Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I was in a 2019 jeep and noticed it had Apple Carplay. So I got to looking around to see if I could get it to work in my 2016 8.4 uconnect. So the first thing I did was update my Uconnect to Version 17.43.01 hoping this was the key to unlock apple carplay... to my dissatisfaction it would appear not. I'm hoping I'm just missing something.. I have a 2016 200 Anniversary Edition with the 8.4 Uconnect. Can anyone shed any light on this for me.

If I can't do it with the factory interface. Whats the best way to hack this in so I can? Any feedback is much appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey there. Unfortunately there is no way to add it into the factory system. FCA made hardware changes on more recent versions of Uconnect. These were required to run CarPlay and Android Auto. Siri hands free is the best alternative for you, without completely replacing the system with something aftermarket. You don’t get nav with Siri, but you can still send commands to your phone for things like music.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 2017 with the same radio issue. It has the same issue. It won't work with Android Auto. So I run Google Maps audio through my system with the built in Nav showing on the screen. If the two ever conflict I go with the Google Maps audio since it is real time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, I have the same Anniversary Edition 200 and having the same issues. Bought it in 2017 and dealer said with updates I would have Car Play working. Well it’s late 2019 and still no luck. Just wondering if you found an answer on your side. Might have to bite the bullet and buy a updated screen. Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There’s a 3rd party manufacture that makes a plug and play hardware harness for car play but I think we would be better off switching the whole unit

·
Registered
123 Posts
As far as I know there is no way to update the existing head unit to support Carplay. It'd be nice if FCA would throw us a bone and offer an upgrade kit to allow us to install a new Uconnect head unit from a 300 or Pacifica (might make them a little money too) but since that hasn't happened your best bet is to replace the entire head unit. Mopar480 is correct that there is a 3rd party interface but all it does is esentially use the video input to display Carplay and you have to use the knobs and buttons to control it, the touchscreen doesn't work. There's alo not a ton of info on it out there so this is definitely a buyer beware situation.

If you do decide to go aftermarket Idatalink makes a device called the Maestro RR that acts as an interface between an aftermarket head unit and your car and allows you to retain most of the factory features. They also make a dash kit that replaces the bezel around the head unit to properly mount an aftermarket unit. If you look at head units on crutchfield it will also tell you what you need to get it working with your car. On the plus side if you do go this route you can get wireless Carplay, which as far as I know OEM head units aren't supporting yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve see the aftermarket units that plug into your phone but I was reading the reviews and doesn’t seem to work well with apple products. Weird thing happened today though, I was driving and it popped up a message I have never see that it will be updating my uconnect system so maybe we are in luck. Had that car for two years and never had a message pop up like that. Even called my dealer and he informed me Uconnect is having a massive update on all vehicles that started last week. So who knows, I’ll check out the after market devices you suggested but hopefully with this update we get what we should of had a long time ago. Not some Siri button that lags when you push it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Unfortunately, the UConnect OTA [over the air] update is a minor software revision and will not offer any new or additional features. Chrysler has not made new features backward compatible so for instance, Carplay will not be available on any model 200 factory system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So knowing that now, could I find a Jeep Cherokee or Pacifica unit and plug it in since CarPlay is I believe provided in those? It’s just strange to me that Uconnect would not make Carplay usable for certain vehicles which the same unit is used if I’m not mistaken. I just would like navigation but the one they offer which is a good 500+ is not anywhere near google or maps on Apple.

·
Registered
123 Posts
No that will not work, at least not without some hacking of the firmware. My understanding is that since the 200 was discontinued the newer UConnect head units will not recognize the vehicle configuration and will not work. Someone posted in one of the other forums a few months ago about trying to get one of the newer UConnect units to work but that hasn't been updated in a while so I'm assuming it didn't work. Like I said before it would be nice if FCA had chosen to offer an upgrade kit for sale to allow use of one of the newer UConnect units even though the 200 has been discontinued. Would make them some money too since the units are not cheap.

A software update to add Carplay is also not possible from what I've read. Carplay requires a minimum screen resolution and the UConnect system that came with the 200 does not meet that requirement. At this point the aftermarket route using a dash kit and something like the Maestro I previously mentioned is probably going to be the best bet. Almost all 200s are outside of the bumper to bumper warranty now so aside from cost and losing some UConnect features (such as Uconnect Access) I don't see a lot of downside to doing this. I'm considering doing it myself and am researching head units but first I need to decide how much longer I plan to keep the car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought the Nav upgrade (8.4) on my 2017, 200 and it works very well but I miss having the real-time updates. One thing that I have found though is that the Chrysler Nav (Garmin) works well and it's rare that there are times when a real-time system would have done better for me. That being said when I'm in a situation where I want real-time updates (like when I suspect traffic troubles ahead) I turn on the Chrysler Nav and then turn on Waze to the same destination on my phone (Blackberry KeyOne). (Chrysler Nav voice prompts off- Waze voice prompts on. Cell phone/Waze USB connected to car audio). Then I see where I'm going on the main screen but my voice guidance comes through the system audio via Waze. That way I'm getting a nice visual display and real-time audio guidance. On those rare times when the two systems conflict I go with the voice guidance from Waze, the Chrysler Nav picks up the deviation and usually figures out where the Waze is taking me so the maps always coincide with the voice within a turn or two. Then, at the same time I usually use my phone for iHeart or music storage. When a turn comes up the music softens and the Waze voice comes through telling me where to turn, then the music turns itself back up. It sounds like a lot and it is the first couple of times but after that there is nothing to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As far as I know there is no way to update the existing head unit to support Carplay. It'd be nice if FCA would throw us a bone and offer an upgrade kit to allow us to install a new Uconnect head unit from a 300 or Pacifica (might make them a little money too) but since that hasn't happened your best bet is to replace the entire head unit. Mopar480 is correct that there is a 3rd party interface but all it does is esentially use the video input to display Carplay and you have to use the knobs and buttons to control it, the touchscreen doesn't work. There's alo not a ton of info on it out there so this is definitely a buyer beware situation.

If you do decide to go aftermarket Idatalink makes a device called the Maestro RR that acts as an interface between an aftermarket head unit and your car and allows you to retain most of the factory features. They also make a dash kit that replaces the bezel around the head unit to properly mount an aftermarket unit. If you look at head units on crutchfield it will also tell you what you need to get it working with your car. On the plus side if you do go this route you can get wireless Carplay, which as far as I know OEM head units aren't supporting yet.
I talked to the people that you connect yes switching the radio still won’t work they use the vin from the car and I End it really doesn’t matter about a lot of the stuff because in December when 3G is permanently turned off across the nation none of the stuff is going to work in the radios with the set up that says 3G on the screen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts