Chrysler 200 Forum banner

381 - 398 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Even though this message is a few years old, I have had the same problem. I'm on my second transmission. Still having intermittent problems with the second one that at this point, only me as the owner would understand. Coming back from Florida last month, got off at an exit to get gas. Stopped at a red light, turned left and the transmission was stuck in first gear. Wouldn't come out. Had to pull off to the side of the road. (More negative advertising for Chrysler) This transmission at the very least is very lethargic at times. I know that the people at Chrysler monitor this site. They told me to take it to the dealer to have it looked at but the problem is I don't have a second car anymore. My dealer wanted the car for 3-4 days to have a tech drive it. I told them I needed a loaner. They said if they couldn't find any problems that I would be responsible for the loaner cost which would be 30-40 dollars per day. I didn't want to risk having them say we cant find any problem since its intermittent so I told the dealer I would wait until it totally fails, then I'll have it towed in for public advertisement. Chrysler corporate agreed with them so I told them "guess what car brand I am not going to buy next time?"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cars been at the dealer since April 22nd. Fairly long investigation as to why the factory Mopar battery cracked and leaked acid on the transmission harness while I had the vehicle parked, not in use for several days. All the while I continue to pay for insurance and financing. Tired of hearing all the 'I'm sorry' bullshit day after day. It's funny how they'll charge 4000 for a repair or give a trade in value of 7000 on a car that was perfect at under 36000 km. Amazing experience chrysler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also had a thought 2-3 and 4-5th gear change and yesterday Chrysler dealership has updated with latest software and its a big improvement.
It's almost a smooth and fast gearbox.
My car is a 3.6V6 4wd version.
I recomend to ask for this software upgrade.
Regarding

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you ever find out what was wrong? I am having the exact same issue with mine. I keep reading different solutions but many problems do not match mine exactly but your scenario does. I'm hoping you figured it out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hello,

I own a 2015 200 S with 9k miles. Driving home from work Wednesday at highway speeds I got a message that said "Service Transmission" as well as a check engine light. When I tried to accelerate it would not shift out of 8th gear and the paddle shifters would not shift either. I came to a red light eventually and pulled to the side. Once green I realized I had very little power. I shut the car off and restarted it to find the CEI light still on but the transmission message gone. I drove slowly to the dealer where after two days of reprogramming the TCM they say that they have ordered a valve body for the transmission and it will be done next week. I see there are many issues with these transmissions. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I have read a few posts that say some people needed a whole new transmission. I am just worried the dealership is just guessing at the issue. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
I just had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday driving on the HWY on the way home. The service transmission message came on in the display in red with a temp gauge above it. The car stayed in 8th gear and wouldn't go out of 8th even though I accelerated. When I got to the off ramp and came to a complete stop the message went away and the car went back to 1st gear. The check engine light stayed on however. I parked my car overnight on my driveway and this morning when I left the check engine light was still on. Then when I got on the HWY I got the service transmission message again. Again it stayed on until I came to a stop. I am going to bring the car in to get it checked. Hopefully this isn't going to be something costly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just to add another data point to this my 2015 200 is now in for transmission replacement due to these issues. It started with the transmission not properly downshifting from 5 when braking, causing a lag in power on moving turns (this is brought up in other threads here too) and then at the end of July I got all the error messages mentioned here and the transmission wouldn't let me shift out of park no matter what position I put the gear selector in. Thankfully this only ever happened when the car was parked and I started the engine. At first disconnecting the battery for a few minutes would clear the errors and at least let me drive it, though the check engine light would stay on. The dealer reflashed several modules, including the TCM, and while the errors went away the car still had downshifting issues.

After the warnings happened again I took it back in and they needed several days to diagnose it but they said it needed a new transmission valve body and ordered one. The car was drivable at the time so I took it home while waiting for the part. But then while parked in my garage the car once again brought up the errors and no amount of disconnecting the battery would get it to allow me to take it out of park. So roadside towed it in to the dealer. They replaced the valve body but that didn't fix it so now it's getting a whole new transmission. Hopefully that will fix everything and I'll have my car back soon. This is all covered under warranty so that is good but they've had my car almost a month and I'm not exactly happy with the dealer's service department (not for the delays, that was more on Chrysler for their warranty procedures, but for other reasons related to their poor customer service).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings everyone. First time poster. I have a 2015 Chrysler 200C with the 3.6 V6. Bought this car used in March of 2019 with 35,000 miles on it. Now has 46,000.

Per CarFax report, this vehicles transmission computer module was replaced and the PCM programmed on 1-24-2017 @ 11,199 miles. This past Monday Upon starting the vehicle (cold start), observed error messages present on the dash display. “Transmission requires service”, “Performance features disabled”, and “Service Park Brake”. Also present was the “check engine light”. The car could not be put into a drive gear.

I shut off the car and restarted it after a few moments. The previous error messages appeared again but then cleared, but the check engine light was still present. I was now able to put the vehicle into drive, and I then drove to Bald Hill Dodge to speak with the service department and make an appointment to diagnose the issue.

Other observations: Aside from the issue detailed above, the transmission does not shift as smoothly as it should. On occasion, it feels as though the transmission stays in a particular gear to long, and when it finally shifts into the next gear, it does so in a surging / bucking manner. This observation has most frequently occurred during moderate acceleration. When the vehicle is “babied” / driven slow and steady, the transmission issues are less prominent.

I have an appointment with the dealer on Friday, hoping for the best. I love this car, but cant enjoy it if it wont be reliable for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

As other users have experienced or mentioned, you may just need the TCM update. I would also check if the ‘wiring harness’ recall was done. I never did the recall and started to get the same transmission errors. Upon completion, it fixed the error. Chrysler paid for my rental car as well!

Best of luck!

Greetings everyone. First time poster. I have a 2015 Chrysler 200C with the 3.6 V6. Bought this car used in March of 2019 with 35,000 miles on it. Now has 46,000.

Per CarFax report, this vehicles transmission computer module was replaced and the PCM programmed on 1-24-2017 @ 11,199 miles. This past Monday Upon starting the vehicle (cold start), observed error messages present on the dash display. “Transmission requires service”, “Performance features disabled”, and “Service Park Brake”. Also present was the “check engine light”. The car could not be put into a drive gear.

I shut off the car and restarted it after a few moments. The previous error messages appeared again but then cleared, but the check engine light was still present. I was now able to put the vehicle into drive, and I then drove to Bald Hill Dodge to speak with the service department and make an appointment to diagnose the issue.

Other observations: Aside from the issue detailed above, the transmission does not shift as smoothly as it should. On occasion, it feels as though the transmission stays in a particular gear to long, and when it finally shifts into the next gear, it does so in a surging / bucking manner. This observation has most frequently occurred during moderate acceleration. When the vehicle is “babied” / driven slow and steady, the transmission issues are less prominent.

I have an appointment with the dealer on Friday, hoping for the best. I love this car, but cant enjoy it if it wont be reliable for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Nick! I'm going to ask the dealer to run a report and tell me if my vehicle has any outstanding recalls that have not been addressed, including the wiring harness recall. I did find a list of recalls for the vehicle on the web.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Nick! I'm going to ask the dealer to run a report and tell me if my vehicle has any outstanding recalls that have not been addressed, including the wiring harness recall. I did find a list of recalls for the vehicle on the web.
Go online to check if there are any outstanding recalls so you are armed with information when you visit the dealer. To gauge whether they have their act together, I would not ask them to run recalls since they should be doing that automatically. You can certainly bring it up if they don't report any recalls to you. I am under the impression that any recalls will prominently appear on their computer screen when they enter your VIN so that they are in compliance with federal law regarding these service campaigns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I received word from the dealer on Friday that I'm in need of a new transmission, and that it is being replaced under factory warranty. Also got a free rental for the duration of the repair. I have not had the opportunity to discuss the details of what they found during inspection, but I will speak to the service manager this week. I'm just relieved that the repair / replacement of the transmission is covered under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I
Hello,

I own a 2015 200 S with 9k miles. Driving home from work Wednesday at highway speeds I got a message that said "Service Transmission" as well as a check engine light. When I tried to accelerate it would not shift out of 8th gear and the paddle shifters would not shift either. I came to a red light eventually and pulled to the side. Once green I realized I had very little power. I shut the car off and restarted it to find the CEI light still on but the transmission message gone. I drove slowly to the dealer where after two days of reprogramming the TCM they say that they have ordered a valve body for the transmission and it will be done next week. I see there are many issues with these transmissions. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I have read a few posts that say some people needed a whole new transmission. I am just worried the dealership is just guessing at the issue. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
have chrysler 200 a and i get the

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have chrysler 200 a also and i get the sane service transmission light and dealership says they can’t fix the problem also oil pressure sensor went out in my vehicle why am i having so many problems with this vehicle

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would suggest taking it to a different dealer if you can, especially if you're still covered under the powertrain warranty. They definitely can do something to fix the transmission problems, though it might be expensive if you don't have warranty coverage. It could be as simple as a software update, others have had it fixed by replacing the valve body, and some have had to have the entire transmission replaced, like I had to last year. I would take it to another dealer and have them diagnose it though, it sounds like the dealer you went to doesn't want the work for some reason.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have chrysler 200 a also and i get the sane service transmission light and dealership says they can’t fix the problem also oil pressure sensor went out in my vehicle why am i having so many problems with this vehicle
They had a recall on the 2015 200 wiring you might want to check into it

·
Registered
6 Posts
They had a recall on something to do with the wiring for the trans you might check into it the dealership had to fix my2015 their was a recall and another issue in 2016 and the dealership pd for that one too

381 - 398 of 398 Posts