Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Chrysler 200 C, and recently I have had the car stall as I pull out of my driveway in the morning. The engine will die, and I will see the message saying "Shift to P to start" or whatever. Both times, I have been able to restart the engine and drive normally the rest of the day.

I have had a number of other times over the past several months where it feels like the vehicle is on the verge of stalling, usually when backing out of a parking space.

The battery is a year old and has checked out fine, and I recently had an oil change.

The car has also had a rough idle for long time.

Any idea where to look or what to check on?

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,653 Posts
Any fault codes? What engine?

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
There was a PCM software update released in 2018 that addressed some idle stability/roughness issues.
I would start with this. The PCM software has an 8yr/80K mile warranty, if you are within that. Otherwise the shop charge should be reasonable.
Have the spark plugs been changed yet? The correct Champion Iridium REC10WMPB4 should be used.

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Document

Reactions: CoachZ

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was a PCM software update released in 2018 that addressed some idle stability/roughness issues.
I would start with this. The PCM software has an 8yr/80K mile warranty, if you are within that. Otherwise the shop charge should be reasonable.
Have the spark plugs been changed yet? The correct Champion Iridium REC10WMPB4 should be used.

View attachment 60148
I can't remember if I had that software update performed. I'm well beyond 80,000 miles, so if I haven't done if then I assume there would be a charge for the update?

I'll look into the spark plugs. Thank you!

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
Did you buy the car new? The dealer should be able to pull up your past service history to see if, where and when it was done. They can also check for open recalls, etc. The service desk should be able to print up a VIP Summary, looks like this:

Font Material property Parallel Number Pattern

My Heated Seat/Steering Wheel Module needed an update because the steering wheel heater was turning off too soon. If your PCM was updated, it would probably say: 'Module, Powertrain Control' in this space.
Ask if other modules with updates can be done at this time as well (while the tool is still connected).

They may be able to do the updates under the 'Diagnostic Fee', which is also the 'Minimum Charge' (1 hr labor) at many dealers. Depending on dealer & region, labor rates are about $100-$150 per hour?
Policies & prices vary between dealers. A good Service Advisor will explain the shop policy to you at write-up.

The spark plugs should be good for 100K miles. Keep them in order of removal & compare tip colors for cylinder burn differences.

Reactions: CoachZ

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have had this happen a few (2 or 3) times. I just figured it was because I jumped in, started the car and took off before everything had a chance to completely boot up (so to speak). My car has had all of the TSB done to it, I have over 160000 miles on it now so I figure its no big deal.

·
Super Moderator
2,227 Posts
I can't remember if I had that software update performed. I'm well beyond 80,000 miles, so if I haven't done if then I assume there would be a charge for the update?

I'll look into the spark plugs. Thank you!
I replaced my plugs at 95000 miles. They needed it ! The idle was smoother and overall performance improved.
Make sure you get OEM plugs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This problem happened again after about a month of smooth sailing. I have yet to replace the spark plugs, but I did bring the vehicle in to have a software update performed as a result of a recall notice.

I took a video of the display right after the car stalled. This was as I was 2 or 3 minutes into my drive.

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
Still no fault codes in either the PCM for the blinking ETC light or ABS module? The ESP resides in the ABS module.
Do these lights come on at every stall?
Something that can fail and not leave any codes behind is the Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor.

There was an alert sent out on earlier ones, but any date range can fail. Please take this as a guess and not a diagnosis.
They can be difficult to diagnose as they can leave no clues behind and the car usually starts right back up.
I have captured the failure on a live data recording. I suggest using an OEM part.

Sleeve Font Automotive tire Audio equipment Multimedia

Font Darkness Electric blue Circle Event

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The check engine light has remained on today, but no other messages or issues since the stalling this morning. I believe the same lights came on when I had the stalling problem a month ago.

As far as your question about fault codes, do I need to use a scan tool to find that out? Or are you asking if there are any other error messsages on the display?

Is the CKP sensor pretty easy to access/replace?

Appreciate your help!

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
If the 'ck eng' light comes on, a fault code should be stored. Even if the light goes back out, the PCM should keep the code in memory for the next 40 starts or so. Most parts stores will read them if the light is on. You can plug it in and check it for yourself if the light goes out.
I imagine that after a stall, many dash lights come on.
Product Font Wood Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you would, please list the code(s). The MAP sensor is involved but may not be the problem. The code will help in rooting out the problem. There is typically a list of suspects associated with the code that need to be checked out.

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
Agree. The code should start with a 'P'. Write it down.
There is no code that blames the MAP sensor part itself or says the MAP sensor needs replacing.

There are codes that blame the MAP sensor circuit (open or short) or the MAP/TPS correlation as one sensor's reading should affect the other.

An unexpected stall can cause a MAP correlation/implausibility code from the PCM because of the TPS position. Both sensors may be telling the truth in what they are seeing & working perfectly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had another stall this morning, again a couple minutes into my drive.

I also noticed the "low oil pressure" message pop up for a split-second while driving. I'm going to check my oil level after work.

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
Low oil pressure can cause a stall on MultiAir engines. Has this vehicle had an oil consumption issue?
Recall W84 was issued for the Chrysler 200 w/ 2.4L for this.

Font Number Parallel

Font Parallel Document Number

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just the past month or so, I have noticed higher oil consumption. I need to check the oil levels again to see if it's still an issue.

I don't think I have had the W84 recall done on my 200. When I go to mopar.com to check on active recalls, I don't see W84 listed for my VIN.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
W20 would have taken the place of W84:
Font Electric blue Parallel Screenshot Brand

1 - 20 of 28 Posts