Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Chrysler 200 Convertible and it has a clicking blend door actuator, but the clicking is coming from behind the instrument cluster. I took the glove box off and checked all three blend door actuator behind glove box and it was not any of them! The noise is coming from the drivers side, behind the instrument cluster. Does anyone have a link for changing this blend door actuator?

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,077 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The blend-air actuator is on the drivers side above your foot. They usually only make the 'clicking' noise when the door is stuck and/or the plastic teeth are stripped. There are silent and/or intermittent failure modes as well.
If you have a knee airbag, follow all cautions & warnings. Disconnect the battery.

DESCRIPTION
An Automatic Temperature Controlled (ATC) single zone type heating-A/C system is standard on this model.
To maintain the performance level of the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system, the engine cooling system must be properly maintained. The use of a bug screen is not recommended. Any obstructions in front of the radiator or A/C condenser will reduce the performance of the A/C and engine cooling systems.
The engine cooling system includes the radiator, thermostat, radiator hoses and the engine coolant pump. Refer to 7 - Cooling for more information before opening or attempting any service to the engine cooling system.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Organism Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Product Font Auto part Parallel Diagram

Based upon the system mode selected, conditioned air can exit the HVAC housing through one or a combination of the three main housing outlets: defrost, panel or floor. The defrost and panel outlets are located on the top of the HVAC air distribution housing and the floor outlets are located on each side of the distribution housing. Once the conditioned air exits the HVAC housing, it is further directed through molded plastic ducts to the various outlets within the vehicle interior. These outlets and their locations are as follows:

• Defroster Outlet - Two defroster outlets are located in the center of the instrument panel, near the base of the windshield.
  • Side Window Demister Outlets - There are two side window demister outlets, one is located at each outboard end of the instrument panel, near the A-pillars.
  • Panel Outlets - There are four panel outlets in the instrument panel, one located near each outboard end of the instrument panel facing the rear of the vehicle and two located near the top of the instrument panel center bezel.
  • Front Floor Outlets - There are two front floor outlets, one located on each side the floor panel center tunnel behind the instrument panel.
  • Rear Seat Floor Outlets - There are two rear seat floor outlets, one located on each side of the floor panel near the front of each rear seat foot well.
DESCRIPTION

The blend door actuator (1) for the heating-A/C system is a reversible, 12-volt Direct Current (DC) servo motor, which is mechanically connected to the blend-air door. The blend door actuator is located on the left side of the HVAC air distribution housing.
The blend door actuator is interchangeable with the actuator for the mode-air doors and the recirculation-air door. Each actuator is contained within an identical black molded plastic housing with an integral wire connector receptacle (2). Each actuator also has an identical output shaft (3) with splines that connect it to its respective door linkage and integral mounting tabs (4) that allow the actuator to be secured to the HVAC housing. The blend door actuator does not require mechanical indexing to the blend-air door, as it is electronically calibrated by the A/C-heater control.

OPERATION
The blend door actuator is connected to the A/C-heater control through the vehicle electrical system by a dedicated two-wire lead and connector of the instrument panel wire harness. The blend door actuator can move the blend-air door in two directions. When the A/C-heater control pulls the voltage on one side of the motor connection high and the other connection low, the blend-air door will move in one direction. When the A/C-heater control reverses the polarity of the voltage to the motor, the blend-air door moves in the opposite direction. Once the A/C-heater control makes the voltage to both connections high or both connections low, the blend-air door stops and will not move.
The A/C-heater control uses a pulse-count positioning system to monitor the operation and relative position of the blend door actuator and the blend-air door. The A/C-heater control learns the blend-air door stop positions during the calibration procedure and will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) for any problems it detects in the blend door actuator circuits (refer to 24 - HVAC Electrical Diagnostics for more information).
The blend door actuator cannot be adjusted or repaired and it must be replaced if found inoperative or damaged.

REMOVAL

WARNING:Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to follow these instructions may result in accidental airbag deployment and possible serious or fatal injury.

NOTE:LHD model shown. RHD model similar.
  1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
  2. On RHD models, remove the glove box bin. (DISREGARD THIS AS YOURS IS LHD).
  3. Disconnect the wire harness connector from the blend door actuator located on the left side of the HVAC air distribution housing.
  4. Remove the two screws that secure the blend door actuator to the air distribution housing and remove the actuator.
INSTALLATION

1. Position the blend door actuator onto the left side of the HVAC air distribution housing . If necessary, rotate the actuator slightly to align the splines on the actuator output shaft with those in the blend air door linkage.
  2. Install the two screws that secure the blend door actuator to the air distribution housing. Tighten the screws to 2 N·m (17 in. lbs.).
  3. Connect the wire harness connector to the blend door actuator.
  4. On RHD models, install the glove box bin. (DISREGARD THIS AS YOURS IS LHD).
  5. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  6. Initiate the Actuator Calibration function using a capable scan tool.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2013 200 touring modal and have had to change all three on mine. The one on the driver's side was the hardest to change. The two behind the glove box not too hard, I removed my glove box and could feel the one which was clicking. I opened the old actuators up and what happened on mine was not the plastic gear but the plastic shaft which I think is part of the gear which broke. All three of mine were the same, the one on the driver's side has an actuator which is a little different only because the same actuator hooks to a control arm (control arm was white as I remember), but still used the same actuator. I was able to google video on how to change the actuators behind the glove box. I didn't find any you tube videos on the one on the driver's side. You can google how to remove the glove box also. The one on the driver's side is not easy because you have to lay on your back looking under the dash to the right of the gas pedal and left side of center console, not easy to see or get your hands up in there. The last one I changed was about 2020 and the actuator cost me a little more than 20 dollars, but it was not OEM. My 2013 driver's side actuator could be seen by laying on the floorboard drivers' side with flashlight. It was a pain changing it, but I don't remember having to remove much stuff to get to it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts