Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 days ago i jumped a friends car that was dead and later on that day i bought a new battery for my fob. Ever since that day my car has been starting funny, the touchscreen radio is freezing up. It works when it wants but mostly not and now in my dash i have the ESC light on...does anyone have any suggestions what is going on??

·
Super Moderator
2,040 Posts
4 days ago i jumped a friends car that was dead and later on that day i bought a new battery for my fob. Ever since that day my car has been starting funny, the touchscreen radio is freezing up. It works when it wants but mostly not and now in my dash i have the ESC light on...does anyone have any suggestions what is going on??
No, not a clue.
But how old is the vehicle battery ?
Is it fully charged ?

That is a starting point to diagnose your issues.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with the suggestion about your battery. I just replaced mine- 2015 200c with 68000 miles. A weak battery can cause strange behavior and if you’re running with the original battery then you’re ready for a new one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not sure if my car battery is the original one or not bc there was a previous owner before me. when i look at my battery info in my dash its says 14.0.. Also now my touchscreen radio freezes up on and off and lets me hit things on it whenever it wants..my lights in my dash flash bright to dim on and off as well as my headlights.

·
Super Moderator
2,040 Posts
Im not sure if my car battery is the original one or not bc there was a previous owner before me. when i look at my battery info in my dash its says 14.0.. Also now my touchscreen radio freezes up on and off and lets me hit things on it whenever it wants..my lights in my dash flash bright to dim on and off as well as my headlights.
What you describe are the symptoms of a weak battery.
No way anyone but a mechanic, that is looking at your car, can actually say what is happening.
However, if you don't know how old the battery is, or it's the orginal, replace it.
Voltage reading means nothing as far as the condition of the battery.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
2015 here... i'm on my 3rd battery and most recently replaced it this last year. mind you i'm way up north and it gets to like -40 for weeks at a time so i don't expect it to last anyways.

some of my random symptoms in these last times i've had the battery go bad, that now let me know the battery is starting to go...

radio randomly blinking off/blank display (sound still plays but no icons or text)
dash display blank (works again after kill and restart)
heater controls that don't retain setting (reset back after a minute or so after changing)
heater controls that don't seem to work (set to hot...keeps blowing cold or vice versa)
heated seats/steering wheel staying off despite being set on (or turning them on and they turn back off after a minute)
wild outside temperature inaccuracy (showing temp as hot as **** despite being below freezing out)
battery voltage display goes high and low seemingly at random

computers are weird finikey creatures and if things aren't absolutely perfect they get really uppity and do all kinds of random stuff. the current pull from the starter will sag the voltage down low
enough that the computers aren't getting enough juice and start going random.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have one better 4 batteries in 6 years, 2015 200 purchased 12/20/2014 had to have new battery when vehicle delivered, then 9/16, 7/18, 11/20 and every time the electrical system checked ok, and these were not cheap replacements, and I live in the South where temperatures are mild.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts