Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,653 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The amp is located behind the glovebox in the instrument panel.

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
Looks like the center console has to be moved rearward and the glovebox removed.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Here is a video showing how to access the amp.

I continue to have an intermittent signal to my front passenger door speaker. Flexing the wire harness to the door doesn't seem to affect it. So possibly an intermittent connection. I haven't decided yet whether to start troubleshooting with connectors at the amp or the speaker.

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
Both the radio & the amp can store fault codes to help trace the cause & what to look for. Very useful for intermittents. You will need a scan tool that is capable of reading Body codes.

AMP:
  • B146F-11-CHANNEL 4 AUDIO SPEAKER OUTPUT - CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
  • B146F-12-CHANNEL 4 AUDIO SPEAKER OUTPUT - CIRCUIT SHORT TO BATTERY
  • B146F-13-CHANNEL 4 AUDIO SPEAKER OUTPUT - CIRCUIT OPEN
  • B146F-92-CHANNEL 4 AUDIO SPEAKER OUTPUT - PERFORMANCE OR INCORRECT OPERATION
  • B1473-00-CHANNEL 4 AUDIO SPEAKER OUTPUT CIRCUIT SHORTED TOGETHER

• RADIO:

• B1404-11-FRONT RIGHT AUDIO SPEAKER OUTPUT - CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND - PREMIUM
  • B1404-12-FRONT RIGHT AUDIO SPEAKER OUTPUT - CIRCUIT SHORT TO BATTERY - PREMIUM
  • B1404-13-FRONT RIGHT AUDIO SPEAKER OUTPUT - CIRCUIT OPEN - PREMIUM
  • B1404-1A-FRONT RIGHT AUDIO SPEAKER OUTPUT - CIRCUIT RESISTANCE BELOW THRESHOLD - PREMIUM
  • B1404-92-FRONT RIGHT AUDIO SPEAKER OUTPUT - PERFORMANCE OR INCORRECT OPERATION

·
Registered
878 Posts
AlfaOBD shows no fault codes for radio or amp.

So I suspect the problem is not an intermittent short, but rather an intermittent loss of continuity. Question is whether it is a fault with the amp, head unit, speaker, or a connector or wiring in between. So I'm trying to figure out which is easiest to check first / most likely.

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
There is also a no-fault code section. Depending on how intermittent this RF failure is, you could swap the front door speakers to see if the failure stays in the RF door or moves with the speaker?

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - SPEAKER
Any diagnosis of the Audio system should begin with the use of the scan tool. For information on the use of the scan tool, refer to the appropriate Diagnostic Service information.

For complete circuit diagrams, refer to the appropriate wiring information.

WARNING:
Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, seat belt tensioner, side airbag or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery (ground) cable. Wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to follow these instructions may result in accidental airbag deployment and possible serious or fatal injury.

CAUTION:
The speaker output of the radio is a “floating ground” system. Do not allow any speaker lead to short to ground, as damage to the radio may result.

1. If all speakers are inoperative, check the radio fuses. If OK, go to Step 2. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
  2. Check the amplifier fuse (if equipped). If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Turn the radio receiver ON. Adjust the balance and fader control controls to check the performance of each individual speaker. Note the speaker locations that are not performing correctly. Go to Step 4.
  4. Turn the radio receiver OFF. Turn the ignition OFF. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. If vehicle is not equipped with a amplifier, remove the radio receiver. If vehicle is equipped with an amplifier, disconnect wire harness connector at output side of amplifier. Go to Step 5.
  5. Check both the speaker feed (+) circuit and return (-) circuit cavities for the inoperative speaker at the radio receiver wire harness connector for continuity to ground. There should be no continuity. If OK, go to Step 6. If not OK, repair the shorted speaker feed (+) and/or return (-) circuit(s) to the speaker as required.
  6. Disconnect wire harness connector at the inoperative speaker. Check for continuity between the speaker feed (+) circuit cavities of the radio receiver wire harness connector or if equipped, the amplifier wire harness connector and the speaker wire harness connector. Repeat the check between the speaker return (-) circuit cavities of the radio receiver wire harness connector and the speaker wire harness connector. In each case, there should be continuity. If OK, replace the faulty speaker. If not OK, repair the open speaker feed (+) and/or return (-) circuit(s) as required.

Attachments

Reactions: Pennhaven

·
Registered
878 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion and info. At this point, I'd like to proceed with whichever first step is easiest.

i.e., Is it opening up the doors to access the speakers or removing the glove compartment to access the amp and harnesses?

I understand how get to the amp. Is there a guide on how to remove the door trim to access the speaker?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Reactions: 200_S_AWD
1 - 11 of 11 Posts