Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 200c AWD with the 3.6L with 98k miles. I took it in for an oil change and the dealer told me that I have a serious oil leak. They said it was the oil cooler module and quoted $3400 to replace. Obviously, I know that price is way too high. Approximately what should it run?

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,695 Posts
Welcome to the forums. It sounds like an OFA (oil filter adapter) leak. It may be simply an o-ring seal leak and/or a leak from the adapter itself.
If you remove the adapter to replace the o-rings, you may as well replace the adapter at that point. It's a gamble using the old one over.
There was a rash of OFA failures some time ago. I heard that it was a vendor quality issue. That was resolved, but the tribal 'habit' in the shop was to replace the OFA.
Call around for price quotes. Most shops should be familiar with this culprit. Part and labor prices will vary between dealers.

Automotive tire Font Machine Screenshot Motor vehicle

Font Circle Screenshot Rectangle Clock

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2015 200c AWD with the 3.6L with 98k miles. I took it in for an oil change and the dealer told me that I have a serious oil leak. They said it was the oil cooler module and quoted $3400 to replace. Obviously, I know that price is way too high. Approximately what should it run?
Just paid 1200 dollars for that fix. Did a few other things though. Spark plugs and another oil change. I would guess that 1000 dollars would be a good starting point but the dealer try’s to up sell a lot of stuff “as long as we’re in there” attitude, which might be true but not if you’re retired like me. It’s not the labor that’s expensive. In my case some of the parts were tripled in price. Won’t be going back for new service. I got a 24000 mile warranty but that’s only good if they’re still in business. Should have known something was up by their parking lot. Not a lot of cars waiting for service.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently had this replaced at 51,000 miles. While in for an oil change the service advisor and mechanic came up to me saying there was a problem. They admitted that it was likely tightened too tight on the previous oil change.

So they the dealer paid for this part, and labor. They said they had plenty in stock but it would be an overnight job. So they got me a rental as well.

I researched this and it turns out that this is kind of a design defect. Meaning over time with multiple changes and heat makes the plastic brittle. I don't think there has ever been a recall. And it is on all 3.6... Which is why they had plenty on stock for this very reason.

I may have been lucky with them admitting they broke it. Unfortunately it will likely happen again in the future. And it's not a very cheap part/fix.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,695 Posts
U.S. recalls generally are ordered by NHTSA or EPA for safety or emission defects.
The FTC may recommend a warranty extension (a customer satisfaction campaign, not actually a recall) on the part and labor coverage.

I have spoken to technicians about this and the consensus was that it is not from over-tightening the filter cap, but was a vendor quality issue.

Engine heat degradation is a possibility, but being located by the 'cool' intake manifold and itself being a water-cooled part makes me wonder.

Save your receipts, write a letter, reimbursement may be coming.

Reactions: KHild64

·
Registered
469 Posts
$3400!?? I paid $90 on Amazon, watched a 30 minute youtube instructional video and had mine changed in about 3 hours in my driveway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts