Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently have encountered a very bad problem with my 2013 Chrysler 200. The car suddenly while I'm driving shuts down the RPM drops to zero and the power steering goes off and the car is no longer running. Then I wait a couple of minutes and it runs again !! There is no check engine light or any error codes. I went to a my mechanic to check it and he computer scanned it and nothing appeared he went ahead and checked the fuse box and there wasn't anything wrong. I was told that this might be a bad fuel pump and I changed it 2 weeks ago, but still I'm getting the same issue. Then I went ahead and changed the spark plugs and the problem still happens.

Hope you guys can help me with that.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm just guessing but maybe the battery or battery connections? If it happens again try blowing the horn when it cuts off. If the horn works I'm wrong. You could hook up a mechanical fuel pressure gauge and try to put it in a spot where you can see it while driving (might need to tape it to the cowl area) and see it loses fuel pressure when the problem happens. Like I said I'm just guessing.

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
356 Posts
Welcome to the forums. You will need to diagnose this while it is acting up. If it starts and runs, everything will look normal. Fault codes are nice, but you can't always expect them to be there. This may be something that isn't monitored by the PCM or it is still a believable value to the PCM.
Do you have a scan tool that you can drive with to watch for loss of cam or crankshaft position sensor signal? Some scan tools can record data up to and after the time of stall.
Does it lose spark or fuel or both?
The tach gets its signal from the crankshaft position sensor, but I am not saying that is definitely the problem.
Always diagnose first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im sure it is not the battery Dal_K. I had this issue before I changed the battery last time and it still exists.

Unfortunately I don't have a scan tool. Do you know a good scan tool to do that job and more? , I believe it's a great investment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im sure it is not the battery Dal_K. I had this issue before I changed the battery last time and it still exists.

Unfortunately I don't have a scan tool. Do you know a good scan tool to do that job and more? , I believe it's a great investment.
Once again mine did the same thing changed throttle body assembly fixed that problem but still having misfires

·
Registered
562 Posts
You can get a generic ODBII code reader at Walmart or Amazon that won't cost much and it will be usable on 99% of the cars on the road today. There is software available for your car that only costs $50 (also needs a special device to plug into the ODBII port that will cost another $30) that gives you basically all the diagnostic capabilities of the dealers diagnostic system. It requires a Windows laptop. Here is a link to the software. I bought it myself for my 2012 200 convertible and it works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts