Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Chrysler 200 S with 111,000 miles. I changed my electronic throttle back in 2018 and now 2 years later I am having issues. My mechanic did some preventative maintenance, check fluids and it was fine about a month ago. Today its 12 degrees and when I start it the light pops on. I rev it up myself and its fine. It is garage kept so when I start it up in my garage its fine. It just seems that when its cold it gets weird. Any tips??

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S
184 Posts
Welcome to the forums. There should be a stored fault code in the PCM that is associated with the ETC warning light. Even if the light goes out, the code should still be stored in memory for OBDII or scan tool retrieval.
There is a TSB 18-037-17 that addresses some issues, but doesn't mention the ETC light:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forums. There should be a stored fault code in the PCM that is associated with the ETC warning light. Even if the light goes out, the code should still be stored in memory for OBDII or scan tool retrieval.
There is a TSB 18-037-17 that addresses some issues, but doesn't mention the ETC light:

Thank you so much for the information. I went back out side 3 hours later in the cold and the light did not turn on. Do you think it could be a sensor?

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S
184 Posts
The light wouldn't need to be on for the fault code to be stored. A local auto parts store may be able to read the code with an OBDII code reader.
If you have the dash EVIC message display, that might also show the fault code. It should start with the letter 'P' followed by 4 digits.
Don't guess or replace anything yet. Having the code will help us diagnose the issue and what will fix the car.

·
Registered
272 Posts
These cars are known for the plastic gears in the throttle body stripping and slipping, resulting in improper throttle plate motion. This recently happened to my wife's 2012. At first it was intermittent, with P2110 and P2118 codes, and ESC and ETC warning lights. Finally the lights and codes would not clear, it was stuck in limp-in mode, and I had to replace the throttle body. Chrysler now has a replacement generation throttle body with removable plastic cover to access the gears, instead of a metal crimped-on cover, with a different stepper motor. Since the motor has a different connector, and the pinout is different, the throttle body comes with a rework kit of instructions, new connector, and wires with the crimp terminals attached, and with splices and heat shrink tubing. It was about $400 for everything. If you have the original throttle body style with metal crimped cover, they don't want it back for a core. I suspect the new throttle bodies also have the same plastic gears, but they will be serviceable now, with a removable plastic cover.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes must check code, mine did this also on cold mornings when the throttle body bolts were loose.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes must check code, mine did this also on cold mornings when the throttle body bolts were loose.
The bolts were just a little loose on my wife's car, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 turn, but that didn't solve the problem.
Spec is 65 in-lb, and on the replacement throttle body it's 80-in-lb. So maybe Chrysler also figured out that they were loosening; but for sure the plastic gears will strip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2013 Chrysler 200 S with 111,000 miles. I changed my electronic throttle back in 2018 and now 2 years later I am having issues. My mechanic did some preventative maintenance, check fluids and it was fine about a month ago. Today its 12 degrees and when I start it the light pops on. I rev it up myself and its fine. It is garage kept so when I start it up in my garage its fine. It just seems that when its cold it gets weird. Any tips??
Once you find out, tell me why my BRAKE idiot light comes on and my rear camera works only when my ABS light is on, when there's absolutely nothing wrong with my ABS or emergency brake. Chrysler definitely doesn't do electronics worth a darn.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The brake light might be coming on due to a low fluid level in the brake fluid reservoir. It happened on my 2012 and is a normal situation because as the brake pads wear down they need to extend out more to compensate and consequently the fluid level drops. I think it is mentioned in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The brake light might be coming on due to a low fluid level in the brake fluid reservoir. It happened on my 2012 and is a normal situation because as the brake pads wear down they need to extend out more to compensate and consequently the fluid level drops. I think it is mentioned in the owner's manual.
Dale_K,

We are sorry to hear of your concerns. Please don't hesitate reaching out to us privately should you need additional assistance.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

1 - 10 of 10 Posts