought in 2015. It never had heated seats, although that was an option. Perhaps the dealer removed the seats and took this 8-pin harness along with the seats' harness and simply replaced the radio trim with the current one that only has buttons for the ESC and the emergency flasher. Can the missing harness be restored, perhaps with one from a salvage facility?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for your "The ESC-off button?", ESC stands for Electronic Stability Control and there is a button left of the emergency flasher button that disables that feature momentarily as long as it is depressed, presumably so one can start moving on a snowy service when then tires are spinning. Once released ESC is restored. Your 8-pin layout does not seem to account for that feature. Currently, where the heated seat buttons would be, there are blanks.

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
That 8-pin connector & pigtail harness to splice it in is availible, but you need to find the other ends of the wires to splice to. The car would have had to have come with a hazard flasher & ESC switch.
The ESC switch should push once & click to 'mostly' disable the ESC, a chime should sound and the yellow 'skidding car' icon should light.

Perhaps the Rd (+12v) and Bk (Gnd) wires to that connector were used to power something that a previous owner or dealer had installed? Any signs of 'hackery'?

The end of the LIN bus wire (Wt/DGn) should also be there. It would have carried the signal from the switches (& heated seat switches, if equipped) depending on resistance (so it knows which button has been pushed).

Google: Mopar 68057288AA for the pigtali.
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

Font Credit card Screenshot Brand Logo

Reactions: ggoose

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again, this is very useful information. It sounds like the wires should be in the center console somewhere. I initially thought the 8-pin wiring should be part of the bundle that supports the fan/temp/vent nobs for heat and AC. Your picture seems to indicate that. The last week, after a look at a wiring diagram, I thought the wires were destined somewhere on the path towards the multi-function turn signal switch; but clearly, as you indicate, they are going to the line bus. Perhaps unwrapping the electrician tape around the fan... wiring bundle might show dealer technician snipped wires?

As for a hack wiring job, everything looks normal except this 200 Touring model's powered sunroof has a 3 wire microphone that does not seem to have a compatible harness for the 730N (82211666 is 5 wire). I ohmed out the sunroof's microphone's wiring all the way to the 200's original 130 radio connection (as purchase), which is now connected to my upgraded 730N. Unfortunately the 730N's built-in Uconnect did not recognize this sunroof microphone on its main radio connection. If the 130 (no phone button) was not the original radio (as delivered to the dealer), there may have been a hack job to connect the sunroof microphone. I had to buy a standalone microphone for the 730N and run its wiring up the passenger side A-channel and stick it right next to the sunroof microphone. As it looks dumb, I may someday hack the sunroof microphone wiring in this same A-channel into the 730N; but the 8-pin ESC-emergency 3 wires would not seem to be useful, as they would not run anywhere near this A-channel? Thoughts?

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
The wiring looks long enough where the connector could have fallen down into the center console or have been tucked away out of view.
Electrical wiring Cable Wire Electric blue Networking cables

From the factory, the Uconnect hands-free module (HFM) microphone is part of the rear-view mirror. The kit shown below, has a microphone that clips to the sun visor. Perhaps this was the kit that the car had?
Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel

Product Font Screenshot Online advertising Engineering

Vision care Gadget Eyewear Eye glass accessory Audio equipment

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I double checked the fan/temp/flow wire bundles and did not find any loose wires in them. I will probably have to take out the center console again and do a more thorough search following the path to the LIN bus. Alternatively the fan/temp/flow trim knobs has 3 connections one of which is a 8 pin black connection with only 3 wires. It seems likely that this is another LIN bus feed and perhaps I could just simply splice into it??? Thoughts?

Note Mopar use to sell a standalone Microphone (82211743AB) for any of its radios. It has been discontinued but appears available on e-bay. I bought a similar microphone from Infotainment. Both microphones were about $50 with enough feed to reach the top of the A-channels. The Infotainment one was nice as it was long enough to reach the sunroof microphone and small enough to fit right next to it on the sunroof motor's switch trim. I was never able to find a Mopar harness that would work between the factory sunroof microphone and the 730N. Ideally such a harness would fit between the 730N and the main radio wiring harness behind the 730N. Making such a beast as a one time project would be more trouble than its worth. It would be easier to make a new harness with the right 10 pin microphone connection for the 730N and a full length 3 wire circuit to the 3-pin connection on the sunroof microphone. My Infotainment microphone is only 3 wires and could provide the wiring template. Since I have a working Infotainment microphone, I am not too motivated to do anything more. However, I would probable buy either solution, if similarly priced and available.

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
What are the 3 wire colors in that black 8-way HVAC connector?
Some Uconnect info.

Font Number Document Screenshot Parallel

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As you probably expected, pins 1-5 are empty, 6 is red, 7 is black, and 8 looks a lot like White/Dark Green. The colors of most striped wires shade as they age. I suppose I could just plug this 8 pin black connector into the ESC/emergency connection on the radio trim and see if it works? Perhaps it is the correct harness for the ESC/emergency features and it is not necessary for the fan/temp/flow knobs? If it is required then maybe I could spice the pigtail you recommended right off this black 8 pin connector using slots 2-4. I have the soldering tools necessary. A pin removal and insertion tool for the 8-pin connector would be nice to have, provided there is such a beast? Thoughts?

Thanks for the PDFs. Note I upgraded the 730N from firmware 2.184 to 2.700 a month ago and I also upgraded Gracenotes to 6908. These upgrades made both USB ports functional which previously they were not; but they did nothing for the wired Sunroof microphone. Also it is nice to have a fully featured Uconnect manual versus the limited amount that is in the 200 Owners Manual. Are there any updates of these PDFs that are current with SW 2.700/6908? Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I plugged the black 8-pin connector from the fan/temp/flow knobs into the ESC/emergency flash trim and sure enough the emergency flash button worked; plus the ESC lit up 'off' when the ESC button was depressed and then disappeared when it was released. Unfortunately this only worked when the ignition switch was in the on position; it did not work with the ignition switch in the off position, as it should when the 200 is disabled. I suspect the ESC/emergency flash trim 8-pin connector must get its hot feed from the ignition switch.

I reviewed the maintenance records of the 200 and confirmed my memories that this car was stolen and then recovered in August 2016. These records verified that a Chrysler dealership replaced the ignition cylinder at that time, as part of the effort to rekey the entire car. That procedure requires pulling the old ignition switch, which would involve disconnecting all of its wiring. I suspect that is when the ESC/emergency flash trim 8-pin harness disappeared. I have a Hanes Chrysler 200 service manual; but its wiring diagrams do not show the 8-pin harness at all. Please provide one that shows where it connects?

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
Usually when a vehicle is stolen, the ign switch and surrounding dash area is smashed. The dash area wiring connectors probably had to be all unplugged and then plugged in again when the dash pieces were replaced.
Part of the dash wiring harness might have got torn out from the theft? That would explain why you can't find the connector. Do you see evidence of stretched or ripped wiring?

When you unplugged the 8-way connector from the HVAC control, did all the HVAC functions still work?
The LIN bus recognized the ESC and hazard switches when you tried them. We just have to supply battery (not ign-on) power for the hazard switch function.

The other end of the harness still has the be there, even if the connector is gone. You can slice in a new pigtail once you find those 3 wires. Inspect the area around the ignition switch for left-over damage. I hope that these attachments help.

Urban design Font Engineering Automotive lighting Screenshot

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FYI a couple of young boys,10-13, helped my elderly mother carry her groceries into the house and simply stole her car keys right off the end table next to the front door. In that same night a thief came back with the keys and simply drove the car away. It was found abandoned several days later in good condition, but without the keys and some missing personal belongings that had been inside the car.

I did not check the HVAC system when the black 8-pin was connected to the fan... trim. Once I determined its connection did not provide a hot feed I decided to try and find the missing ESC... 8-pin harness as mixing a hot feed with the HVAC LIN feed might create the potential, however remote, for other problems. If I fail to find the missing harness, then the HVAC LIN feed is always an option. Hopefully her dealership simply failed to reconnect the harness and it is in good condition somewhere below the dash. Thanks for the additional information.

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
Sorry about the theft. Moms are too trusting sometimes. You don't expect things like this to happen and I don't think that you can totally get over this violation. At least it wasn't smashed or trashed.
I would take one last look for the harness end. It should look exactly like the one on the HVAC. It is black and probably tucked out of view.
If you get the pigtail, splice into the LIN wire. Ground should be easy to do, just look for a metal structure. Battery power should be available at a nearby radio memory or power outlet wire?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I could not find the missing cable or snipped wires anywhere; indeed there was nothing on the path below either trim toward the center console carpet that would indicate any harness would follow that path toward the ignition switch. I looked at some radio replacement videos that show the missing 8-pin harness and they indicate it would follow the same path as the black 8-pin harness of the climate control knobs. So I tried the black 8-pin harness again on the ESC/emergency 8-pin connection and the flashing worked as before, but this time even with ignition switch off (although there was some delay). This time I also checked the climate control knobs without the black 8-pin harness and they were fully functional. Afterwards I found a climate control trim replacement video that clearly shows nothing was plugged into its black 8-pin connector (Surprise, surprise!!!). The mistake must have happened when the ignition switch was replaced.

I have been thinking about adding seat warmers. Would another 8-pin 3-wire LIN bus connection be necessary for the seat warmers? The climate control knobs have another grey 8-pin 3 wire connection that is probably already performing that function. I suspect that the electronics that connects via 4 screws to the button faceplate is already programmed for seat warmers? Only the faceplate need be replaced?

Thanks for all of your help?

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
Theoretically you could, if you found a donor car. I think that the heated seats have a different module & the switches are bussed to the instrument cluster (CCN module). All the wires may not be there.
Usually when a car is not optioned with heated seats, it is more than just the seats & switches.
DESCRIPTION

Vehicles with the heated seat option can be visually identified by the two heated seat switches (1 and 2), located in the instrument panel center bezel (3). The heated seat system allows the driver and front seat passenger to select from two different levels of heat (high and low). The heated seat system for this vehicle in includes the following major components:

OPERATION
The heated seat system operates on battery current received through a fuse in the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). Fused ignition switch output (run) circuits are used, so that the heated seat system will only operate when the ignition switch is in the On position. The heated seat system will turn off automatically whenever the ignition switch is turned to any position except On.
A Heated Seat Module is used to control the heated seat system. The module responds to heated seat switch messages and ignition switch status inputs by controlling the electrical output to the front seat heating elements through integral solid-state relays.
When either of the heated seat switches are pressed, a resistance signal is sent to the Cab Compartment Node (CCN) over the Local Interface NetworK (LIN) data bas. The CCN then sends a request message over the LIN bus to the heated seat module, signaling the module to energize the heating elements for the selected seat. Amber Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) in each heated seat switch indicate the level of heat in use: Two LEDs illuminate for high, one for low, and none for off. Pressing a heated seat switch once will select high-level heating and pressing the same switch a second time will select low-level heating. Pressing the switch a third time will shut the heating elements off.
The heated seat module energizes an integral solid-state relay, which supplies battery current to the heating elements. When high-level heating is first selected, the module provides a boosted heat level during the first four minutes of operation. After the initial four minutes of operation, the heat output then drops to the normal high-level temperature. If high-level heating is initially selected, the heated seat control system will automatically switch to the low-level temperature after thirty minutes of continuous operation. At that time, the number of illuminated LEDs change from two to one, indicating the temperature change. Operation in the low-level setting automatically turns off after thirty minutes.
The heated seat module will turn off the heated seat elements if an open or short in the heating element circuit is detected.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Schematic

Automotive lighting Automotive design Font Rectangle Plastic

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This car is a 2013 Chrysler 200 Touring model and, according to its VIN's feature dump, the heated seats were optional and simply a dealer value added option. The driver seat is a power seat, the passenger seat is not. Does that mean the heating pads are already there? It is not a big deal to change out the climate control center bezel with one that has heated seat buttons. If the pads are already there, supposedly a dealer need only enable the feature for a small fee?

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
I have never heard of this. It wouldn't make sense for the manufacturer to have most of the hardware present for an option and not have it complete. This is expensive hardware.
The build order is usually either 'with' or 'without'.

You can look for the heating pad/module connectors & wires.
Mopar did offer a kit for Durango/Grand Cherokee (discontinued), but it didn't include the 200/Avenger.
I see aftermarket kits in a Google search.
Automotive design Font Parallel Chair Line art

Product Font Material property Screenshot Number

Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Screenshot

Sleeve Font Pattern Publication Office supplies

1 - 19 of 19 Posts