Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Chrysler 200 limited and realized my high beams weren’t working when I was getting my car ready for inspection. Low beams work fine but high beams don’t come on at all.

· Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
3,083 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Does the blue hi-beam indicator in the cluster come on when you toggle the stalk?
Does it stay on low beam or do the headlamps go out? Both sides? Fog lamps are off?

· Administrator
3,083 Posts
There are shutters inside the headlamp that are supposed to open on hi-beam. Maybe they are sticking? Usually this happens on one side. Both sides are rare.
Have a helper 'thump' the headlamp while you cycle the hi-beams on & off. Exercise them a few times. They may free up.

Headlamps - 200 LX, Limited, S, and 200C models are equipped with halogen 76-millimeter projector beam headlamps for outstanding forward- and spread-light performance. When equipped with a bi-functional (high/low beam capability in a single lamp) high-intensity discharge (HID) xenon lighting system (optional on 200S and 200C) the 70-millimeter projector beams are incorporated, increase spread light by 5-percent and delivers an improvement in forward lighting.An electric motor and mechanism internal to the HID lamp unit closes a shutter for low beams and opens the shutter for high beams. The HID front lamp units each include an electronic ballast module, while an Automatic Headlamp Leveling Module (AHLM) that serves both front lamp units levelling motor. Both headlamp systems also include an adjustable reflector and clear lens integral to each front lamp unit. Halogen infrared bulbs (HIR) are standard-equipped on all models. The bulbs incorporate a special coating that makes them burn hotter within the bulb chamber, and in turn, provides wider spread light and higher output than traditional halogen bulbs.

· Administrator
3,083 Posts
I am assuming that this car has the standard Halogen headlamps & not the HID or LED? If it can turn on the blue hi-beam icon in the cluster, I would say that the headlamp & dimmer switches are OK.
The BCM (body control module) controls the left & right-side hi-beams separately, each with their own wire. So what is happening with one side is also happening to the other.
See the red arrows on the wiring diagram (Wt/Gn & Wt/Gy wires) below. Both headlamps have separate grounds (four Bk wires each) at G915A &G906A. Again, it would be unusual for both sides to fail at the same time, but corrosion happens & we need to rule out the more common, simple things first.
Is there power at pin #6 at the headlamps w/ the hi-beams on?
The BCM can put itself into 'protection' if it thinks that there is too much current draw (a short). Instead of blowing a fuse, it will shut off power on that wire until the short condition is lifted. It may need a higher-functioning scan tool than an OBDII engine code reader and needs a tool capable of reading body codes.
Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

Automotive lighting Liquid Drinkware Rectangle Font

Automotive lighting Hood Wheel Product Tire

Watch Font Rectangle Line Parallel

Watch Font Rectangle Line Parallel

Possible Hi-beam fault codes:
Sky Font Brand Electric blue Darkness

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So come to find out it is actually the opposite. My high beams are working but low beams are not. Switching my light control knob from off to just regular headlights does nothing. All other lights will come on just not low beams. Switching to Auto turns on my high beams automatically, hence why when I switch from low beams to high beams nothing happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts