Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my Chrysler 200 for seven months I’ve never had a problem whatsoever pulled in my driveway two days ago and now I can’t get it out of my driveway because it won’t start at first there was lights in the dash and everything just when I went to crank it it wouldn’t turn over, now the park in neutral gear selection, blink when I try to turn the car over.....Yeah I’ve seen a lot about this being a common problem in the 2015 but has anybody found a solution to it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well for instance when the problem first happened I went down to O’Reillys and had them check my battery they said the battery was A little low but charged up extremely fast and it’s only eight months old so I took the battery back to my car and it started right up drove my car that day everything is fine car sat that night the next morning it was telling me no key fob was detected then that my engine was too hot when I hadn’t ran in 16 hours then it said service airbag call systems now the dash lights don’t say anything after I unhook the battery for a period of time but the park in neutral gearshiftSpots blink rapidly back-and-forth

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s the same problem that a lot of the other 2015 200’s had And I’ve seen a lot about it,But most of what I read is people taking their car into the Chrysler dealerships get charged 150 bucks for the problem to just keep happening only my car won’t start again everybody else’s seems to start back up eventually

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did you determine it is not the battery; was it recently replaced?
1 h ago

Well for instance when the problem first happened I went down to O’Reillys and had them check my battery they said the battery was A little low but charged up extremely fast and it’s only eight months old so I took the battery back to my car and it started right up drove my car that day everything is fine car sat that night the next morning it was telling me no key fob was detected then that my engine was too hot when I hadn’t ran in 16 hours then it said service airbag call systems now the dash lights don’t say anything after I unhook the battery for a period of time but the park in neutral gearshiftSpots blink rapidly back-and-forth

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
I would still bet it's the battery.
Age and a battery condition mean nothing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would still bet it's the battery.
Age and a battery condition mean nothing.

Even though O’Reilly’s and my battery charger say that it’s good you think there still a chance that it’s bad?

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
I just hooked my battery charger back up to the car and I got power back but still won’t start
Battery must be at a full charge.
Charge it overnight ( if you have a trickle charger ) to bring it to a full charge.
I have seen plenty of batteries that show good, but have an internal issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When oreily's noted the battery was 'a little low' can you recall what the initial reading was? An 8 month old battery should be at 12.4 volts or better. After the charge, the car started and ran fine but the next day, all sorts of electrical weirdness (low voltage?). Hooking up the battery charger got lamps,etc back but no start (higher voltage but not enough to crank)

These are all symptoms of a weak/failing battery. The TIPM monitors battery voltage and will not crank if the voltage is low. The computer modules go wacko if the voltage gets low. My 2014 just simply stopped cranking overnight. Got a new battery and have not had a problem since.

May also want to have the charging system checked to be certain it is able to fully charge the battery.

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
802 Posts
Also a low CCA (cold cranking amps) reading (below rating) generally indicates that a battery is on its way out.
If you drove to the auto parts store and parked it for a few minutes before testing it, the battery shouldn't have been "low".

·
Registered
479 Posts
I’ve had my Chrysler 200 for seven months I’ve never had a problem whatsoever pulled in my driveway two days ago and now I can’t get it out of my driveway because it won’t start at first there was lights in the dash and everything just when I went to crank it it wouldn’t turn over, now the park in neutral gear selection, blink when I try to turn the car over.....Yeah I’ve seen a lot about this being a common problem in the 2015 but has anybody found a solution to it?
How did you make out?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would have the ECU re-flashed to see if the program is out of sequence. Any Chrysler Dealership should be able to quickly figure out the problem.

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
802 Posts
By 'not starting', you mean that the starter won't crank over the engine? If the gear selector leds are blinking back and forth, then the transaxle may not know that it is in Park or Neutral.
This condition will not allow starter operation for safety.
It may be a loss of CAN bus communication between modules or a fault in the ESM (electronic shift module)?
There is an ESM update available:
Other module updates/enhancements may be available that can be performed at the same visit with the dealer tool hooked up also.

·
Registered
2016 Chrysler 200s 2.4L
137 Posts
I like 200_S_AWD's answers also... As the computers NEED a proper voltage to work correctly and a slightly low battery can/will cause all kinds of problems in these cars...

To the OP ... You said "at first there was lights in the dash and everything just when I went to crank it it wouldn’t turn over, now the park in neutral gear selection, blink when I try to turn the car over"...
If you are trying to crank the engine and the lights go out it usually indicates a bad electrical connection (high resistance)... The high current draw during cranking through a high resistance connection (corrosion or loose connection) usually causes those symptoms... A battery replaced without properly cleaning the terminals or wire connections can cause a problem later especially during cold weather... If the battery was replaced at the dealership you may still have a bad battery... The manufacturer of these batteries had problems with high internal resistances that could show up at any time... Have the battery checked with a LOAD meter that puts a resistor load on the battery as a simple battery diagnose meter won't put it under a real load and a bad battery will show GOOD... Clean the battery terminals (posts) and the wire connections until they are shiny and then add some silicon grease to keep the connections from corroding...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts