Chrysler 200 Forum banner

2015 radiator fan issue

13K views 23 replies 4 participants last post by  200_S_AWD 
#1 ·
The radiator fan comes on as soon as the ignition is turned on. I understand that the relay is integrated within the power distribution center. Does anyone know if the entire power distribution center has to be replaced or just the top part that houses the fuses.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums. 2.4L? I wouldn't jump the gun and start replacing parts without doing a diagnosis first.
Any fault codes?

Font Rectangle Brand Logo Number

Product Rectangle Font Line Parallel

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Diagram

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

#6 ·
This is an OEM (not necessarily Mopar) part? 68197298AB or equivalent?
The Rd wire is powered all the time. The Bk wire must be a good ground.
The DBu/LBu wire is the fan enable signal. It should be powered after the engine is running pending a request from the Br/Vt control signal wire to turn it on.
Is the Br/Vt wire also powered after the engine is running? This is the actual fan on/off control wire. It should only be on when the PCM determines that cooling is needed.
Does the A/C compressor clutch stay engaged all the time while the engine is running?

Product Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Font

Rectangle Font Parallel Circuit component Technology

#10 ·
I believe the fan is a variable speed determined by the PCM sending a 'duty-cycle' signal to the fan module.
Because this is seemingly an 'intermittent' failure, check for loose or corroded connections.
A scan tool interrogation may find out why the fan goes to high speed.
The 'Fan enable' is an on/off through a relay. The 'Fan control' should softly ramp fan speeds up or down.
If the PCM can't see temperature information, it may default to high-speed for safety.

#16 ·
Has it had the PCM update to address P0480? See bottom image in post # 2.
These are the 'Possible Causes' of P0480. If the circuit is 'open', the fan may default to 'on' for protection.
Follow the wiring also shown in post # 2 and look for problems. Did this problem just occur spontaneously or did it happen after something was done? Do you know the history of this car?

Rectangle Font Screenshot Circle Number

#17 ·
So with a cold engine I checked the terminals with a multi meter. With the red lead to the red terminal and black lead to the Br/vt terminal I read 13.7 volts. With the black lead to the black terminal and red lead to the Br/vt terminal I am reading 2.2 volts. Either way I am reading voltage to the fan. I’m not sure how I’m supposed to be checking power to the Br/vt wire.

#22 ·
This car is a 2015 with the 2.4L engine?
There are a couple of different things happening here. You have fuel vapor evaporative emissions faults, the ECT (engine coolant temperature) circuit voltage low and U1504 is a steering wheel angle fault.

You are only showing 5 of the 9 stored fault codes. What are the other 4 fault codes?

There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) that should be done first. The problems may be all software and not a bad part.
Contact your dealer and ask for TSB #18-083-18 to be performed. Then see if any codes come back or the fan still runs.

Font Parallel Number Magenta Screenshot

#24 ·
Welcome to the forum. Any 'ck eng' light or dash warning messages?
The radiator fan may come on by default on a cold engine if the computer can't read temperature.
Radiator fan may come on if the A/C or Defrost is on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.