Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to jump start it two day's ago. Ran fine till this morning jump started it again. Started but now shift knob is stuck in neutral engine light, traction control light, and park brake light now on. I disconnected the battery thinking the system would reprogram itself while I changed the battery for a few hours. And now everything cleared out on dash and I can move the shift knob through all the selections and they light up in all positions. Back up camera even comes up in reverse. But that's it dose not drive in any gear still stuck in neutral. And now dash shows service park brake. Anyone have an explanation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You have the doors closed while you're doing this? The reason I ask is if the car senses "in gear" with a door open it thinks "roll away scenario" and throws the Ebrake on automatically.

Other than that it sounds exactly like what the car is telling you. E brake froze on while it sat (assuming that's why you were jump starting it) and the car feels it. When my Chevy Sonic does that I just pop the clutch and shock the rear wheels until it breaks free... but I imagine the 200 is too "smart" for that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never had the parking brake set before starting it with driver door open for the pass two years. But I did try starting it with the doors closed after disconnecting the battery to let the system reset while charging the battery for a few hours. Mainly need to figure out why it's stuck in neutral And will not go into any gear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2015 has push button start and shift knob like a radio diel no stick shift at all much less a clutch. But I wish it certainly be an easier fix without all the computer bull*^%#.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I own and service a 2015 200C.

An open door while it's in gear is what makes it angry. But it sounds like you checked that.

Note it is probably not "stuck" in neutral. If the car senses an Ebrake fault condition it will likely HOLD the car in neutral to keep from damaging itself.

Did you have the Ebrake on while it was parked with the dead battery? And did you leave the car parked for an extended period of time... such that the emergency brake hardware could have become physically stuck on as Ebrakes are known to do from time to time?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No the battery was never completely dead the first day I went to jump start it for the wife and she didn't have the Ebrake on. That day radio worked lights worked just was clicking when I push start button. When I hooked battery cables to it started right away like something might have been left on. And car never sits longer than maybe 12 hours it's her daily driver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone told me to try fully charging the battery because that could also be the problem. They said computer might not have enough energy going to it to respond. Have you heard any thing like that before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just tried couple of other things. And your right the car Will automatically set the Ebrake if it's off and running when I open the doors because it stuck in neutral. And now it will not kill the engine when I push start button. I had to disconnect the battery just now to stop the motor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well if the battery drained overnight that suggests you had something keeping the CANbus system (car's brain) awake all night. That could be something as simple as an accessory plugged into the OBDII diagnostic port (you running any insurance company plug-in dongles or aftermarket engine monitors?) ... OR ... you have an electrical short circuit that is waking up the computer, draining the battery, and causing all manner of CANbus gremlins (either from the low battery or the short circuit itself).

Out of curiosity, did you get your recall repair done for the cruise control yet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Battery NEVER drained. And yes I'm now finding 8 separate recalls that affect over 1,972,227 2015 Chrysler 200. That include not only the cruise control. The rear shock absorbers may partially detach. Air Bag May Deploy Improperly. Driver Door Wire Harness Insufficient Gage. Radio Software Security Vulnerabilities. Intermittent Connection C4 Connector And OFC. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION NOT SHIFTING INTO PARK.....NHTSA ID#15V090000.....FINELY TRANSMISSION MAY SHIFT UNEXPECTEDLY TO NEUTRAL NHTSA ID#16V52000 will post more if I find more after our vacation.

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
Any bets all the original poster needs is a new battery ?

As for all the "recalls" mentioned in post #11, remember this.
Not all recalls affect ALL vehicles. Some have a very limited numbers that are affected and most only need an inspection with no repairs.
Many only required a "software" flash.
Overblown fears of some catastrophic issues are really baseless.

Our 2015 200S, purchased in June 2014 has only had software updates for every recall it had. No parts where ever replaced.
Great car !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just tried couple of other things. And your right the car Will automatically set the Ebrake if it's off and running when I open the doors because it stuck in neutral. And now it will not kill the engine when I push start button. I had to disconnect the battery just now to stop the motor.
I just had this same thing happen to my 2015 What’s the fix? I have my battery disconnected now to get it to shut off ..mine went dead because a door was left slightly open. I also have my ebrake on now otherwise it rolls out of my garage. I’ve tried to pop the middle console release and that didn’t do anything.. error msg is performance shift unavailable and service awd ,check engine light as well. What else have you tried?

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
565 Posts
Welcome to the forums. There is a TSB # 08-082-14 concerning the ESM (electronic shift module) becoming unresponsive:
And the EPB (electronic parking brake) unable to engage with the Auto-apply feature. It should manually engage OK:
Try these simple things first. There are other software updates for the various modules. See if the shop can update all modules that have an update available while the tool is connected during your visit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts