Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2015 200s a month ago and a few weeks ago the car would not start. The dash says key fob not detected. The lights and music turn on but will not start when I push the start/stop button. I traded the fob with the second one and it worked for a few days, then it does it again. I have to use the remote start to get it going. It usually only does it when my car has been sitting parked overnight. Any ideas??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Replace the batteries. They could have been bad from the factory. If the battery in your fob is low you are supposed to be able to press the fob against the dash near the start button to get it close enough to have the push button start work. If that does the trick, I'll bet the fob batteries were low. Maybe the commands to unlock doors and remote start take less juice than the hands free proximity signal?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Sounds like it could be an antenna/receiver issue with the car that keeps it from reliably detecting the key fob.

I guess another possibility, since it happens after the car has been parked overnight, is that the battery voltage is low which may be affecting the function of the fob receiver. While I think this is a long shot, it couldn't hurt to check the voltage when it doesn't work or try charging the battery if you have a meter and/or charger. I have noticed there is a lot of battery drain on mine if it isn't driven much. Shouldn't be a problem though if you are driving an hour or more every day.

Otherwise the obvious course of action is to take it to the dealer, especially if the problem recurs consistently, as that should make it easier to diagnose.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've had that 'key fob not detected' message a lot of times, it usually just goes away in 20 seconds or so. There could be some interference in the area, or like the popular choice, a low key fob battery.
With my previous car, when the key battery got low you wouldn't be able to open the doors when you approached the car, that was the warning sign. The battery will still be drained from the key just sitting around still transmitting ie. spare key.
I carry a spare battery in my wallet just in case.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sometimes when I get that I have to lock and then unlock the car with the fob for it to start again. Usually some kind of interference when I park with the car running and the fob in it around town.

·
Registered
122 Posts
All this is an easy one and you can test it. It is a "problem" with all makes and models. Ready.....don't have the key in the same pocket of your cell phone. Try it for your self you will see. My Hyundais did the same. I've had many cars since the keyless push button has been out. Use to get that in detected all the time until I figured it out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry posted before I finished. I have had nothing but Samsung phones so could be just them. ..well actually my blackberry seem to interfere as well. I have my phone in my pocket and work phone on my hip. So as long as key in opposite pocket no problems. Funny enough when I test drove my 200 I showed my sales kid and made it show key undetected. Freaked him out, then told him I was making it happen by putting the key next to my cell phone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2016 Chrysler 200 4cil works great but after a few days for no reason it wont start ill wait a day or so then it starts again ?????

·
Super Moderator
1,909 Posts
My 2016 Chrysler 200 4cil works great but after a few days for no reason it wont start ill wait a day or so then it starts again ?????
Welcome to the forum jlown !

The thread you responded in is over 3 years old.
So, I'll ask the questions all of us ask with your problem.
First, have you replaced the vehicles battery ?
Have you replaced the fob battery ?
Have you load tested the current battery in the vehicle ?

Let us know !

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 Chrysler 200 sport my husband bought a new battery for the key fob and now it’s not working he left the battery out to long how do I reprogram the key fob?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum jlown !

The thread you responded in is over 3 years old.
So, I'll ask the questions all of us ask with your problem.
First, have you replaced the vehicles battery ?
Have you replaced the fob battery ?
Have you load tested the current battery in the vehicle ?

Let us know !
The vehicles battery is brand new about 1 month
My husband bought a new battery for the key fob and now the key fob needs to be reprogrammed and I can’t find anything to tell me to reprogram the fob

·
Registered
833 Posts
Almost six years here and I've never seen any info about reprogramming a fob to the vehicle. (The owners manual explains how to program the seat and mirror memory to a fob, but not how to mate a fob with the vehicle. ) You might have a bad "new" battery in the fob, a bad fob, corroded battery contacts in the fob (which could be cleaned) or some other problem. Unless another member here has better advice to add, I'd say your best bet is first to try another fob battery, clean the contacts with contact cleaner or a penciil eraser, and if that doesn't work to take the vehicle and the fob to a dealer.

·
Registered
833 Posts
PS Make sure the battery is in the fob correctly, and not backwards.

·
Super Moderator
1,909 Posts
The vehicles battery is brand new about 1 month
My husband bought a new battery for the key fob and now the key fob needs to be reprogrammed and I can’t find anything to tell me to reprogram the fob
Generally the fob can only be programmed by the dealer.
I suggest buying a package of fresh name brand batteries and start over. The chip, in the fob, shouldn't lose programming, but anything is possible.
I find cheaper bulk batteries just aren't worth the effort.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
278 Posts
Once programmed, the RKE should hold the program regardless of battery memory. Once programmed to your car, it cannot be programmed to a different car.
There may have been a loss of 'syncronization' between the transmitter and receiver. These fobs work with a 'rolling code' like a garage door opener, so that crooks would have a hard time breaking in to your house or stealing your car. The code changes slightly with every button push to deter an eavesdropper from mimicking the code.
A dealer or a very capable locksmith service has access to the secret 4-digit code to program these.
If you don't have a spare fob, I highly recommend getting one so that you aren't stranded.
To re-synchronize, there are a few methods discussed on the internet.
Press and hold both lock and unlock until you hear the door locks cycle.
Press the unlock button up to 8 times to resync.

From Chrysler service:
ROLLING CODE
The rolling code feature changes part of the transmitter message each time that it is used. The transmitter message and the receiver message increment together. Under certain conditions with a rolling code system, such as pressing a button on the RKE transmitter over 255 times outside of receiver range or replacing the battery, the receiver and transmitter can fall out of synchronization. To re-synchronize, press and release the UNLOCK button on the RKE transmitter repeatedly (it may take up to eight cycles) while listening carefully for the power door locks in the vehicle to cycle, indicating that resynchronization has occurred.

The lock function works from the RKE transmitter even in an out of synchronization condition, therefore it could be verified by pressing the LOCK button on the RKE key fob.
Best of luck with this. 😀

1 - 19 of 19 Posts