Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,227 Posts
I would begin at the battery terminals. They may look OK from the outside, but take them right off and wire brush the post & terminal contact areas. The unseen corrosion that builds up here can make for a poor connection.
How old is the battery? Most auto parts stores offer a free battery/charging test out in the parking lot if they can spare a counter person.

Poor/ corroded body grounds and TIPM connections need to be inspected, snugged & cleaned. Some body ground attaching points may be hidden from view. Follow the harnesses with a keen eye. Look in the hidden spots.
Really bad alternator 'ripple' or worn brushes can cause flickering lights.
Keep us updated with what you find.
Automotive lighting Product Rectangle Automotive design Jaw

Organism Font Rectangle Circle Screenshot

Organism World Map Font Screenshot

Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Organism Font Circle Rectangle Screenshot

Organism Font Circle Rectangle Screenshot

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery is prolly a year old.actully bought the car off my mom.she blew the head gasket and so i put one on it.and its runnin fine now but I believe it outta time by jus a tiny tiny bit.would that cause it?

·
Administrator
2,227 Posts
Does the idle seem too slow? If bringing the engine speed up slightly stops the flicker, maybe the idle is slow & rough?
There is no idle speed adjustment. Are the throttle body blade & bore clean? Sometimes carbon deposits will restrict the intake air at closed throttle.

There was a TSB #18-058-17 for updating the PCM software in 2017. It addresses a rough idle/cold start on 2.4L PZEV and idle cycling on all 2.4L, among other improvements. If it hasn't been done yet, contact your dealer.
Font Number Screenshot Document Parallel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I cleaned the throttle body good when I put the head gasket on. It actually idles fast at start up then calms down and quit one time stopin to makin a left turn..hooked it up and read two codes.0016 and 0017 which was camshaft position sensors a and b. Changed em both and codes still there .so figured it was outta time tiny bit

·
Administrator
2,227 Posts
The cam/crank misalignment will have to be addressed first and may be the whole issue. If you changed the sensors and still have the faults, the sensors aren't the problem and the misalignment is real. The sensor are telling you the truth.
Go through the 'Possible Causes' for P0016 below. P0017 would be similar, just the other cam.
#1 on the list is oil. Since the MultiAir uses oil pressure to position the cams, it is most important to be the correct oil type & weight. A motor oil meeting Chrysler MS (material standard) - 6395 is important. Synthetics have come down in price.

Font Circle Terrestrial plant Document Brand

Font Number Circle Document Paper

Font Number Circle Document Screenshot

Font Rectangle Circle Art Magenta

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Electric blue

Font Document Number Screenshot

Font Rectangle Number Screenshot Circle

Since this issue happened after the head gasket replacement, I think that the timing marks will have to be checked next. The marks have to line up 'dead nuts'. Something may have moved during reassembly? There is no 'one tooth off' with these valvetrains.

·
Administrator
2,227 Posts
20W-30 is heavier than it should be. The 5W-20 was chosen because the MultiAir and VVT work with oil pressure and need quick reaction times for changing conditions.The thinner oil does not affect engine life.
The Tigershark 2.4L calls for 0W-20 synthetic.
Rectangle Font Circle Number Paper product

1 - 11 of 11 Posts