Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,824 Posts
I think the 15, 16 & 17 model years were all the same, except for software updates and other minor fixes.

Ours is over 5 years old, over 100K and no problems. We did have all updates and recalls performed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the 15, 16 & 17 model years were all the same, except for software updates and other minor fixes.

Ours is over 5 years old, over 100K and no problems. We did have all updates and recalls performed.
Dude they gave 2016 model a 4/5 in reliability while they give the 2015 model 1/5 , which is the worst mark.

I never saw any car model to go like that within a year. Chrysler must have done an amazing job to fix almost all of the problems by the next model.

a lot of Japanese sedan have the same reliability mark as 2016 Chrysler 200 model, which is awesome.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Dude they gave 2016 model a 4/5 in reliability while they give the 2015 model 1/5 , which is the worst mark.

I never saw any car model to go like that within a year. Chrysler must have done an amazing job to fix almost all of the problems by the next model.

a lot of Japanese sedan have the same reliability mark as 2016 Chrysler 200 model, which is awesome.
I agree w fitru103..... Most of the issues were software related. Some early run 200's had issues w noisy struts which were covered under warranty and any motor issues were mostly the 2.4 as theyre sensitive too oil and coolant levels. I'm happy too say I've had 0 mechanical issues, just all software updates. 65k and I'm still lovin it! I plan on driving this car into the ground which hopefully will be 150k+.
For a car that was only mfg for 2 years w no mechanical updates, I think the car is great and could've been better if they didn't scrap it too make More Jeeps. The 2015 had more options and newer tech than any other car in its category that year. It took a couple years for others too catch up. Not that it matters now. Look at the 2019 Buick GS....its a lot like my 2015, and if FCA marketed it right and stayed w it....well, so much for that.

·
Super Moderator
1,824 Posts
That is why I posted that they are all the same basic car.
Besides, Consumer Reports always seen to fawn over japanese cars while trashing domestic's.
Instead, we should look at those that performed "long term" tests.
Several automotive sources tested the 2015 Chrysler 200 for over a year. Motorweek put over 21,000 miles on their long term tester and loved it.
KBB did a long term, as well as Autotrader and Autoweek. All loved the car, minus a few quirks with the 9 speed that was either fixed or they learned to get used to this transmission.

In my opinion, Consumer Reports is not a good source to judge any vehicle I wish to purchase.

·
Super Moderator
2,441 Posts
As fltru103 stated, the 2015 and 2016 are the same car. The 2016 just had newer software from the factory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Other than routine maintenance I have had no issues it at all from my '16. I bought it new and it currently has 80k miles and is going strong. Wait...did I just jinx myself?? Anyway, I wouldn't put much stock into a Consumer Reports report. There are many other sources with much higher reliability and it's been said here already but is worth repeating, the '15 and '16 model years are great cars that I wouldn't hesitate to put any of my kids in and send them across country. It really is a shame FCA decided to invest their interests elsewhere, they could have made and sold these cars for years to come I believe.

·
Super Moderator
2,441 Posts
they could have made and sold these cars for years to come I believe.
...they could have... but short sighted decisions were made, FCA prefers to now follow rather than lead, and like lemmings they follow the other American branded auto makers and phase out sedans and let Japan and Europe take their market share

·
Registered
769 Posts
I bought my 2015 Limited 3.6 new. I've never had a problem with the car other than replacing the battery (common with this car) under warranty and the radio under warranty. I have always had it serviced when due and I have never had a recall. It still drives like new and after four years on the road I'm still quite happy with it's looks and performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 2015 was the first year “Implementing”....(trying out) the 9 speed. I bought mine 6 months ago. Pulled out from the dealer straight onto the freeway and loved it and bought it (I was time crunched and needed a vehicle ASAP.)

Now that I bought it I’ve found driving in normal city conditions sucks. It shifts hard on occasion and really annoys me. I’d steer far away from the 2015 model....after they finally figured out the transmission issues I assume for future models.
Also, I heard the engine from this vehicle was sold by the Germans and designed driving on the Auterban (however you spell it?) Again great highway driving but sucks with city driving.

·
Super Moderator
2,441 Posts
I’d steer far away from the 2015 model....after they finally figured out the transmission issues I assume for future models

It's the same car - as stated numerous times in this thread - the only change were software updates. Take your car to the dealer and tell them your complaints and it will be updated under warranty, something you can't do if you have over 60K miles on a 16 or 17.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Came back from a wedding in NJ across from NYC. I have a 2015 200C with the 6 cyl engine. I got 39 mpg going up and 37 mpg going back to Maryland. Car has 28,000 and nothing has been done to it except for MFG call-backs. Even the battery is original ! Tranny works fine and saves gas if you cruise above 71 mph-it gets even better once you hit 80.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Came back from a wedding in NJ across from NYC. I have a 2015 200C with the 6 cyl engine. I got 39 mpg going up and 37 mpg going back to Maryland. Car has 28,000 and nothing has been done to it except for MFG call-backs. Even the battery is original ! Tranny works fine and saves gas if you cruise above 71 mph-it gets even better once you hit 80.
You may want to be prepared for the battery to go out soon. These cars do some interesting things when the battery starts going. It can freak some people out.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Also, I heard the engine from this vehicle was sold by the Germans and designed driving on the Auterban (however you spell it?) Again great highway driving but sucks with city driving.
Actually the 3.6 is fully American engine produced here as well. The 2.4 engine was a collaboration of Mercedes/Chrysler designing the head and the Chrysler/Hyundai design of the engine block.

The Transmission is a German owned ZF for the 3.6 built in ZF's factory in South Carolina.
The Transmission with the 2.4 is a ZF and Chrysler design built by Chrysler, think it's now Indiana?

ZF has helped Chrysler, Honda and Range Rover with programming these transmissions properly and it has helped greatly with the latest updates.

Past 5 years I have stated on this site if I had to choose a car based off of what Consumer Reports suggested, I would have missed out on some nice cars.

Now it's not too say this car is smooth shifting in the city all the time, but and I know some don't like or agree with it, these cars require a different style of driving, one that requires further gassing it to speed up and not so much granny up to speed like some of us have been taught in the past.

My 2015 Chrysler 200C FWD V6 now has 121,000 miles on it. I have had some issues with recalls and few other things the first few years, half of which were dealer caused. But the car is doing good for the time being.

I fully expect this car to go past the 200,000 mile mark in 4 years from now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts