Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 2014 with 84,000 miles. The dealer said the brakes had just been replaced and rotors inspected. When breaking at around 35mph and up, the car is doing a tiny swerve/wiggle and then goes back to normal. There's no shaking and it stops fine. The car still drives very smoothly when it happens. I have a warranty that I purchased at the dealership that should cover it if I need to have something fixed, but it doesn't cover the diagnostic, which is $130 an hour. Does anyone have any ideas about what would cause this? My appointment is 2 weeks from now and I'm wondering if this might be a safety issue at all until then. Even though the swerve is tiny, it's very disconcerting because for 1 second you feel like your losing control of the car.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,653 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I've had cars do this little 'swerve' dance and then stop straight. You may notice that the brake hangs for an instant when starting back out, then the car rolls. One front wheel may be warmer to the touch that the other after a drive.

What I found was the front brake hoses were beginning to collapse internally. The restricted hose delays the pressure getting to a caliper and prevents an immediate brake caliper release when taking your foot off the pedal.
Replace both front brake hoses. Bleed all the old fluid out, both front & rear until the fluid runs clear.
Contaminated brake fluid is known to swell rubber parts.

Reactions: innooper and Noclue

·
Registered
548 Posts
I just bought a used 2014 with 84,000 miles. The dealer said the brakes had just been replaced and rotors inspected. When breaking at around 35mph and up, the car is doing a tiny swerve/wiggle and then goes back to normal. There's no shaking and it stops fine. The car still drives very smoothly when it happens. I have a warranty that I purchased at the dealership that should cover it if I need to have something fixed, but it doesn't cover the diagnostic, which is $130 an hour. Does anyone have any ideas about what would cause this? My appointment is 2 weeks from now and I'm wondering if this might be a safety issue at all until then. Even though the swerve is tiny, it's very disconcerting because for 1 second you feel like your losing control of the car.
Hello! Please know we are also here to help alongside your dealer visit. Send us a private message to start an exchange with our team!

Hannah
Chrysler Cares

1 - 4 of 4 Posts