Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had a 2014 Convertible with a rag top for a few months now and the last time I drove it during a storm, rainwater began to leak in around the top weatherstripping of the driver and passenger windows. There was quite a bit coming in and upon closer inspection there was warping on the door interior where it had leaked in before I bought it. Looking at the weather stripping on the outside I noticed the stripping seems warped and folded on both sides of the car in the same place and the same way, so much so it seems that it may be a design choice and not the cause of my problem. Given that I bought the car used, I don't know if it came this was from the factory. So my questions are; do all 2014 convertibles have the same fold as in the attached pictures? And more in general, how could I fix the leaking in general?
TLDR: Is this normal and how can I fix my leaky window?
20190428_132958.jpg 20190428_133008.jpg 20190428_133108.jpg

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have a 2012 convertible with a similar problem with the weatherstripping except mine doesn't leak. You might need a new weatherstripping seal. I think the seal runs across the top and down both sides. Some folks had this problem when the car was still under warranty and had the seal replaced. Sometimes the replacement seal did the same thing until the dealer techs realized the fundamental problem was that the window itself needed to be adjusted. I'm not saying that is necessarily what's going on with your car but if the new seal folds over again the window might need adjusting.

Now it's possible that the folded over area might not be the source of the leak. Like I said mine looks almost exactly like yours but it doesn't leak. I would take a hose and run water over the suspicious area and test it. Work up from the bottom with the water because there is another place that might be leaking and if you run it all over the corner of the car you won't know which of the two things is the real leak. If you see a leak as you run the water directly at the suspicious area then the folded over piece is likely your problem. But if it doesn't now you need to check the second possible source. If you open the door with the window rolled down and look at the top of the weatherstripping you will see that it is hollow and there is a hole in the center. This is a drain hole for water running along the windshield header. The hollow section of the seal empties the water against the front off the door jamb about half way up between the hinges. You could try to blow through the hole or use something like a turkey baster to inject some water in the tube to see if it drains out like it's supposed to. If you're really lucky the drain tube is stopped up. Otherwise you'll probably need to get the entire seal replaced. I think the part is about $100 but I don't know what the whole job will cost. Plus there is a chance that the new one will fold over too and the work will have to be done a second time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts