Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 200 is idling high AND my ambient temp is extremely off (Showed a temp as high as 168F but it is below zero outside).
I thought it was idling high due to a cold start but it did not idle normally once the car fully heated. The ambient temp varies but never gets close to the actual outside temp, which is below zero.
Thoughts?

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,695 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Is this a 4-cyl? Any fault codes or 'ck eng' light on?
Did both of these conditions start at the same time and do you feel they are related? I don't find anything that addresses both conditions together, so I will look at them as being 2 separate problems.

There is a software update for a rough idle, but not a fast idle. Is the throttle plate closing and not hung up on an obstruction? Throttle icing can occur in cold, damp conditions.
The throttle is controlled by a self-monitored electric feedback motor. The gas pedal is a variable sensor that tells the PCM where your foot position is.
Any interference from a floormat? PCMs and their software have an 8yr/80K mile extended federal emissions warranty. See TSB # 18-083-18 below:

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Document

The black plastic ambient temp sensor is located behind the front bumper and prone to damage from physical hits or weather.
The sensor terminals can corrode if water gets in.
Depending on what radio you have, there may be a software update for erroneous ambient temp displays (from TSB # 08-045-18A for RA3/RA4 radios).
Let us know what you find.

Rectangle Font Circle Writing Parallel

Font Gun barrel Auto part Automotive exterior Rectangle

Rectangle Font Circle Handwriting Paper product

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wow, that’s a ton of great information. Thank you! No check engine light and yes, it is a 4 cyl. My floormat is in place and not hindering the pedal. I do believe these issues are somehow related as they started at the same time. We received about 20 inches of snow and as the snow was slowing down temps dropped dramatically, as low as -39F. This morning I went out to try to find the ambient sensor and I have a ton of snow (now kind of icy) in there. Today temps are supposed to get up to +29 and car washes should be open. I’m thinking I should go get an underbody wash or two, could that make anything worse?

My father and brother are going to come out this afternoon to see what they can do and to check the throttle plate as you suggested.
I appreciate your help.

If I have to bring it into the shop, I’d liked to be armed with as much info as possible.

edit add: I don’t remember what model this is but it has to be most basic one. No fancy radio and my side mirrors aren’t even heated😶

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,695 Posts
If the lower grille and under/behind the front bumper got impacted with snow and ice, it might have damaged the ambient air temp sensor and got sucked into the air cleaner intake. This might have caused both issues to happen at the same time.
Make sure that your paper filter is dry. Remove the connector from the amb. temp sensor and check for water and/or corrosion or plastic breakage.
The active grille shutters (AGS) are down in this area and can be damaged also.

Reactions: Tsquared
1 - 4 of 4 Posts