Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! I'm trying to reupholster my cracked leather Chrysler 200 limited center console. I already have a new piece of leather with proper stitching from Ebay, but I can't at all figure out how to get the console cover off without damaging it. I've attached images here of the above, inside, rear, and side views, and can provide more if needed.

Does anyone know how to get this off, or have any reupholstering tips for it? I have the actual armrest off, just need to get the part the leather is attached to.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,335 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Perhaps the rear cover (#9) has to be removed to release the lid hinges?
The console may have to be removed from the car in order to do this.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums. Perhaps the rear cover (#9) has to be removed to release the lid hinges?
The console may have to be removed from the car in order to do this.
Thank you for the files! I have successfully removed the rear cover and have the center console out of the car; I just need to figure out how to remove the part that the leather is attached to.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just a thought ... I used to do car upholstery as my trade. I had a look at my armrest pad earlier today while my wife was at the doctors. I didn't have much time so was unable to figure out how to remove it. What about gluing in it on and tucking the excess material between the pad and the plastic holder. I would glue about an inch wide band up from the bottom edge and that should be enough to hold it.

·
Super Moderator
1,335 Posts
It looks like the console lid can be removed with the console still in the car:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like the console lid can be removed with the console still in the car:
Hmm, that seems possible... my only issue is that I'm having issues removing the "sliding closeout" without seeming like I'll damage the plastic.

·
Super Moderator
1,335 Posts
Step # 4 says to use a trim stick tool to remove the sliding closeout. This tool is like a dull flatblade screwdriver (wood, plastic or metal). You want to find and bend the plastic tabs slightly to disengage them from the lid assembly.
You also don't want to mar any surface that will be visible to occupants.
Cold plastic can break. Gently warm the plastic (hairdryer?) to keep the tabs as soft and pliable as possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts