Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a leak in my car on heat can smell coolant and only leaks a lil then quits I got down and looked and seen a drip on the very bottom of the plastic housin.so is it my heater core or is somthing inside loose?

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,227 Posts
Before condemning the heater core, check the hoses and clamps on the engine-side of the firewall. I have seen them leak here and 'blow' coolant into the HVAC housing.
Font Map Slope Diagram Design

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aint leakin on the fire wall side .it leaks out the bottom of the plastic housin on the very bottom below the heater core but only does it sometimes and jus leaks for a sec. I still got heat and air..its got me confused for sure....

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,227 Posts
I have seen these leaks be 'intermittent'. I am not a fan of 'stop-leak' products that may or may not 'fix' this. Stop-leak can clog small passages too. I leave that decision to you.
A tool like a borescope can look inside the housing and you may actually 'see' the leak source'. A UV dye can be added to the coolant to make the leak spot fluoresce. These tools are becoming common and inexpensive. They can plug into a laptop or phone. Auto parts store may even 'loan' them.
Font Schematic Engineering Parallel Auto part

There is a 'shortcut' method of replacing the core, if needed. 2014 may have a knee airbag. Disconnect the battery and follow all safety procedures when handling airbags.
At this point, it would make sense to flush the entire cooling system. Use OAT-type coolant meeting Chrysler MS-12106 and distilled water. I save some water from the dehumidifier instead of pouring it down the drain. It's useful around the house also.
Don't mix coolant types. Chrysler switched from HOAT to OAT in 2013.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts