Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a black 200C that is rusting along the front lip of the hood. It appears to be bubbling up from underneath the paint, WTH? The whole 1" lip across the front is rusting. This is unacceptable for being this new. Does anyone else have this issue? It has not been 200C Hood Rust.jpg wrecked, or hood replaced. We're in Michigan, but come on....

·
Registered
169 Posts
It has been an issue for many of us. If you use the search button on here, you'll find all the info you'll need to get Chrysler to repair it for free. Chrysler's Corrosion warranty for outer components is 5 yrs/ 100,000 miles. You need to bring it to a dealer, they'll take pictures and send them in for approval. If covered, an appointment is made, and they pay for the rental. Mine took 4 days and cost me nothing. They used to replace the hoods, but now they repair the original hood.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Point of order .... your hood is aluminum so it is not rusting. It may be corroding. Just sayin'

·
Registered
315 Posts
I did an inspection of my hood this morn and....WTF! Sum bubbles starting. I'm taking too dealer in a few days, I'll keep y'all posted what happens.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I actually bought a used corroded hood to repair my 2016 200s as a new one was WAY out of my budget... as most of the new replacement parts were also... Bought used parts for the most part...
FCA used aluminum to reduce weight mandated by the government to improve gas mileage and increase MPG...
I have had the "pleasure" of replacing a lot of front end parts and most were either plastic or aluminum... The front end will not survive a moderate crash without totalling the car.... There is really no frame from the engine forward...just 4 thin pieces of steel (frame rails and fender aprons) and two lower aluminum rails that crush at low speeds and then damage the engine cradle (also aluminum), motor mounts. and then the engine drops and damages the half shafts (CV axles)... I will put away my 200s this Winter and drive my 2006 Jeep Liberty as I can't afford to rebuild this car again and my older Jeep Liberty has a frame... It's sad but even the "quality" cars like BMW and Mercedes now won't withstand a wreck and not be totalled... The "new" Jeep Cherokee has the same "frame" as the 200 models and I would not take it out and abuse it off roading...
None of today's cars will be around in 20 years as "classics" as the plastics will degrade and the thin steels will rust through... SAD...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
FCA used aluminum to reduce weight mandated by the government to improve gas mileage and increase MPG...
Yes they did, and look at the great fuel mileage these cars get.

You also failed to mention the crash testing proved the engineers got it right.
IIHS gave the 2015 Chrysler 200 all "Good" ratings for front crashworthiness.
I would rather the car fold up around me in a crash, instead of me folding up inside the crash.

As a side note. The wife had some metal piece fly off the road and damage the hood last year. It gouged two nice slices into the aluminum metal of the hood. Other then that, I haven't seen any signs of bubbling or corrosion on the hood anywhere.
This is in the land of winter salt covered roads.

·
Registered
81 Posts
ftru103...
you said "You also failed to mention the crash testing proved the engineers got it right.
I would rather the car fold up around me in a crash, instead of me folding up inside the crash."

And everyone of those tested cars were deemed "scrap"... I would rather loose some mileage and still be safe and have a car that could be rebuilt for a reasonable price... Every car that gets scrapped just drives YOUR insurance up and MOST new cars will not be rebuilt... You should see the "safe" Chrysler 200s that were badly damaged including the passenger compartment... While searching for used parts I DID... once the crushed material is gone there is very little steel left between you and what you hit... The most of the damage done was at low speeds and at higher speeds there will be nothing left ... We all have opinions and I would rather have some replaceable steel frame work that folds during an accident than aluminum and plastic... Take a look at the "new" all aluminum Ford Trucks...they get totalled for "minor" body damage because the aluminum panels are welded and can't be replaced reasonably... You pay less for gas and will pay much more for insurance...

Like I said ...my opinion...
Dave

·
Registered
760 Posts
I do believe that the current 200 is one of the safest cars around today. I was in an accident with mine last year with around $10000 damage. New Hood, left fender, inner fender, headlight assy, bumper, grills, mouldings and various sundries and paint.

Look at this one ... two adults and a five year old ... minor injuries ...
200.jpg The newspaper article.

·
Registered
180 Posts
ftru103...
you said "You also failed to mention the crash testing proved the engineers got it right.
I would rather the car fold up around me in a crash, instead of me folding up inside the crash."

And everyone of those tested cars were deemed "scrap"... I would rather loose some mileage and still be safe and have a car that could be rebuilt for a reasonable price... Every car that gets scrapped just drives YOUR insurance up and MOST new cars will not be rebuilt... You should see the "safe" Chrysler 200s that were badly damaged including the passenger compartment... While searching for used parts I DID... once the crushed material is gone there is very little steel left between you and what you hit... The most of the damage done was at low speeds and at higher speeds there will be nothing left ... We all have opinions and I would rather have some replaceable steel frame work that folds during an accident than aluminum and plastic... Take a look at the "new" all aluminum Ford Trucks...they get totalled for "minor" body damage because the aluminum panels are welded and can't be replaced reasonably... You pay less for gas and will pay much more for insurance...

Like I said ...my opinion...
Dave
For each person injured in a serious car accident, over $100K of insurance money can be consumed, so the argument that a car is totaled and drives up your insurance rates is specious. People cost WAY more than cars to fix, and often can't be totally fixed. Cars can be replaced. Insurance costs are in good shape these days because bodily injury is down and damage to cars is up.
Most people would rather live and be able-bodied, than save the car they were riding in.
My opinion....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just FYI. My '15 with a little over 80k mi goes in Monday for hood repair. I noticed it a few months ago and when I finally got time, I got it in for inspection, etc. Took 3 or 4 weeks to hear back with an appointment, but Chrysler is paying to repair the hood. Not sure of the validity, but one dealer said only a Chrysler dealer with their own body shop could inspect and perform the work. So many don't anymore, this could be a problem for some if true. Was also told by the dealer doing the work that no warranty on the work completed, so it's a one time repair. He also said he has had none return and that BTW other brands also use aluminum hoods and also have similar problems depending on the model. And they sell Ford and GM as well as Chrysler so they should have worked on all of these. Hopefully a good experience will follow...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just FYI. My '15 with a little over 80k mi goes in Monday for hood repair. I noticed it a few months ago and when I finally got time, I got it in for inspection, etc. Took 3 or 4 weeks to hear back with an appointment, but Chrysler is paying to repair the hood. Not sure of the validity, but one dealer said only a Chrysler dealer with their own body shop could inspect and perform the work. So many don't anymore, this could be a problem for some if true. Was also told by the dealer doing the work that no warranty on the work completed, so it's a one time repair. He also said he has had none return and that BTW other brands also use aluminum hoods and also have similar problems depending on the model. And they sell Ford and GM as well as Chrysler so they should have worked on all of these. Hopefully a good experience will follow...
The dealer should cover a rental for the time it takes for the job. Just sayin.....

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
The dealer should cover a rental for the time it takes for the job. Just sayin.....
Providing a rental is only a good will gesture. Nothing in the warranty specifies a replacement vehicle while a warranty repair is made.
However, asking the dealer if they could provide assistance, before arriving to leave your car, should certainly be done.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Providing a rental is only a good will gesture. Nothing in the warranty specifies a replacement vehicle while a warranty repair is made.
However, asking the dealer if they could provide assistance, before arriving to leave your car, should certainly be done.
unless you have an extended warranty, it stipulates that you can have a rental (max 50$ per day (canada only ?)) if the repair is more than 24h.

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
unless you have an extended warranty, it stipulates that you can have a rental (max 50$ per day (canada only ?)) if the repair is more than 24h.
First, read the service contract you have. It may be different.
My Mopar / FCA service contract states ... If repairs take overnight and a component covered by the plan fails.

Rust though, paint problems and cosmetics are not covered repairs on most service contracts.

·
Registered
169 Posts
First, read the service contract you have. It may be different.
My Mopar / FCA service contract states ... If repairs take overnight and a component covered by the plan fails.

Rust though, paint problems and cosmetics are not covered repairs on most service contracts.
This repair is made under the corrosion warranty, not under a service contract. Not positive about the rental, it was when I had mine done.

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
This repair is made under the corrosion warranty, not under a service contract. Not positive about the rental, it was when I had mine done.
Basically I was answering Matrix21 about a rental with a service contract.
However, even the factory warranty does not stipulate a replacement vehicle while repairs are made.
It's always a "good will" gesture on FCA's part.
But it never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks Mike. After reading this post the other day, I went out and checked the front of the hood and sure enough, the corrosion has bubbled up the paint. Its a fairly big spot. It hasnt broke through yet but I am curious if Chrysler only deals with the particular spot in question or do they redo the entire hood. I have a 2015 200 V6 AWD

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had this too! Sadly coincidentally I cracked up my car and got a new hood but still! It was rusting when I bought it in 2016. Mine is a 2015 200s I live in Wisconsin but the car came from Florida...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts