Chrysler 200 Forum banner

2015 200C 3.6 AWD Coolant Reservoir Overflow

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  200_S_AWD 
#1 ·
Hello please help.
I recently went to dealership for a coolant flush. The first time I took my own coolant 50/50. The tech that completed the flush didn’t look at container and mixed the premixed coolant. My car was running hot so I took it back to the dealership. The dealership figured it would be best to redo flush. Now after the 2nd coolant I notice that the coolant in the reservoir is was over the max line. My questions are

1. What are some of the damage and danger of me running vehicle with the coolant that was 50/50 and mixed again?
2. Could damages occur by having reservoir over filled? Because I contacted the dealer today and the advisor/tech said there is no need to flush out some of the coolant.
Fluid Purple Automotive design Material property Gas
Liquid Fluid Motor vehicle Gas Paint

See less See more
#2 ·
If it was too diluted with water the first time, it will raise the freezing point and lower the boiling point. I suspect that boiling coolant caused the overheat. I'm glad that you caught this mistake early.
Overfilling the reservoir is less critical, but is careless. The coolant overflow will push out excess coolant and leave a puddle behind.
Checking the specific gravity of the coolant with a refractometer will give an idea of the concentration. You want about a 50/50 mix and that should give you freeze protection to -35℉ (-37℃).
The old floating ball-type hydrometer is inaccurate for OAT-based coolants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.