Chrysler 200 Forum banner
401 - 413 of 413 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I own a 2015 200 S with 9k miles. Driving home from work Wednesday at highway speeds I got a message that said "Service Transmission" as well as a check engine light. When I tried to accelerate it would not shift out of 8th gear and the paddle shifters would not shift either. I came to a red light eventually and pulled to the side. Once green I realized I had very little power. I shut the car off and restarted it to find the CEI light still on but the transmission message gone. I drove slowly to the dealer where after two days of reprogramming the TCM they say that they have ordered a valve body for the transmission and it will be done next week. I see there are many issues with these transmissions. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I have read a few posts that say some people needed a whole new transmission. I am just worried the dealership is just guessing at the issue. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Yes sir I have same problem with my car please tell me what can I do my phone number is +16473904602 please msg me on phone

·
Super Moderator
2,227 Posts
Yes sir I have same problem with my car please tell me what can I do my phone number is +16473904602 please msg me on phone
The only thing you can do right now is have the dealer inspect the vehicle. It should have stored some fault codes and there are a couple of recalls that need to be checked to see if they were done.
Begin your search here: Motor Vehicle Safety Recalls Database

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I started having a problem with the tranny slamming in to 5th gear, when the car wasn't accelerating, just coasting. Took it to a dealership and they determined that the valve body needed to be replaced. They replaced it last week, under warranty (90,000 km) and it works like a charm. Good job Chrysler.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I started having a problem with the tranny slamming in to 5th gear, when the car wasn't accelerating, just coasting. Took it to a dealership and they determined that the valve body needed to be replaced. They replaced it last week, under warranty (90,000 km) and it works like a charm. Good job Chrysler.
I bet they also did a software update to cure the 5th gear slamming issue

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

I own a 2015 200 S with 9k miles. Driving home from work Wednesday at highway speeds I got a message that said "Service Transmission" as well as a check engine light. When I tried to accelerate it would not shift out of 8th gear and the paddle shifters would not shift either. I came to a red light eventually and pulled to the side. Once green I realized I had very little power. I shut the car off and restarted it to find the CEI light still on but the transmission message gone. I drove slowly to the dealer where after two days of reprogramming the TCM they say that they have ordered a valve body for the transmission and it will be done next week. I see there are many issues with these transmissions. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I have read a few posts that say some people needed a whole new transmission. I am just worried the dealership is just guessing at the issue. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey so I have the same model as you but mine is awd not sure if we’ve got the exact same but I’m currently having the same issue where it won’t go out of 4th and put itself into limp mode and says service transmission and engine light came on in trying to figure pricing what it may be what the best route is to take. It’s also out of warranty so you can see my dilemma I bought it in may so I’ve had it for about 5-6 months now and don’t know what to do I feel like I’m in a pickle at this point

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, not to resurrect an old thread, but I have an issue that's similar to this. I have the 15 with the 9 speed trans. It has 132xxx on the clock. So not sure with all you guys having new ones with your woes, I feel like I'm showing off with my mileage :laugh: anyway. So I'm getting a P0810, service trans and "shift to park" messages. But, my issue is, when mine gets hot, it starts to fail. Cold start is beautiful, shifts good, etc. So, thinking about changing fluid and filter, if possible, and maybe the tcm if this continues. When I get the service message, it comes up with the cogwheel for the trans, and a thermometer. Overheating. But on my scan tool last time this happened, it was at 71C (160F). It's not cold by any means. Am I right to think maybe a good drain and fill may fix my woes? The P0810, clutch position control error, only comes up with it being hot. If I cold start, sometimes the MIL is off, if it's on I can clear it and it stays gone until it warms up. That's what leads me to believe to change the tcm. Maybe with a better generation, a 16 or a 17 computer. As long as the numbers match and the gear ratios are right.
Interested in seeing some replies.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,653 Posts
Welcome to the forums. See the 'Possible Causes' list for P0810. A Mopar-ZF Lifeguard 8/9 fluid change 'might' fix it. The filter isn't serviced. Any fluid leaks? (low fluid is a possible cause).
Is the TCM at the latest and greatest software version?:

PCM?:

Have a Quicklearn & PROXI performed after the modules are updated before the vehicle is returned to you:

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey y'all. I apologize if posting on a thread ancient as this one is ill-advised, but I have had little luck finding a solution to this problem elsewhere, and it's still pinned on the page. I'm not a "car guy" or anything of the sort, but I've been having these problems (some similar to the ones described here), some not, and I've collected data all the while and am just hoping someone here will know what's going on.

This is going to be a pretty long and in-depth explanation of exactly what my car's been doing, so TL;DR at the end if necessary.

I have a 2015 Chrysler 200c 2.4L. While there are lots of things I'm grumpy about, it's worked quite well for years. Then, about 8 months, I got the dread "Service Transmission: Power Shifting Unavailable" message many have talked about, accompanied by the car locking itself in 4th Gear. Next time I drove it, it was fine. Over the past 8 months, though, more and more problems have arisen.

What's happening:

• When the car starts, there is a good chance that it will immediately say "Service Transmission". It shifts from P-R-N-D fine, but in drive, it is locked in 4th Gear. Enough power to get going up to about 35mph, but much faster and the RPM gets uncomfortably high. Not ideal, but drivable. For a while, this was the worst that would happen.
  • Sometimes, the "Service Transmission" will, completely at random, come on while driving. In that case, it locks itself in whatever gear it was in when it happens. Sometimes that leaves me in 8th gear on the interstate, and once, it locked me in first as I tried to pull away from a stoplight. Not great. However, if I restart the car after it does this, the above will happen—it will start, give the warning, and lock itself in 4th gear again. It seems 4th gear is its "comfortable gear" or something; it always gravitates towards it.
  • More recently, a problem that has screwed me over many times has started happening. The car starts, it says "Service Transmission", and it refuses to shift gears. Shifting to reverse settles on it on the dash, but the car is not in gear; will not move. Turning the dial to Neutral causes the dash to say it's in D with no gear number. Shifting to D causes it to blink "D" on the dash; again, still not in gear or drivable. And shifting to park causes it to blink "N" on the dash, and warn that the vehicle is not in park, and the parking break must be engaged.
When this happens, the car will not get into any gear or move at all for a seemingly random amount of time. Sometimes, after a few minutes, restarts, or whatever, it cooperates. Notably, it still is stuck in 4th, but at least it shifts to Drive. Additionally, I can know when it has decided to cooperate by keeping the dial on "park"—it beeps and blinks about how I'm not really in park, and then suddenly it will just settle and actually say I'm in park. From there, I can always shift to drive and drive off.
Except sometimes it takes literally hours. I was stuck in a parking lot for an hour and a half. Left it on for half an hour, tried every troubleshooting technique from disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes to trying to the emergence "shift out of park" lever to see if that would somehow do something. And eventually it just decided to get in gear. This is not sustainable.

Perhaps what is most baffling out of all of this, though, is that it will act up for weeks, and then suddenly be perfectly fine. Yesterday it took 10 minutes to get in gear, was locked in 4th for half an hour, and when I went to go home, no "Service Transmission". Shifted through all 9 smooth as butter like there had never been a problem. This leads me to believe very strongly that this is entirely a computer issue; I'm not a car person, but there is no mechanical issue I can fathom that would be this intermittent, random, and leave absolutely no noticeable damage or change to normal operation over the span of 8 months. When it's not freaking out, it drives like it's just off the lot (plus 1000 miles it took as new for it to adapt).

What we've tried:
- Shortly after these issues arose, we took it do a dealership. Shortly after we bought it, we got the recall and software update to fix it slamming into 5th, so that was taken care of. The dealership told us in no uncertain terms that we needed a new transmission because... reasons. I talked to technician and he said he thinks it's got something to do with the hydraulics, but basically told us he can't do anything to try and repair it, all he can do is sell us a new one. We tried to convince him to update the software, but he was adamant that wasn't the problem. I'd read a bit on here and other places, but he was not having any of it. Notably, while it was the dealership, they never got it to drive normally, so perhaps that's the problem. I don't recall the exact codes, but whatever it was, it had something to do with some kind of hydraulic leak. Again, maybe I'm wrong, but I cannot fathom any mechanical problem that could cause such severe malfunction but also just disappear so often. But maybe I'm wrong.

I have a lot more info to give but this is already crazy long; if there's anything more I can provide, let me know and I'll do my best to explain further. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've read PCM / TCM updates and a reflash of some kind can help, but the dealership was adamant that it won't. I recognize we may just have to take it a different dealership and see what we can find, but I am strongly convicted (correct me if I am obviously wrong) that this is a computer issue, not a mechanical one. Does anyone have any other ideas, or know of any tests or things we could do to pin this down further?

TL;DR Transmission gets stuck in 4th, sometimes won't go into gear at all, and then magically goes back to good as new at random. Dealership was adamant we need a new transmission; we're skeptical for a number of reasons. They refused to do any kind of software reflash, and I'm considering going elsewhere, but I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,653 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There were a few things going on in 2015 that were fixed by 2016. The early 9-spd transaxles had an extended (warranty that the 2016s didn't seem to need). I'm sure that has expired by now.
ZF finally let FCA out of the restrictive contract (we couldn't make any changes) and allowed us to buy the rights to the transaxle. Our engineers made sorely needed hardware and software improvements and it is a world-class transaxle now :

Font Material property Number Document Screenshot

Maybe you should have jumped at the new transaxle when it was offered? Was the car still under warranty then?

I don't know why the dealer is reluctant to do the software updates. They address your limp-in (4th gear) concern and make for a very pleasant drive. I would update all the modules that offer an update and the car is eligible for. PCM, TCM, ESM, HVAC, EPB, Radio, etc. Finish off the TCM update with a Quicklearn and PROXI.
The most recent update was 2018. Have you been to the dealer since?

PCM:

Font Material property Screenshot Number

TCM:

Font Screenshot Number Document

ESM:

Font Number Screenshot

HVAC:

Font Number Screenshot

EPB:

Font Number Screenshot

Quicklearn:

Font Number Screenshot Parallel Document

PROXI:

Some readers have reported rough shifting after work was done on their car. This may not be a bad transmission, but a missed step in the repair: skipping the “PROXI alignment,” which updates information in all the car’s systems.
Matthew Libanio, for example, had his TCM (transmission control module) updated; the dealership did a “quick learn,” but failed to do the PROXI alignment, apparently through confusion, resulting in poor shifting.
PROXI integrates the car’s many computers, from navigation to the transmission. One technician wrote, “PROXI alignment is required when a module is replaced, or, in this case, the transmission bangs into gear something fierce. It does make a big difference.” One telltale (though it may not always appear) is a blinking odometer.
An FCA spokesman wrote, “It's called out in the service instructions. Skipping the procedure is not an option. We encourage customers to contact the company directly if they have concerns, at 1-877-IAM-JEEP (426-5337); 1-888-CIAO-FIAT (242-6342); or 1-800-CHRYSLER (247-9753).”
Dealership have a great deal of data on how to repair cars, but sometimes a rule is skipped by mistake or, in the case of independent garages and DIY repair, because people are unaware it’s needed or don’t have the right tool. However, this is a key step which can be mistaken for a bad transmission, especially as these cars age.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm sorry to say but it's likely you need a new transmission. When they mentioned hydraulics they may have been referring to the transmission valve body. When my transmission in my 2015 was acting up very similar to yours (transmission went into limp mode a few times and letting it sit reset it, rough and delayed shifts, then it would sometimes refuse to shift out of park with the error messages and disconnecting the battery would sometimes fix it but I eventually ended up having to tow mine in since it wouldn't leave park no matter what) and after software didn't fix it the next thing they tried was to replace the valve body. This didn't fix it and I got a whole new transmission, under warranty thankfully.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can I ask if it resets and then drives fine wouldn't that be electrical? How does it reset and work then all of sudden have power train issues?

Mine is doing the same at 33k miles. Crazy. Vehicle is only used 3 times a week 10 miles each way round trip and it started with this. Error then went away. Came back next day.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,227 Posts
Can I ask if it resets and then drives fine wouldn't that be electrical? How does it reset and work then all of sudden have power train issues?

Mine is doing the same at 33k miles. Crazy. Vehicle is only used 3 times a week 10 miles each way round trip and it started with this. Error then went away. Came back next day.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
The first thing I always ask .... how old is the battery ?
A weak or failing battery will exhibit some electrical gremlins in these cars.
Don't just test it, if it's more then 3 years old, then replace it with a high quality battery.
Don't know how old it is ?
Replace it, and the key fob battery at the same time.

401 - 413 of 413 Posts