Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuning for your 2015 200 3.6 is available, and I'm committed to making it better.

The issue with 2015 tuning is the security level that Chrysler has put on their engine management software. The flash sequence is encrypted at a high level, its easy to read the computer, but rewriting it is another story. Currently, I work with HPTuners, who have the ability to rewrite the factory tuning and do a hardware modification to flash the tune without the security settings. This transforms the computer into something tunable. The drawback is they need to have the module physically to do this process. That's the essence of the 2015 tuning situation.

Currently, I have available this computer unlock service, plus the purchase of an HPTuner suite, plus my Overkill tuning services, as a package on my website. I have a couple (not many) 2015 200 3.6 computers I've obtained, to use for the unlock service, which means no downtime on your 200. Once installed, you send back your factory computer, and the process repeats for the next person.

Over the winter, I will be working on a service to flash the computer modules directly. I do this with other platforms where a handheld tuner isn't available. What I ultimately aim to be able to do is reprogram a computer module using Chrysler's reprogramming service (like a dealer would have), then be able to get that newly programmed computer unlocked, and then reflash it with my Overkill tuning, to be provided to you on an exchange basis for your factory computer. It'll be a computer that has Overkill tuning on it, ready to install, essentially. This will significantly reduce the cost of 2015 200 tuning.

So for those who want tuning now, its available, and for those who don't have that kind of budget for tuning know that I'm working on alternatives for the platform.

Also, I4 owners, this reprogramming the module service is something that I can look at for your vehicles as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is my only car I haven't tune Yet due to the price and warranty issues Would like to see something down the line for tuning within a budget

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yeah, while I am interested in the tuning, the price point is scary. I have paid that much to tune in the past, but with turbocharged cars where the gains per $ were very significant. In this case I think we are not looking to gain significant numbers. That being said, I believe there is more power potential in the tune than in any other part or service that can currently be bought (save for rigging up a pentastar compatible supercharger).

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would like to know what the difference would be, as said, being n/a I am sure the #'s would not be worth the cost. Now if turbo'd or SC'd the difference would be dramatic, miss having that type of car.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would like to know what the difference would be, as said, being n/a I am sure the #'s would not be worth the cost. Now if turbo'd or SC'd the difference would be dramatic, miss having that type of car.
Well here's your chance to add a little snail or screw compressor to your vehicle and tune it and stop missing a boost car. I myself find the new Sprintex blower a cute add on.

·
Super Moderator
2,421 Posts
"Customer #4 Dyno Tested Overkill E85 Tune 267whp vs 238whp from Diablo preloaded tune, a 29 wheel horsepower gain"

Seems pretty significant gain with the E85 tune. That said I do miss having a forced inducted vehicle, gains per dollar are higher with forced induction (I had a 2000 Grand Prix GTP coupe).

Then again having forced induction is kinda cheating, I grew up driving RWD cars with large displacement V8's.

My Buddy with his rare number's matching low miles Orange AMC Javelin (one in a collection of many AMC's) has over 900WHP, no nitrous oxide or supercharger, says forced induction would be a defilement to do something like that to a musclecar, basically an insult. He runs 9's or something crazy up here at 5800 feet above sea level, and the car is street-able and has plates, granted it's only driven on the street maybe once per year. Show winner, drag car vehicle. I am envious because anybody can go just go buy a fast car, but to do what he does and win shows etc... that's says something more than some arrogant ass that just goes out and buys an expensive fast car that somebody poops out at an assembly plant then slaps on a bunch of bolt ons'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL0_fGGS_N8 <-- that's the car a from a few years ago

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
THE MUSCLE CAR DAYS WERE NOTHING BUT BOLT ONS. Back in the day, if you wanted to go fast the bolt ons were a new intake, a new carb, distributer with a hotter spark, better spark plug wires to handle the additional spark, headers, a new camshaft, roller rocker arms, a higher stalling torque converter or a better stronger clutch, a rear gear ring swap with a taller gear, traction bars, drag slicks, a lower temp t-stat, . So don't go talking crap about todays cars and their bolt ons. Because I was an Avid Muscle Car owner with a 550 HP muscle car, that took all the above parts to get there. Each generation of cars has there "bolt ons".

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Then again having forced induction is kinda cheating
NO. ITS CALLED SCIENCE. Make the same HP with less displacement. The answer for more power back in the day was called a BIG BLOCK. These days its smaller, lighter engines, with 300hp that get 30mpg and won't kill you in your sleep if you leave it running in the garage overnight.

·
Super Moderator
2,421 Posts
THE MUSCLE CAR DAYS WERE NOTHING BUT BOLT ONS.
Sure they were, that's not what I was trying to say...

Nowdays a person can be an arrogant ass and belittle people on car forums with family sedans like the 200 (like ours) trying to gain performance from a V6 while that same person can go out and buy say I don't know ...a Hellcat or Porsche or the like and talk about how cute the little mods are on the family sedans,.. any ass with $$ can do that, takes no skill or brains whatsoever.

Now to restore and build a classic is a different thing. That's worth bragging about when you do it right. Ex.. here's his car again (one of them) http://coloradoamx.com/crush

He also has a 90K$ Road Runner to name another. Their garage is incredible. He's not an ass and would not post on a car forum about the cute little mods someone can do to their 200.

http://coloradoamx.com/crush <--- there it is again. Science? YEP! See the spec sheet.

·
Super Moderator
2,421 Posts
NO. ITS CALLED SCIENCE. Make the same HP with less displacement. The answer for more power back in the day was called a BIG BLOCK. These days its smaller, lighter engines, with 300hp that get 30mpg and won't kill you in your sleep if you leave it running in the garage overnight.
:confused: Not understanding the comment about leaving it running in the garage overnight... pretty sure you're dead if you do that with just about any car... maybe I read it wrong.

My first 3 cars had an Oldsmobile 455 Rocket V8 with a TH400 behind them. My parents cars' engines growing up - 454 Chevy, 455 Buick, 460 Ford, and 455 Olds 428 Ford. What's a "BIG BLOCK"? :p I didn't even get to drive anything without a big block til I was in my early 20's.

Anyway... yeah imressive gains can be had with this tuner I think based on the dyno's on their website, when the price comes down I am game.

·
Registered
331 Posts
There are Both these days, big engines such as the 6.2L Hemi in the Hellcats, the LT4 6.2L from the Corvettes, and the 5.2L V8 from the Mustangs. Then you can look at the more technologically advanced engines such as the 3.6L V6 from the Cadillac ATS making 321 HP to one that's less than half the size (Liter wise) the 1.5L Three Cylinder 400HP engine from Nissan.

Now the old Steel Block engines were (are) Heavier and use significantly more fuel. The newer technology engines of current day use very precise - computer controlled fuel metering, air mix ratios, timing etc. etc. etc.. and make a lot of HP but with greater efficiency. They also are MUCH harder to learn how to work on, even for doing simple tasks such as a spark plug change.

I have rebuilt 3 engines in my day including a straight 6 out of my old '73 Chevy Nova, a Big Block 351 out of my Dad's Ford Van, and a 305 out of my 1977 Chevy Caprice Classic. I wouldn't know where to start on today's cars.

Tesla's latest used two electric motors, one to drive the front wheels and one to drive the rear. Can you imagine if Nissan were to use two of those 1.5L Three bangers making 400 HP each in the same manner? A 3.0L total engine size with a combined 800 HP and AWD.

·
Registered
465 Posts
My Buddy with his rare number's matching low miles Orange AMC Javelin (one in a collection of many AMC's) has over 900WHP, no nitrous oxide or supercharger, says forced induction would be a defilement to do something like that to a musclecar, basically an insult.
Welp I guess it's time for me to raise the B.S. flag (where is that icon??)

I kinda have built more than a few 401 AMC's currently this was the latest

And i'll tell you you friend ain't close to 900 HP he's lucky to be near 500HP on a good day at sea level..

you friend seems like a guy I'd like as he drives the things I started with way back in the early 1970's...

I'm sure he'll tell you that engine ain't making that horsepower... that engine I posted makes 900 HP with 15 pounds of boost and over 1300 HP with a 400 shot of nitrous..

Here is the dyno pull with a 175 HP shot

https://youtu.be/DmvzACSpQVM

My HC needs a blower to make 700HP.. your not making that much HP without a supplement of some kind.

If you want to build your own follow my step by step here..

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/499414-anyone-want-see-another-cj7-401-buildup.html

Custom builds have never been about bolting anything up.. you buy stuff, you get stuff,you trade stuff, and then you figure out how to make everything work together...... anyone that says different has NEVER built anything custom in their lives.

As for the new engines the technology in the heads is where it's at... so much engineering to make the big horsepower numbers..plus add three and four valves per cylinder.... exotic engine management ...high flow induction...and now todays engines are a thing of beauty

Look what parked next to me yesterday

·
Registered
465 Posts
Now the old Steel Block engines were (are) Heavier and use significantly more fuel.
All my late model Gen III and IV Hemi's (6.1L -6.4L ) are Cast Iron block.........You can't beat the cast for strength.

The V6 3.6 L in the 200's are aluminum.

To bring things back on subject... tuning for 2015 + models require the new GPEC PCM's to have a (pin lift) to allow the tuner to write the calibration. Because FCA used rolling encryption they thought they could stop us from tuning. well it has slowed us down but won't stop us. Thats why you have to send your PCM in for exchange to allow for tuning.

They could stop it if they really wanted by "blowing the chip write fuse" (basically writing code to not allow reflashing) but then bringing your vehicle in for a recall or to address a factory tuning problem would require a whole new PCM everytime and that would be cost prohibitive.

·
Super Moderator
2,421 Posts
Welp I guess it's time for me to raise the B.S. flag (where is that icon??)

I kinda have built more than a few 401 AMC's currently this was the latest

And i'll tell you you friend ain't close to 900 HP he's lucky to be near 500HP on a good day at sea level..

you friend seems like a guy I'd like as he drives the things I started with way back in the early 1970's...

I'm sure he'll tell you that engine ain't making that horsepower... that engine I posted makes 900 HP with 15 pounds of boost and over 1300 HP with a 400 shot of nitrous..

Here is the dyno pull with a 175 HP shot

https://youtu.be/DmvzACSpQVM

My HC needs a blower to make 700HP.. your not making that much HP without a supplement of some kind.

If you want to build your own follow my step by step here..

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/499414-anyone-want-see-another-cj7-401-buildup.html

Custom builds have never been about bolting anything up.. you buy stuff, you get stuff,you trade stuff, and then you figure out how to make everything work together...... anyone that says different has NEVER built anything custom in their lives.

As for the new engines the technology in the heads is where it's at... so much engineering to make the big horsepower numbers..plus add three and four valves per cylinder.... exotic engine management ...high flow induction...and now todays engines are a thing of beauty

Look what parked next to me yesterday
Cliff notes?

I posted the link to the spec sheet on the car.

I'll ask him the dyno numbers I could have it wrong but I know it red lines around ~8000 RPM. I know for certain he's over 500 HP. I'll try and talk to him today. I actually have not talked to him in a while.

·
Super Moderator
2,421 Posts
Back on topic - the gains to be had with this by what customers have reported seem to be worth it, I am on the fence, 1049 is quite a bit to pay for tuning... I do want to do it even if it seems pointless to those who have lots of $$ to spend on faster vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
2,421 Posts

I started out life... in the early 1970's.

I just talked to him. He told me to the wheels it was 520 something last it was on the dyno. I didn't ask but I am pretty sure that's altitude corrected, in other words adjusted for the 12-15% loss and translated to sea level etc.. either way the thing is an animal.

He's driven it 50 miles in 2 years. Confirmed 520 something horsepower to the wheels with no spray or boost. I guess I was way off but I knew it was pretty incredible, that thing has won so many awards.

Sorry trying to stay on topic... previous gen and an Avenger but same 3.6... 0-60 run with overkill tune i found on YouTube

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello!
I am interested... You are offering us a tuning option while no one else does. I need to thank you for that. I've been searching for a while now and couldn't find anything.
This could be opening the door to a quite a few interesting scenarios for our car.

Here are a few questions:
I own a 2015 200s AWD, would your package be compatible with the AWD system?

Would it be possible to program a launch control on it? I would love to get off the line at higher rev...

I've seen your package on your website:
http://www.getoverkilled.ca/pentastar.html
Will I be able to change or monitor some stuff in the unlocked ecu with the HP tuner suite? You know, like the other handhelds (change timing, modify af, monitor knk, etc)

Will the dealer figure it out? I do not trust the 9 speed but did purchase an extended warranty. So not ''if'' but rather ''when'' the tranny blows up, if they know about the tuner, things will become complicated. I know a few readers will pass judgment when they read this... but I'm telling you all... it will blow even if the engine is not tuned. Just a matter of time, if you had my car, you would know what I mean.

Last but not least, someone mentionned a nice little supercharger...
Would it be possible to provide tuning for it if I were to get one installed?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts