Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I’m in need of your opinions & experience with the 200 3.6l. I’m looking to buy a first gen 2014. I’ve done some research. Ive read the transmissions are known to have issues, and the car is known to stall. I actually own a 15’ dodge dart with the 2.4l tiger shark engine, so I’m familiar with dodge/Chrysler and the issues that come with them. This is why I’m looking at the v6. Should I buy a 2014 touring v6 with 100k miles for under $5k? It did recently pass a ca smog check. I’m looking at it tomorrow with my mechanic cousin, but he’s not too familiar with dodge & Chrysler. This is not to replace my dart, this is for my 16 y/o daughter, and for back up, since I depend on a dodge to get around. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,322 Posts
Welcome to the forums. As with any 7 (going on 8) year old used car, it may need some work. Any work at this point might be considered 'maintenance'. You want to forestall any major, costly repairs.
Drive it, listen and feel for any 'out-of-the-ordinary' vibrations, noises or behaviors.

This should have the 62TE, 6-speed. No shift gaps, slips or harsh shifts. No whine. Has the fluid & filter been changed? If not, a transaxle service may be something it should have. There is no dipstick, but there is a dipstick tube to sample and sniff the fluid for burnt color or odor. Use ATF+4 meeting Chrysler MS-9602 only.

It has the 10 yr/150K mile OAT coolant (like the Dart), so you should have some time left on that.

Take a moment to make sure that all the dash controls work, including A/C, defrost and heat. Turn things on and off.
Move the seats, adjust the mirrors, try the radio, etc.

Do a walk-around. Past accidents are OK as long as it was repaired correctly.

Does the interior smell OK? No water leak or musty odors?

You can get a feel for if the car was really cared for or if it just had a quick 'doll-up' for sale. If the car has been in the family, instead of being flipped, it might have a story. Listen to the story to get a feel for the honesty of the seller.

There is a TSB to help it run and shift better. If this hasn't been done yet, I suggest having it done. Many dealers give a free vehicle look-over (it helps to sell work) if on a lift to check the underside on a lift. As long as they don't see anything urgent, take their recommendations with with you for future service consideration.

I once considered a JS-body (2012-2014) Sebring/200 for myself, but wanted something newer so I got a UF-body (2015+) 200 instead. They salt the roads here in Winter and some of the older Sebring/200/Avengers are starting to rust.
I had a 2007 Caliber before, a good car but not a great car.

TSB # 18-102-18A:

Reactions: fltru103

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums. As with any 7 (going on 8) year old used car, it may need some work. Any work at this point might be considered 'maintenance'. You want to forestall any major, costly repairs.
Drive it, listen and feel for any 'out-of-the-ordinary' vibrations, noises or behaviors.

This should have the 62TE, 6-speed. No shift gaps, slips or harsh shifts. No whine. Has the fluid & filter been changed? If not, a transaxle service may be something it should have. There is no dipstick, but there is a dipstick tube to sample and sniff the fluid for burnt color or odor. Use ATF+4 meeting Chrysler MS-9602 only.

It has the 10 yr/150K mile OAT coolant (like the Dart), so you should have some time left on that.

Take a moment to make sure that all the dash controls work, including A/C, defrost and heat. Turn things on and off.
Move the seats, adjust the mirrors, try the radio, etc.

Do a walk-around. Past accidents are OK as long as it was repaired correctly.

Does the interior smell OK? No water leak or musty odors?

You can get a feel for if the car was really cared for or if it just had a quick 'doll-up' for sale. If the car has been in the family, instead of being flipped, it might have a story. Listen to the story to get a feel for the honesty of the seller.

There is a TSB to help it run and shift better. If this hasn't been done yet, I suggest having it done. Many dealers give a free vehicle look-over (it helps to sell work) if on a lift to check the underside on a lift. As long as they don't see anything urgent, take their recommendations with with you for future service consideration.

I once considered a JS-body (2012-2014) Sebring/200 for myself, but wanted something newer so I got a UF-body (2015+) 200 instead. They salt the roads here in Winter and some of the older Sebring/200/Avengers are starting to rust.
I had a 2007 Caliber before, a good car but not a great car.

TSB # 18-102-18A:
Thanks for responding. Checked it over just like u said, & had my mechanic cousin come with. Ended up buying it for $3900. It needs some tlc & a few things, but that’s expected with a 2014. Once we get it cleaned up I’ll post some pics. Thanks again! My daughter is so excited.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts