Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Chrysler 200 Limited Convertible, 3.6L about a year ago, it just up and quit running while I was going down the road. It wouldn't restart, had to get it towed to a dealer.
When we unhooked it from the tow truck, I tried starting it and it started right up. Since it was already at the dealers and I didn't know what caused it to quit running, I had them check it out.
They said it was a "software problem" and they upgraded the software for +$300. Car ran fine until about a month ago, when it just up and quit running again. It wouldn't restart again, so had to get another tow. Again once at the dealers and unhooked from the tow truck, it started again. This time the dealer was closed, so I said screw it and drove it home. My buddy had an OBD reader and it showed the 200 threw a P0441 code. That was the only code.
Did some research and saw that one of the possible sources of the code could be bad/loose/dirty gas cap. So I cleaned it and put it back on and the car seemed to run fine again. Then 3 days ago the check engine light came on, so when I got home I scanned the codes and it showed the P0441 code. I cleared the code and checked the gas cap again, and it looked fine. Well today, coming home for lunch it just up and quit running again. I tried restarting and it wouldn't start. Fiddled with the gas cap and tried again, and still nothing. Walked around and asked a couple of local car businesses if they had an OBD scanner so I could see if it threw a code and clear it and see if the car would start. Well, none of them had a scanner they would let me borrow. So I walked back over to my car, and before I decided to call a tow truck I gave it one more try at starting and it started up.
I drove it home and scanned for codes and this time it showed there were no codes....not a one. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and if I could find where the **** Purge Control Valve is I would probably spend the money and get a replacement. But, I cannot find anything on the internet that shows where the thing is at on my 2013 3.6L 200 Limited Convertible. I watched a couple of videos that showed a 2013 3.6L 200, but it was a Town and Country and my purge valve is not on the firewall where they show in their video.
I'm not motivated to take it back to the same dealer to get charged another $300 for a fix that may or may not work.....Could someone give me a video or picture of where it is located in the 2013 3.6L 200 Limited Convertible? Please!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Please break your post into paragraphs; a single block of text is difficult for me to get through. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe a loose vacuum line under the hood? Seeing how it dies and won't restart until excessive vacuum has released, which may be restricting fuel flow? We were putzing around under the hood of my 200 and we left a vacuum line loose, it threw a evaporative system code. I wonder if you got a kink in a line under the hood. just some ideas that may be way off base.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2013 Chrysler 200 Limited Convertible, 3.6L about a year ago, it just up and quit running while I was going down the road. It wouldn't restart, had to get it towed to a dealer. When we unhooked it from the tow truck, I tried starting it and it started right up. Since it was already at the dealers and I didn't know what caused it to quit running, I had them check it out. They said it was a "software problem" and they upgraded the software for +$300. Car ran fine until about a month ago, when it just up and quit running again. It wouldn't restart again, so had to get another tow. Again once at the dealers and unhooked from the tow truck, it started again. This time the dealer was closed, so I said screw it and drove it home. My buddy had an OBD reader and it showed the 200 threw a P0441 code. That was the only code. Did some research and saw that one of the possible sources of the code could be bad/loose/dirty gas cap. So I cleaned it and put it back on and the car seemed to run fine again. Then 3 days ago the check engine light came on, so when I got home I scanned the codes and it showed the P0441 code. I cleared the code and checked the gas cap again, and it looked fine. Well today, coming home for lunch it just up and quit running again. I tried restarting and it wouldn't start. Fiddled with the gas cap and tried again, and still nothing. Walked around and asked a couple of local car businesses if they had an OBD scanner so I could see if it threw a code and clear it and see if the car would start. Well, none of them had a scanner they would let me borrow. So I walked back over to my car, and before I decided to call a tow truck I gave it one more try at starting and it started up. I drove it home and scanned for codes and this time it showed there were no codes....not a one. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and if I could find where the **** Purge Control Valve is I would probably spend the money and get a replacement. But, I cannot find anything on the internet that shows where the thing is at on my 2013 3.6L 200 Limited Convertible. I watched a couple of videos that showed a 2013 3.6L 200, but it was a Town and Country and my purge valve is not on the firewall where they show in their video.
I'm not motivated to take it back to the same dealer to get charged another $300 for a fix that may or may not work.....Could someone give me a video or picture of where it is located in the 2013 3.6L 200 Limited Convertible? Please!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi. this happened with my 2011. my mechanic found corrosion at Battery post. it's in the well by the front driver side tire. He replaced this post/terminal and i have been trouble free for over a year now. Have these battery terminals/posts checked

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,227 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It sounds as if you have 2 unrelated problems, the intermittent no-start & the evaporative emissions code.
The P0441 fuel vapor purge issue will not affect the engine running or cause it to quit.
I would not just replace the purge valve. They have a low failure rate anyways.

There have been intermittent 'stall-no starts' from defective crankshaft position (CKP) sensors. To catch it on a scanner during failure may be the only way to prove this as it may not leave behind a fault code. The symptom would be: no spark.
Usually a fuel problem will 'sputter' before it quits. A spark problem is usually just shuts down as if you turned the key off. A similar issue here:

New 200 Owner.. 3.6 Stalling without Codes..
Hello all, I've searched the forums but have not seen one that ends with a solution. My vehicle is a 2013 200 Limited with the 3.6 Engine. this vehicle stalled literally 20 minutes from the car lot I bought it at.. We drove it for 2 hours while test driving with no issues just for the record...
www.200forums.com
www.200forums.com

P0441 may or may not be related to the gas cap. System sealing is important. I have had a layer of surface rust on the filler tube where it meets the rubber seal on the cap. I lightly sanded off the rust and applied a layer of silicone grease to seal the cap. Let us know what you find.

See Possible Causes on p.4 here:
p0441-pdf.57946

A discussion here:

The software update at the dealer was likely this one?:

Font Parallel Rectangle Number Screenshot

·
Registered
2013 200 Touring 2.4
5 Posts
I have a 2013 Chrysler 200 Limited Convertible, 3.6L about a year ago, it just up and quit running while I was going down the road. It wouldn't restart, had to get it towed to a dealer.
When we unhooked it from the tow truck, I tried starting it and it started right up. Since it was already at the dealers and I didn't know what caused it to quit running, I had them check it out.
They said it was a "software problem" and they upgraded the software for +$300. Car ran fine until about a month ago, when it just up and quit running again. It wouldn't restart again, so had to get another tow. Again once at the dealers and unhooked from the tow truck, it started again. This time the dealer was closed, so I said screw it and drove it home. My buddy had an OBD reader and it showed the 200 threw a P0441 code. That was the only code.
Did some research and saw that one of the possible sources of the code could be bad/loose/dirty gas cap. So I cleaned it and put it back on and the car seemed to run fine again. Then 3 days ago the check engine light came on, so when I got home I scanned the codes and it showed the P0441 code. I cleared the code and checked the gas cap again, and it looked fine. Well today, coming home for lunch it just up and quit running again. I tried restarting and it wouldn't start. Fiddled with the gas cap and tried again, and still nothing. Walked around and asked a couple of local car businesses if they had an OBD scanner so I could see if it threw a code and clear it and see if the car would start. Well, none of them had a scanner they would let me borrow. So I walked back over to my car, and before I decided to call a tow truck I gave it one more try at starting and it started up.
I drove it home and scanned for codes and this time it showed there were no codes....not a one. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and if I could find where the **** Purge Control Valve is I would probably spend the money and get a replacement. But, I cannot find anything on the internet that shows where the thing is at on my 2013 3.6L 200 Limited Convertible. I watched a couple of videos that showed a 2013 3.6L 200, but it was a Town and Country and my purge valve is not on the firewall where they show in their video.
I also have a 2013 200. Mine is a 2.4 Touring. Anyway, mine was doing the same thing. No notice just died while driving. Mine acted like it was in Limp mode. I had a misfire on #2 injector, dealership said computer needed replaced. Well....I looked all over the internet and found a video on YouTube with a 200 with the same symptoms. This guy swore by his repair that it fixed his car. He replaced the throttle body assembly. Told my husband about the video after he had been trying to figure it out. He took my car to the shop he works at, him and the shop owner hooked it up to their diag computer. Sure enough it recommended to replace the throttle body assembly. He replaced it and I swear I have not had any more problems since. !!!! Finally !!!!
Best of luck to you I know how irritating it is. On YouTube search

·
Registered
2013 200 Touring 2.4
5 Posts
I also have a 2013 200. Mine is a 2.4 Touring. Anyway, mine was doing the same thing. No notice just died while driving. Mine acted like it was in Limp mode. I had a misfire on #2 injector, dealership said computer needed replaced. Well....I looked all over the internet and found a video on YouTube with a 200 with the same symptoms. This guy swore by his repair that it fixed his car. He replaced the throttle body assembly. Told my husband about the video after he had been trying to figure it out. He took my car to the shop he works at, him and the shop owner hooked it up to their diag computer. Sure enough it recommended to replace the throttle body assembly. He replaced it and I swear I have not had any more problems since. !!!! Finally !!!!
Best of luck to you I know how irritating here's a link to the video

1 - 8 of 8 Posts