Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning! It has been a good while since my last post (some three years ago).

I have a 2013 Chrysler 200 V6 that now has 202,000 miles on it. I drive a lot. Most of it is highway mileage. I now live in the country and have some country backroads (45 - 55mph) to navigate.

I am fairly good at taking care of my car. I am no mechanic, but I do enjoy working on my car. Well, I am getting older so I recently decided that I am not going to mess with that any longer so all work will be done by a professional. I do tend to purchase my own parts, however (from RockAuto.com).

I have had older, high mileage cars before (my last two cars fit that bill) and around the 200,000 mile marker things start to fail. I would like to avoid that with this car.

What would a sound plan of attack be to replace parts - and in what specific order - so as to be pro-active vs. reactive (breaking down on a county road far away from everything is a bit of a PITA, to be honest). Don't have a ton of money for this, but do indeed budget some $100 a month for "Car Maintenance". Currently have $145 in that "envelope".

Recent Activity:
1. 3,000 miles ago I replaced all four tires.
2. 10,000 miles ago I replaced the rear, driver-side wheel bearing (was shot).
3. 10,000 miles ago I replaced the two front calipers (the driver-side caliper was sticking).
4. 18,000 miles ago I replaced the thermostat and performed a coolant flush.
5. 22,000 miles ago I replaced the coils and spark plugs.

I change the oil every 12,000 to 15,000 miles (I use the Mobil or Penzoil Full Synthetic 15,000 Mile Oil) and I replace the Oil Filter (I use the Mopar or the STP 'regular' Oil Filters) every 4,000 miles.

I am about to replace both front and back Brake Pads.

I appreciate any and all input. Thank you!!!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,513 Posts
Welcome home. I consider maintenance a pre-emptive repair. Fluids do carry 'dirt & debris' and additives break down and wear out.
A full fluid change is good practice at regular intervals (say every 60K miles?).

Bleed the brakes at all 4 wheels until it runs clear. As the brake fluid ages, it darkens and absorbs water.

Change the Power steering fluid, this should be the same stuff as for the transaxle. ATF+4 that meets Chrysler MS-9602. The Walmart Supertech ATF+4 meets this Material Standard and smells like the Mopar stuff, the Castrol Transmax ATF+4 does not.

For the transaxle, the factory manual still says to drop the pan and change the filter. This gives an opportunity to see what's at the pan bottom and on the magnet. Clean, reassemble and refill. If there is no external leaks, put back in what came out. I made a dipstick out of a piece of old speedometer cable. Listen for the 'thunk' as it hits the pan bottom and go no further. It varies quite a bit warm to cold. I go by the chart below:

Cooling system service is about every 10 yrs/150K miles. Use an OAT based coolant meeting Chrysler MS-12106. A 50/50 mix with distilled water is good. I save the condensate from the dehumidifier in a couple gallon jugs for distilled water.
Chrysler says that no additives are necessary, but I add a bottle of Techron to the tank once a year.

The V6 had a software update on TSB # 18-102-16A. It can make a difference in driving & shifting if it hasn't been done already:
000000003b9bc261

1 - 3 of 3 Posts