Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my mom has a 2013 Chr 200. She has lost 1 key, so we want to get a spare made. The key is the type that needs cut and programmed. The dealer wants a couple hundred $ for a spare key. We are looking at other options... The local hardware store said if I brought a blank in, they would cut it and program it, but they would not guarantee it would work... I’m just looking for something that will unlock and start the car... If they cut the key and mess up the programming, will it still start the car? (Is there some kind of communication with the key required to start the car?)

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,156 Posts
Welcome to the forums.The car has a 'secret' 4-digit code that must match the 4-digit key code.
Dealer prices will vary as will hardware store or keysmith services. I would call about 3 of them to take your best deal.

The expensive part is the RKE/Remote start button functions. If you can do without those, a gray-gripped SKIM/SKIS valet key should be able to be cut and programmed for much less. This will lock/unlock the door and start the car.
An example:

OPERATION
When the ignition switch is turned to the On position, the Sentry Key REmote Entry Module (SKREEM), sometimes referred to as the Wireless Control Module (WCM), communicates through its antenna with the Sentry Key transponder using a Radio Frequency (RF) signal. The SKREEM/WCM then listens for a RF response from the transponder through the same antenna. The Sentry Key transponder chip is within the range of the SKREEM/WCM transceiver antenna ring when it is inserted into the ignition lock cylinder. The SKREEM/WCM determines whether a valid key is present in the ignition lock cylinder based upon the response from the transponder. If a valid key is detected, that fact is communicated by the SKREEM/WCM to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus, and the PCM allows the engine to continue running. If the PCM receives an invalid key message, or receives no message from the SKREEM/WCM over the CAN data bus, the engine will be disabled after about two seconds of operation. The ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) will also respond to the invalid key message on the CAN data bus by flashing the security indicator on and off.

Each Sentry Key has a unique transponder identification code permanently programmed into it by the manufacturer. Likewise, the SKREEM/WCM has a unique Secret Key code programmed into it by the manufacturer. When a Sentry Key is programmed into the memory of the SKREEM/WCM, the SKREEM/WCM stores the transponder identification code from the Sentry Key, and the Sentry Key learns the Secret Key code from the SKREEM/WCM. Once the Sentry Key learns the Secret Key code of the SKREEM/WCM, it is permanently stored in the memory of the transponder. Therefore, once a Sentry Key has been programmed to a particular vehicle, it cannot be used on any other vehicle.

The Sentry Key REmote Entry System (SKREES), sometimes referred to as the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS), performs a self-test each time the ignition switch is turned to the On position, and will store key-related fault information in the form of a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) in SKREEM/WCM memory if a Sentry Key transponder problem is detected. The Sentry Key transponder chip can be diagnosed, and any stored DTC can be retrieved using a diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

Common communication problems:

• Two transponder keys too close together.
  • Speed Pass too close to transponder key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks again. I thought I would give you an update on what I did... I called the dealer to ask about a ‘valet’ key. They looked it up and said they didn’t make one for that vehicle. So, I called a local locksmith. I told him I just wanted something to unlock the doors and start the vehicle. Told him the “valet” story and he thought it was my terminology... They technically don’t make a valet key for that vehicle (valet won’t unlock the glove box or trunk) But they do make a key like you’ve shown that doesn’t have the wireless features... He made me that so I am now good!
It was still $65 total, but I can live with that...

Interesting locksmith (in his 30s)... Got tired of his factory job so he invested his life savings into this mobile locksmith business last year just as the world shut down... (gulp) Anyway, he survived and is VERY busy today. He loves his job and wouldn’t change anything.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had the WCM replaced and my wife's key wouldn't work. The dealer programmed it free. That jolted me into buying two keys with FOB for $35. ( Google Chrysler Keys online). Dealer cut both for $30. I then used the procedure in the owners manual to program them. This guarantees I won't ever lose a key. You have to have two keys to do the programming.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glad you got your key problem solved. When I bought my 2013 touring 200 I ask for a second key and was told I only get one. Well I told them I have never had a car with out a second key, which is true. Truly I thought all cars came with two keys and said I will not buy the car without a second key and they gave me another key, at that time they told me it normally cost 225 dollars. I have a second car 2017 and I have two keys same thing I said I will not buy the car without a second key and I got a second key. When spending over 20,000 dollars it is hard to believe a second key is not included.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,156 Posts
Having a back-up key is important.
All new cars are shipped with 2 new keys, used cars can vary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts