Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just started about 3 months ago. When I fill the car with Shell 87 octane, I always stop filling at the first click, the engine runs rough, the transmission shifts are hard, and finally the engine stops. It starts easy but, it still runs funky for the next 30 minutes or so. After that, engine and trans work fine until the next time I fill up with gas. No lights at all on the dashboard when the problem occurs...and it's embarrassing when you stall on a busy street and you've got to bring the car to a stop in order to start it.

Have had it to the dealer, they tell me it's the Evap Canister and Fuel Pump!! Really?? Anyway, we are arguing with Vehicle One on the extended warranty but haven't been able to get it fixed under warranty. So, I'm driving the car and dreading the next time I go to fill it up with gas.

Help!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,825 Posts
Just a question ?
Have you attempted to add only a half tank of gas and see if the same condition occurs ?
Or does it only happen when you fill it ?

Next, extended warranties ( service contracts ) are not all the same.
Chrysler / FCA max care contract covers the fuel pump.
The evap canister is a 3/36 item and is not a covered item in any contract. ( it's considered a maintenance item )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a question ?
Have you attempted to add only a half tank of gas and see if the same condition occurs ?

ANSWER: Yes. Doesn't happen then. But I never overfill it. Always stop at the first nozzle shut off. As an aside, that's what my wife suggested...makes it tough to keep track of gas mileage and I'm anal about keeping records.

The evap canister is a 3/36 item and is not a covered item in any contract. ( it's considered a maintenance item )

ANSWER: Vehicle One and I have the premium package so it's all covered.
Thanks for the reply...I'm going over to the dealer and ask more questions. They still don't have authorization to repair it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a question ?

Thanks for the reply.

ANSWER: Yes. Doesn't happen then. I don't like doing that because I keep track of gas mileage. As an aside, that's what my wife suggested...don't fill it up!!

ANSWER: Our extended warranty is with Vehicle One (Premium package 72 months, 100,000 miles) but dealer still hasn't received authorization to repair.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I've had this happened to me on a prior car. It's definitely the evap canister, where too much gas has entered somehow and ruined a computer chip or sensor. I'm surprised they are not covering the fuel pump replacement though. Actually surprised as well as the fuel pump went out. Usually the evap canister protects the pump, or so I thought. It's been 15 years sine I had that issue, so some things may have changed since then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply and the information. Makes sense that the evap canister is the cause. Dealer says they replace the fuel pump "just in case". Your reply makes me fee better!! Still waiting for the parts. Finally got a hold of the extended warantee folks and they will cover both parts. $1500!!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Thanks for the reply and the information. Makes sense that the evap canister is the cause. Dealer says they replace the fuel pump "just in case". Your reply makes me fee better!! Still waiting for the parts. Finally got a hold of the extended warantee folks and they will cover both parts. $1500!!
GOOD GRIEF....I remember only spending $125 for the fuel pump to be replaced in my 88 Chevy Beretta v6 and a 90 Cav Z24. Yep, prices have definitely gone up on this expense.....sheesh..... Fortunately the car I had an issue with the evap canister was under warranty at the time, a 2003 Mazda 6s. The evap canister going out was actually my fault at the time and was happy warranty covered it. I topped off the fuel tank rather than stopping at the first click with the pump. This was my first experience in a car with one of these canisters. Haven't topped off a car since, think they all now have these as mandated for emissions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was the first question the Service Advisor asked me: "Did you stop at the first click or fill it up to the top?" I advised that since I bought the care new I've never "topped it off". Of all the cars I've owned, never had this happen to me.

My classic muscle car, a 1970 #s matching Duster 340, was easy to work on. Replaced the water pump in about 30 minutes and cost $34. I owned the car for 10 years and finally got tired of repairing all kinds of "little" things, like screws coming loose on the front grille, a carburetor that simply didn't want to run lean, fuel line leaks, and a cranky exhaust system. I always got the issues repaired with correct coded parts, etc. every spring tho', kept running into other problems. Of course those Duster's were "A" bodies and were never designed to go 50 years without some repair!!

Thanks for the reply. Still waiting for the parts...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts