Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I am a new member and have been following threads on this forum for a while, so now I'm gonna post my experiences w my car, especially the tunes which I'm in the early stages of. So I currently have 50000 well maintained miles, no issues, and very happy, recently installed a magnaflow cat back system and also have a k&n cai and rpm torque tube. 93 octane and amsoil 5w20 since new. I will post some pics soon....feel free w any questions! Thanks!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Waiting on a v-tuner kit which I believe is the hp tuners suite and a laptop so it can be tuned and tweaked remotely from RPM Motorsports in AZ. Have too read the stock file and send my spare pcm to hp tuners too be unlocked first, then we go from there! Keep ya posted

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg The sleeper 200c!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still waiting on the tuner, might wait until the spring if it doesn't show in the next week, getting too cold for average readings.
So with the mods I have so far, the car sounds awesome. Exhaust is deep and mellow and still breaking in, getting louder. It's not obnoxious or glass pack sounding. The intake is louder than the exhaust when I'm on it. Throttle response is softer, very little back pressure now. Mileage is down a couple mpg around town but hgwy is up. Better midrange. Top end needs help, 4th gear seems forever plus it feels like the limiter starts kicking in accelerating hard just pass 100. Hope I get the tune completed in the upcoming weeks.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
562 Posts
View attachment 53736 View attachment 53738 View attachment 53740 The sleeper 200c![/QUOTE

Oh yea....I got rid of those granny Goodyear 215/55's and put on some hankook 225/50's. Much better!!! And a little shorter than stock for a little lower gear effect heehee
Speedo off a few big whoop but odometer goin up faster too. Ooof
235/50-17 are the same height as the stock 215/55-17, that's what I switched too, looks much better and traction is improved too.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
235/50-17 are the same height as the stock 215/55-17, that's what I switched too, looks much better and traction is improved too.
good choice! Those goodyears would howl w protest with just the slightest bit of aggression. The 215s were a bit better in the snow but now definitely improved handling and stability

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The v-tuner showed! Yaaayy. Got the stock file read and emailed too hp tuners and my spare pcm is on its way too them. Scored one at local boneyard $50. Hoping too have the tune completed bye the end of month.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got my pcm back this week and it's a-ok! Waitin on a call back from RPM to schedule the tune. If I can't get it done in the next week or so I think it will be to cold and possibly snow and will have too wait till spring. Hope not....stay tuned!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the tune going this past weekend! Martin disabled the speed limiter and torque vectoring and gave it a couple degrees of advance and had me do some normal driving miles. Much better! Throttle response and midrange power is better. Tonite He recorded a 10min drive...some normal city and freeway and a couple wot pulls. Did 3rd and 4th too lmiiter then 4th and 5th too about 120mph. Didn't notice the rpms but just got into fifth a little when I looked at the speedo. The car now pulls faster thru 4-5. I'm amazed how much better it runs w just the goveners disabled. Martin made a few more timing and throttle adjustments. Fuel trims looked good and now I'll drive a few more days then look at the data and do some tweaking.
The car felt good at 120 w only a couple little floats. I was just into 5th were the car usually is going too sleep and it had a bunch more. Not that i do or plan too drive this fast, (not too often) but I think the c suspension can handle 125 but I wouldn't go faster unless putting some s strut/spring to stiffen things up.
So I'm happy so far...Martin is cool and he's doing a great job. I'm gonna post a speedo vid when all done so y'all can see the improvements from stock.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yo....so anorher update! Car is running great, no complaints or issues (yet) . I'll post the details next week when it's complete. One thing that's come too my attention is the brakes. They're ok for most situations but haulin down from 100+ shows their weakness! Had some pulsating braking hard ( not abs) which could be the 52000 miles I have plus my spirited driving habits, I've prob warped the rotors, not noticeable except under extreme braking. I'm due soon anyway, So a brake upgrade is comings in the spring, prob a power stop kit and maybe some custom made braided hoses. I'll start a thread on that and if any difference in stopping power.

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
prob a power stop kit and maybe some custom made braided hoses. I'll start a thread on that and if any difference in stopping power.
I got the power stop kit, but not braided hoses as I don't think brake fade/pressure, the problem is heat - and slotted and cross-drilled brake rotors and ceramic pads make all the difference when stopping quickly from highway speeds.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Now just get it to run on 87 octane and you will be set. (the higher the octane, the less power the fuel makes)
Seriously!?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the power stop kit, but not braided hoses as I don't think brake fade/pressure, the problem is heat - and slotted and cross-drilled brake rotors and ceramic pads make all the difference when stopping quickly from highway speeds.
Oh cool! Seems your happy w them, I'm def gonna get those rotors. Pads , I'm doing a little research. Some mixed reviews I read on the power stop z23 but we see. And Gonna skip the braided lines...not needed. Stock is fine for the occasional fast stop, I've been over thinking this whole little project! Thanks!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So the tuning is complete. I'm happy w the results, I got what I was expecting. What do we get? I got 5 more deg of ignition advance and speed limiter and torque vectoring (another limiter) disabled. No fuel adjustments were needed, even w the cold dense air ova here. The flex fuel system has a wide range it can adjust too. I did my intake and exhaust mods months before the tune which is prob best so the computer can re learn the mix. The knock sensors will adjust ignition based on the fuel you are using but within its factory limits. I also lowered the cooling fans turn on range 10 deg. I don't think I'll have a prob w the timing, RPM Martin is in AZ and one he did out there has 4 deg advance on 91 octane. We have 93 octane here so I should be good w the month or so of really hot weather RI gets.
So that's what you get! A more responsive, better running car, more midrange passing power and,if your car can handle it, prob a top end around 140+ . If I was too guess on hp, I'd say another 20ish whp and 30ish ft lbs torque. With bad weather around the corner and holiday traffic, I won't be racing around much but I will continue too post performance updates here and there.
Hope this thread helps y'all as some here have helped me

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another update....it's been a few weeks and no probs.Car is running even better and loving the 30-40deg temps. Beat a 2017 maxima from a 40mph roll to about 110 pulled away steady about a car and a half then faster after 100! I'll get a speedo vid up soon one early morn.

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
Another update....it's been a few weeks and no probs.Car is running even better and loving the 30-40deg temps. Beat a 2017 maxima from a 40mph roll to about 110 pulled away steady about a car and a half then faster after 100! I'll get a speedo vid up soon one early morn.
A 17 Maxima - who would buy one when they could get an Infinity Q for less or the same? At least it's a big improvement over the previous generation Maxima for speed and it does look nice.

I had a 2011 Maxima. I liked it but terrible in snow - as in a Mustang with summer tires might have been better. At 49K miles it needed a new engine (bottom half - short block replaced because of crank bearings) replaced under factory warranty and Nissan provides loaners (as opposed to a dealer making the call), or at least they did back then.

The CVT was't as bad as you'd think and it handled like it was on rails.

Without a tune the previous gen. Maxima at 87+MPH it only allows 40% throttle IIRC or might be 60% throttle for a 40% throttle cut, so at sea level this results in a top speed of about 128 "drag limited".

I don't know much about the new Maxima besides it has more power and looks nicer than the old Maxima- and is slower than a 200 :cool:.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
About this Discussion
81 Replies
11 Participants
Sleeper200c
Chrysler 200 Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Chrysler 200 owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about reviews, maintenance, upgrades, and more!
Full Forum Listing