Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking into buying a used 2015 Chrysler 200 base model as a car to get from point a to point b. I found a few that are under 60k miles for roughly 11k in my area, i Have rented a 2016 Chrysler 200 and liked how it drove and the great gas mileage. Just wondering if it's worth to get one?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the 200 has a lot to offer as far as value and tech for the price. If you're looking for true reliability and longevity I would likely look elsewhere. This is coming from a long time Mopar fan. My 2015 has 86k miles here are the issues I've had with it:
1. Wheel bearings - both front, replaced at 30k and 60k (Chrysler covered them both)
2. Thermostat - replaced at 30k (Warranty)
3. Transmission - Hard shifting from 4-5. I have had this car to the shop 12 times for this issue. Even after replacing the transmission, the issue has not resolved.
4. Suspension - Just recently noticed a shake in the steering wheel at speeds 70+, it looks like the right front strut mount needs replacing. In addition, the rear struts were replaced at 70k. This caused cupping of my tires and the car has now developed a rattling noise over bumps in the rear suspension. Likely a lower control arm. Dealership wanted $1800 to fix aforementioned issues.
5.Engine - Since about 50k miles, the engine has burnt about 1 quart of oil every 3k miles.

Hardly any car is going to be without some sort of issue, especially a first model year like the 2015. Will something else be more reliable? Quite possibly. Although, I've read of engine problems with Optimas, Malibus, and Sonatas. Transmission issues with the Fusions and newer Camrys.

That said - I like my 200. I've been doing quite a bit of highway driving lately and I've been getting 35mpg. It's a great looking car and is fun to drive on winding roads. If you want a 200, go with a 2016 or even better - 2017. I hear they had worked some of the bugs out by then. My recommendation - 2017 200 Touring or Limited Platinum with 17 inch rims.

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
636 Posts
The 2015 transaxle has an extended warranty due to customer satisfaction issues. The improved hardware and software changes in 2016 made it a much better transaxle.
ZF only allowed limited changes that the transaxle needed under the contract up until then. FCA bought the rights to implement sorely needed changes and builds the transaxle here in Kokomo, IN.
I drove a 2015 2.4L rental for 3 days and considered a 200 as my next car to replace the 2007 Caliber.
I sprung for a 2016 lease turn in that still had some 3/36 warranty left last year. I have put 6K miles (10K km) on it since and just love this car.
It is important to get all the module software upgrades done. I had an occasional hard 4-5 shift after the new TCM software until a Quicklearn and PROXI alignment was performed. It has shifted as smooth as butter since without one hiccup.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I bought my 2015 3.6 new back in Apr 2015. Currently almost 60k kms on it. The car has been great since day one. Battery was replaced under warranty about a year and a half in. A temp sensor in the AC system had to be replaced again under warranty. That's it. The car still looks and drives great.

·
Super Moderator
1,998 Posts
As with any vehicle, problems can arise.
Our 2015 200S, with the 2.4 engine now has 117,000 basically trouble free miles. Bought new and a very early model. Manufactured in May of 2014.
Warranty repairs included a replacement radio module ( the GPS wasn't working ) and one front wheel bearing.
All other work has been maintenance items, brakes, battery, etc.
The transmission is the main reason for complaints, IMO. It is quirky so say the least, but the engine transmission combo provide fantastic fuel mileage.

As for the price, that seems a little high for a base model.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've had my 2015 200C since September 2014, so it was one of the early production cars, and I did have to have the transmission replaced under warranty last year. It was a bit of an ordeal mostly due to poor customer service and communication from the dealer and supply issues getting a transmission from FCA. That said, I enjoyed driving the car up until the transmission failed and I'm still liking it now with the new one. Aside from that it's been all wear items. I've replaced the front wheel hubs/bearings (the bearings are sealed and integrated into the hubs), struts, and the battery. I also had one of my 19" wheels crack and had to replace it but that's probably due to a pothole.

All in all, aside from the transmission issue I had it's been mostly trouble free and is a nice car for the money. It's also nice that in general parts for this car are cheaper than some others. I'll likely keep mine a few more years or until something major fails, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
18 Posts
5.Engine - Since about 50k miles, the engine has burnt about 1 quart of oil every 3k miles.
What do you think the oil burning is coming from? I just had one of my tires fixed at the local non dealer mechanic and he asked me how often I change my oil and pointed at the missing quart or so. I just hit 50k mi on mine.

·
636 Posts
One qt every 3000 miles isn't considered 'excessive'.
Some 2.4L (Tigershark?) now have a campaign coming out to address excessive oil consumption in "NORMAL" driving conditions.

This is from 2015. There may be an updated policy:

The only danger that may entail a safety recall is engine stall:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you for that. Did not realize I quoted a wrong post lol.
I have a 3.6 and had oil changed every 5,000 miles. I'm almost halfway between the two oil changes now.
Did not expect any issues this early into engine life.

·
636 Posts
The 3.6L is generally very good on oil control.
An OEM PCV valve and using the specified motor oil (meeting Chrysler MS-6395) is an important consideration with oil consumption control.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are looking into buying a used 2015 Chrysler 200 base model as a car to get from point a to point b. I found a few that are under 60k miles for roughly 11k in my area, i Have rented a 2016 Chrysler 200 and liked how it drove and the great gas mileage. Just wondering if it's worth to get one?
I had never driven one much less heard of aChrysler 200 until I got one a month and a half ago I can’t speak to winter but I know as far as summer driving they’re extremely fun corners great, decent acceleration, The steering and gas pedal are extremely sensitive. Mines a limitedWhich I honestly haven’t really looked up the difference from a limited to a sport or a base model so not sure what the differences are, but it’s a lot of fun to drive

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 3.6L is generally very good on oil control.
An OEM PCV valve and using the specified motor oil (meeting Chrysler MS-6395) is an important consideration with oil consumption control.
How often do you recommend the pcv valve replacement? All my oil changes are done at the dealership every 5,000 miles. I thought pcv valve was on the same schedule as spark plugs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What do you think the oil burning is coming from? I just had one of my tires fixed at the local non dealer mechanic and he asked me how often I change my oil and pointed at the missing quart or so. I just hit 50k mi on mine.
Mine is a the 2.4 "Tigershark" - I would suspect, like most other vehicles, this engine has low tension piston rings. This is likely the cause of the oil burning. I've used Pennzoil full synthetic since I bought it at 18k and changed the oil religiously at 4.5k, so I can't see it being an internal wear issue.

Yours being a 3.6 though, I'd be suspicious of it burning oil. I have that engine in another vehicle with 140k and it has yet to burn a bit of oil. In addition to the PCV, might be worth checking the oil cooler as those have been prone to leaking from my understanding.

·
636 Posts
The PCV inspection interval is 100K miles (160K km). I have seen PCV valves last the life of the car, longer than the PCV hoses.
Only if you do decide to replace the valve, or a previous owner has, make sure that it is OEM. I have had aftermarket "OE-style" PCV valves draw excessive flow. This will increase oil consumption and may also cause idle quality issues. Too little flow can cause sludge build up and also cause idle quality issues.

Whenever a dealer shop is investigating an oil consumption concern, the outside of the engine and inside the air cleaner (crankcase breather) must be dry as a bone.
You will report back every 1000 miles or so to have the dipstick level checked and recorded. The results will be sent in to FCA for what to do next.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I bought mine new in 2014. It only has about 35K miles on it now, but the only issues I had were the transmission stalling out while driving. That was fixed with an update at the dealership within 9 months of ownership. More recently, the gaskets on the oil cooler wore out and oil started leaking everywhere. It was a $100 part and took about 3 hours to replace in my driveway just by removing the upper and lower intake manifolds. Pretty easy job. Other than that, the car has been solid.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2017, 2.4 that I bought at about 15K on it. I currently have 45K on it...no issues...it uses about 3/4 quart of oil every 5K miles.....

·
Registered
872 Posts
My 2015 has around 107K. Will find out exactly when kid brings it home later this month and I put the snow tires on. Only issues I have had that I can remember were:

Tensioner squeaked when cold- changed myself
Front wheel hub bearing made noise almost from day one-changed myself
Oil cooler /filter housing cracked at around 100K- changed myself
Replaced ECU harness from the recall- Changed myself

Can't think of anything else. I found it was reliable..

Oh, and our 2019 Jeep has around 20K and has been trouble free so far :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts