Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I'm looking at a 2015 Chrysler 200 Limited V6 3.6L with 50k miles on it.
Test driving soon - I can feel if the 9-speed transmission is jerky but I can't test drive it for engine stalls.

I'm wary of the 200's reputation w.r.t. transmission and engine failure.
I can see it was in for a transmission computer replacement and PCM reprogramming in 2017 and had an engine check in 2018.
The engine check service was within 2 weeks of a new owner of the vehicle and the previous owner got rid of it after only 1 year. The car has had 3 owners total, has supposedly been well-serviced throughout the years and no open recalls.
I'm not sure if the 1-year ownership just transferred the car to a family member or if they experienced engine stalls and deemed the car unsafe.

What I can't find out through research is how frequent these issues were in the 2015 model and if they were properly resolved in recalls.
Some people report nothing but issues, others report no problems at all through a 150k mileage life.

Any 2015 Chrysler 200 3.6L owners or people with experience who can shed some light on this for me?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2,089 Posts
Hi.

Test driving soon - I can feel if the 9-speed transmission is jerky but I can't test drive it for engine stalls.

I can see it was in for a transmission computer replacement and PCM reprogramming in 2017 and had an engine check in 2018.
The engine check service was within 2 weeks of a new owner of the vehicle and the previous owner got rid of it after only 1 year. The car has had 3 owners total, has supposedly been well-serviced throughout the years and no open recalls.
I'm not sure if the 1-year ownership just transferred the car to a family member or if they experienced engine stalls and deemed the car unsafe.

What I can't find out through research is how frequent these issues were in the 2015 model and if they were properly resolved in recalls.
Some people report nothing but issues, others report no problems at all through a 150k mileage life.

Any 2015 Chrysler 200 3.6L owners or people with experience who can shed some light on this for me?

Thank you.
Not sure what you mean ?
"Test driving soon - I can feel if the 9-speed transmission is jerky but I can't test drive it for engine stalls."

The 3.6 engine is a reliable and well acclaimed engine.
As you said, some people report problems, others don't.
Most complain of the 9 speed transmission and it's shifting quality. Most can be resolved with the latest updates . The rest is more a process of you learning the transmission and accepting it's not like any past vehicle you ever drove.

As for the stated engine failures. Some older 3.6 engines had a problems which Chrysler / FCA extended warranty on those. It was fixed sometime after 2013.
Read this article, but remember the final thing they said.
Is the Pentastar 3.6L Engine Reliable?
Short answer – yes. The FCA 3.6L Pentastar engine is reliable. We’ll give the Pentastar above average marks for reliability. Again, there is a reason this engine is powering so many flagship vehicles from Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, and Ram; the same reason it’s been around for a decade. The FCA 3.6L engine is reliable and efficient all while providing solid performance.

I suggest a complete inspection by a mechanic familiar with the product. It may cost, but a Chrysler dealer is best prepared to explain what is needed on this car concerning updates to the software.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
977 Posts
The latest and greatest TCM software update for the UF was on 12/19/18:

At that time, they would also want to perform a Quicklearn and PROXI before returning the car to you.

There is a PCM (and other modules) updates as well (this might have been what was done in 2017):

Use motor oil meeting Chrysler MS-6395 (I prefer a synthetic).

Reactions: hejy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the posts.

The car is sold by an authorized FCA dealership. They have a good number of used Chrysler 200's from 2015-2016 (I think 5 or 6 off the top of my head).

There's an overwhelming amount of reports re: engine stalling at low speeds or while braking, and on freeways:
2015 Chrysler 200 - Problems, Statistics, and Analysis

I'm nervous about the car's reputation for stalling in traffic. I've never experienced anything like that in anything I've driven.

I don't know if this happens in all the 2015 models?
Or if I should look at a 2016 instead (but that would sadly be the V4)?

I was previously considering a 2017 Buick Verano but the Chrysler 200 V6 ticks the boxes it didn't - but that car at least has a reputation for being reliable.

Is the engine stalling anything any of you have any knowledge to share about?

Also see this specific post Engine stalled, restarted, drove fine?? 2015 200 limited

I find it hard to believe that so many people complain about engine stalling simply due to low oil level. That would be an issue with any car. Are people just that bad at checking their oil?

·
Super Moderator
2,089 Posts
Remember, most people complain, very few praise a vehicle on an open forum.

My experience.
I own and have had 2 vehicles with the 3.6 Pentastar engine. Never had a stalling issue. In fact, no engine issues or problems.

In 2016, the engine choices were the same. A 2.4 multi-air 4 cylinder, or a 3.6 Pentastar. Chrysler never had a V4.

The "low oil" causing a stall issue is on the 2.4 multi-air. The oil level must be kept near full for proper actuation of the electro-hydraulic valve actuators.
I personally have a 2015 200 with the 2.4 engine. Current mileage is 123,000 + with no issues to date, other then software updates. It does use oil, it doesn't smoke, but it consumes 2 quarts between changes. I keep a close check on it and top it off when it needs a half quart.

And yes, people are bad at checking oil levels, or anything else on a car.
My step-son ran his car out of oil and cooked the engine.
He said to me "the sticker on the windshield says I don't need and oil change until **** ... why should I check the oil"?
He has now learned to check the oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I'll keep your input on the ZF9 transmission in mind while driving the car.

I'm less worried about it now.

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
I think that many problems get amplified on the internet. My V6 has never stalled.
The MultiAir valvetrain of the 2.4L requires oil pressure to open the valves. If pressure is allowed to be lost, the engine may stall. Not all cars will have an issue with oil consumption or stalling.
For those that do, there is a recall:
MC-10187103-9999.pdf
The problem isn't 'defective' piston rings, they are 'low-tension' rings to reduce frictional losses within the engine.
If your car exhibits excessive engine oil consumption, contact your dealer. The list of eligible models will likely grow.
Use only API-certified motor oils meeting Chrysler MS-6395 (on the label) and the correct viscosity and synthetic oil, if it is called for. See your owners manual or it may be printed on the oil filler cap.

Reactions: hejy

·
Registered
2015 200 S AWD and 2016 Cadillac ATS4 performance 2.0T
32 Posts
I have a 2015 200S AWD purchased back in 2018 I am the second owner. It had 20k miles on it when I purchased it and had 58k now I haven’t done anything to it except oil changes, breaks, tires, and a battery. I just had the coolant flushed and am about to do some other preventative maintenance. It’s be a very reliable car. I do occasionally get a rough shift between 4 and 5 going up hill. Def drive it up a step hill and make it shift from 4 to 5 on its own. I’ve found to just hold 3rd or 4th gear going up hill no issue. My car has the ZF trans.

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
I was getting an occasionally harsh 4-5 shift on hills, especially when laden with passengers and cargo. I had to check the rear view mirror as I thought that I was rear-ended. 😲
The car already had the new TCM software update, but after performing the quicklearn and resetting the PROXI, it has shifted smooth as butter in all gears since.
(Note that the PROXI was present for the TCM. The tech turned it off, then back on to reset it).

Reactions: hejy and fltru103

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I like the car. I felt a few harsh shifting going into 3rd but nothing I would consider a problem. Maybe if you've driven automatics all your life. I've spent most of my time in manuals - this will be my first automatic, although I've driven automatics a lot. Just felt like a very well performed manual shift to me the few times it did it. Shifting higher than 3rd it was smooth as tennessee whisky ;)

I tried taking it up a (very) steep hill and the car seemed to refuse to shift into 5th, stayed in 4th. Maybe they tweaked that with a software update to make it less likely to shift into 5th. I was a good 15-20 km/h over when it'd happily shift into 5th on a straight.

Having my own mechanic give it a check up tomorrow. If all is well - will buy.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I bought my 2015 200 with the 3.6 engine brand new back in Apr 2015. It currently has about 61000 kms (38000 miles) on the clock. I am a stickler for getting the proper maintenance performed on the car at the prescribed intervals. I am also an absolute stickler for having the dealership install the Chrysler advised oil viscosity. Other than wear and tear items, brakes, oil changes (synthetic) etc, I have had no problems with the car serious enough to mention. The 3.6 engine has been a great trouble free and smooth running performance beast. The fuel consumption has been excellent especially on a trip. If you are looking to buy a 200 the only advice I can give to you is to go for the 3.6 as opposed to the 2.4.
My last car was a brand new 2013 Avenger with the 2.4 engine which I found underpowered for the car. So much so that I took the hit when I traded it in only after two years for the 3.6 200 and have never looked back. I have been driving this car now for over six years and I still really enjoy the looks, the performance and the comfort of the 200 and have never had any thoughts of trading it in.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 200 S AWD and 2016 Cadillac ATS4 performance 2.0T
32 Posts
I like the car. I felt a few harsh shifting going into 3rd but nothing I would consider a problem. Maybe if you've driven automatics all your life. I've spent most of my time in manuals - this will be my first automatic, although I've driven automatics a lot. Just felt like a manual shift to me the few times it did it. Shifting higher than 3rd it was smooth as tennessee whisky ;)

I tried taking it up a (very) steep hill and the car seemed to refuse to shift into 5th, stayed in 4th. Maybe they tweaked that with a software update to make it less likely to shift into 5th. I was a good 15-20 km/h over when it'd happily shift into 5th on a straight.

Having my own mechanic give it a check up tomorrow. If all is well - will buy.
Usually are so smooth you don’t feel them from 6-9 and not to much 1-4 it’s just that occasional tonight shift 4-5. However I drove a manual for my first car for several years. What I’ve experienced is nothing like that. If it happens you’ll know. But I’d still get the car it’s not bad.
I agree you want the V6 over the 4 not only do you get a better engine (not fiat) you get a better trans the ZF brand over the Chrysler made version.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi.

Thank you.
HI, I bought a 2015 200s brand new January 2015, it now has 104k miles on it, most of the issues I had with it were related to the uconnect radio, tranny has had all the updates and never really any problems, engine has been awesome except for one cylinder which was damaged after an accident, but Chrysler still fixed it under warranty because no way to tell if the accident actually caused the problem, at 99k miles I had the front right axle/ujoint whatever replaced along with the entire drive shaft for the rear, it still drives great and I intend to keep it until it drops dead, there are simply no better alternatives to it imo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the posts.

The car is sold by an authorized FCA dealership. They have a good number of used Chrysler 200's from 2015-2016 (I think 5 or 6 off the top of my head).

There's an overwhelming amount of reports re: engine stalling at low speeds or while braking, and on freeways:
2015 Chrysler 200 - Problems, Statistics, and Analysis

I'm nervous about the car's reputation for stalling in traffic. I've never experienced anything like that in anything I've driven.

I don't know if this happens in all the 2015 models?
Or if I should look at a 2016 instead (but that would sadly be the V4)?

I was previously considering a 2017 Buick Verano but the Chrysler 200 V6 ticks the boxes it didn't - but that car at least has a reputation for being reliable.

Is the engine stalling anything any of you have any knowledge to share about?

Also see this specific post Engine stalled, restarted, drove fine?? 2015 200 limited

I find it hard to believe that so many people complain about engine stalling simply due to low oil level. That would be an issue with any car. Are people just that bad at checking their oil?
If I understand you are thinking of buying the vehicle and they have several more 2015. If you are just concerned that you have found info that model has problem, don't buy it if it bothers you. If you find it is not running the way you think it should drive some of the other 2015 and see if they run the same. For your peace of mind don't buy it if you are scared of it but I will tell you almost any vehicle you find will have people complain about it. I have a 2013 2oo touring and my wife and I love it. We bought it new and have had to change the throttle body, fuel tank vent valve, battery and the thermostat assembly with both thermostats. We bought new and have had it 8 years and love it. If you check you can probably find where people do not like the 2013 model.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts