Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed about 3 weeks ago a tick in my V6 2014 Chrysler Limited.

I pulled in to my local (knowledgeable) Chrysler dealer with 79,999 miles today. I met with the Asst. Service Manager, he verified I do have the Pentastar tick.

He told me that Chrysler is not paying for any repairs regarding this.

I am over the 5 year time period for warranty service but way under the 100K mileage limit for the drive train.

I always get the oil changed around 5K miles. I enjoyed this car up to this point.

Anyone else experiencing the tick?

Thanks Don

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
977 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Do you have receipts for the oil used and did it meet Chrysler MS-6395? You can escalate this to the senior service manager and the district service manager.
A member; ChryslerCares also visits this forum from time-to-time. I don't think that they can give yes or no answers to warranty coverage, but they are willing to follow a customer repair from beginning to end, which may offer you peace of mind.
Gather all your records. Sometimes you can work out a $100 deductible or a 50/50 split with parts and labor. Sometimes there is money in the kitty for good customers.
The damage may be limited to a single rocker (needle bearings) or lifter (collapsed)?
I use a synthetic motor oil meeting MS-6395 (Pennzoil) and Mopar filters, only because it looks good if I had to present proof of proper maintenance. Best of luck with this. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums. Do you have receipts for the oil used and did it meet Chrysler MS-6395? You can escalate this to the senior service manager and the district service manager.
A member; ChryslerCares also visits this forum from time-to-time. I don't think that they can give yes or no answers to warranty coverage, but they are willing to follow a customer repair from beginning to end, which may offer you peace of mind.
Gather all your records. Sometimes you can work out a $100 deductible or a 50/50 split with parts and labor. Sometimes there is money in the kitty for good customers.
The damage may be limited to a single rocker (needle bearings) or lifter (collapsed)?
I use a synthetic motor oil meeting MS-6395 (Pennzoil) and Mopar filters, only because it looks good if I had to present proof of proper maintenance. Best of luck with this. :)
Thanks for your advice- 200 S AWD..... I do have my copies off all oil changes completed since purchasing the car in 2017. As to meeting the spec who knows- the oil was all nationally recognized brands- I started running synthetic about 15K miles ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the response I received from Chrysler: 😝🙁

We are disappointed to learn of the concern with the engine in your 2014 Chrysler 200. We understand your frustration and fully appreciate your concern, particularly in view of the expense and inconvenience involved, however, we are unable to accommodate your request for out-of-warranty consideration. The vehicle has exceeded the limitations of the warranty we offered on the vehicle at the time it was placed into service. Although we are unable to provide a more favorable reply, we appreciate the opportunity to review your request.

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
Well, you asked and the worst they could say was 'no'. The car is 7 years old.
I'm sorry this happened to you. :( Begin with an estimate and their shop policies.
Save the old parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All I can say is is am 61 years old, have owned over at least 30 different cars, by different manufacturers, different types of vehicles (quite a few high end sport cars) etc.

However this is the fist time I have ever had a major engine issue under 80K miles in my life. This is the 5th Chrysler product I have owned- each Chrysler vehicle had their own unique story- and there was a story why they were not a great car, some were close but there was always something lacking with the quality of the vehicle. You dedicated Chrysler guys honestly know what I am talking about, I know you do.

This will be my last Chrysler product I will ever purchase.

My nephew a few weeks ago was trying to decide a Mini Van purchase between a Honda Odyssey and Chrysler Pacifica, I told him that I would disown him if he purchased the Pacifica.... this was before my issues. LOL. He did not purchase the Pacifica by the way.

Thanks, Don

·
Super Moderator
2,620 Posts
I am crazy and thinking of getting a 200 V6 first gen as a beater... this would be my 4th 200. It's why I am still on here.

I have never heard of the "Pentastar tick" and didn't have this on any of the 3 I owned. I have heard of the Hemi "tick" I had one (06 Chrysler 300C ) that had this "problem" that wasn't an actual problem and although very annoying and I didn't like it, the problem didn't affect it's performance.

Reactions: fltru103 and N8200C

·
Registered
175 Posts
Where is the update on this major engine failure? Hmmmm..... I'm with Black Knight on this one. A simple check for metal in the oil filter would take minutes. Probably nothing. Eight years now on mine. Running great. Got over 110,000 miles on the first set of brake pads and they could have went farther.

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
The Pentastar is still one of Ward's 10 best engines in the world.
This doesn't necessarily mean that things never go wrong.
Use a premium motor oil that meets Chrysler MS-6395. I prefer a synthetic oil and use Mopar oil filters.

Attachments

Reactions: fltru103
1 - 9 of 9 Posts