Chrysler 200 Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I just checked my oil, and it was very low. Was off the dipstick, and I had to add 2 or 2.5 quarts.

I had a full synthetic oil change performed 5,000 miles ago.

Do you think the stalling and limp mode, all this other than the rough idle, might be related to simply low oil?

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,653 Posts
That remains to be seen. Drive the car some first.

·
Super Moderator
2,227 Posts
I just checked my oil, and it was very low. Was off the dipstick, and I had to add 2 or 2.5 quarts.

I had a full synthetic oil change performed 5,000 miles ago.

Do you think the stalling and limp mode, all this other than the rough idle, might be related to simply low oil?
I have the 2.4 engine and I make it a point to check the oil frequently, at least every other tank of gas.
I would add oil when it reached 1/2 quart low.
Don't rely on indicator lights to inform you of problems, be proactive and check everything as the car ages.
I have over 136,000 miles. It always used oil, but not enough to concern me.

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
We are assuming that the oil was filled to the correct level & was filled with the correct (MS-6395) oil at the last change.
Is this the first that you were aware of low oil?
The recall helped most, but not all oil consumption cases. FCA has offered to replace engines in problem cars.
Make sure that there are no external engine oil leaks or wetness. If the PCV valve has been changed, make sure that it is OEM.
The dealer has a procedure to verify high oil consumption. You are asked to return to the dealer after an oil/filter change and the level check is documented. From there they determine if the oil use is inside or outside the allowable limits.
Oil consumption itself is not neccessarily a bad thing. The only reason that this became a recall was the safety risk of a stalling engine. MultiAir & VVT uses oil pressure to actuate valve lift & cam timing. See attached.

Attachments

Reactions: fltru103

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I was first aware of low oil a few months ago. I encountered stalling once or twice, then decided to check the oil and found it was 1-2 quarts low. Adding oil solved the stalling.

At the time I was about 1,000 miles out from an oil change, and I had a full synthetic change performed. The technician advised me the oil was low when they changed it and advised me to keep an eye on it.

So am I understanding correctly that if this is a high oil consumption issue and not a leak, FCA may replace my engine?

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
The decision would be dependent on the consumption test results. It all has to be documented. Gather your receipts & maintenance records.
Did the oil change place happen to put that they found a low engine oil level in writing? Or was it just word of mouth?
Call the dealer for instructions when it is time to change the oil again.

Rectangle Font Circle Number Paper product

21 - 28 of 28 Posts