Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! The car is 2014 200 V6. I was just doing a normal inspection on the car, because it takes a long time to heat up to operating temperature. (15 mins exactly to reach from 20 C to 90 C coolant temp) I had my OBD scanner plugged in and reading operating temperature off that. The car was warming up slowly until 75 degrees C as normal. Double checked the thermostat being closed and the radiator hose cold. Suddenly, the fans kicked in at 75 degrees and were on until about 82-85 degrees C from the readings on the OBD Scanner. All of this was done in a garage with an ambient temperature of 15 degrees C. Never had issues with overheating but I am just wondering why the fans kick in early. Could this be my ECT Sensor starting to fail?
Any help is appreciated.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,695 Posts
Was the HVAC control on defrost or floor/defrost?
The fan may have kicked on because the A/C compressor kicked on to dehumidify to air blowing on the windshield. This behavior is normal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was the HVAC control on defrost or floor/defrost?
The fan may have kicked on because the A/C compressor kicked on to dehumidify to air blowing on the windshield. This behavior is normal.
No, the HVAC was fully turned off, that is why I am confused. Also, should mention this was the first time the car has started after a month of sitting.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,695 Posts
This may be normal. Back in the day, we used to have belt-driven fans that pulled air through the radiator fins all the time.
When we went to electric fans that only ran when needed, owners saw steam-off out of the grille when stopped during cool, damp weather with a warming radiator.
This alarmed people who weren't used to seeing steam and their first thought would be 'overheating!'
This was fixed by having the fans run at a low speed during warm-up and a simple engineering software fix. No more steaming.

If you wish to diagnose this deeper, you may want a scan tool that can read sensed temperatures and 'fan request' states.

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Technology

Rectangle Font Circle Magenta Pattern

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This may be normal. Back in the day, we used to have belt-driven fans that pulled air through the radiator fins all the time.
When we went to electric fans that only ran when needed, owners saw steam-off out of the grille when stopped during damp weather with a warming radiator.
This alarmed people who weren't used to seeing steam and the first though was 'overheating!'
This was fixed by having the fans run at a low speed during warm-up and a simple engineering software fix. No more steaming.

If you wish to diagnose this deeper, you may want a scan tool that can read sensed temperatures and 'fan request' states.

View attachment 58514

View attachment 58515

View attachment 58516
AHHHH THE ANTI STEAMING PROGRAMMING WOULD EXPLAIN THIS. It turned on for about 2 minutes and it was idling the whole time. (first start-up in a month lol). Thank you so much for all your help. All the conditions in that programming were there, so it makes more sense now. Thank you again for all your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts