Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter's 2016 has been intermittently losing power to the headlights, remote system including proximity unlock. Power locks interior lights, turn signals. Thinking ground issue, or perhaps another connection or module issue. Searched the forums, only saw issues with headlights only. Also I'd like to find a repair manual and wiring diagram.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,513 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Begin at the battery, remove and clean the posts and terminals. Move onto the PDC (power distribution center). Make sure that connectors and contacts are tight. Make sure that any fuses or relays are seated by pressing down on them with your finger.
Move onto the BCM (body control module) inside the car. Again make sure that all connectors, fuses and relays are secure in their recepticles. A lot of what you mention as affected by intermittents are driven by the BCM.

Techauthority is the factory authorized Stellantis service information dealer. You might find pirate copies on ebay or others. You are possibly getting wrong or incomplete info with aftermarket service info:
I look at factory service info as a 'tool cost' to justify the high price. Once you have it, it is yours. It may even pay for itself upon the 1st use if you are a DIYer. Certainly if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.
I like to have the service information/parts diagrams for my home and garden appliances to keep them going too.

Attachments

Reactions: ken_melhorn

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
If the vehicle has the original battery, then it's time for replacement.
These cars are known for needing a good fully charged battery.
Replace it if it's the original.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Very little changed on the UF-body from 2015-2017. One manual should be useful for servicing both 200s.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the vehicle has the original battery, then it's time for replacement.
These cars are known for needing a good fully charged battery.
Replace it if it's the original.
Well, it's looking like battery was spot on. Weird that a car will start fine but not support the brains lol..
Clues were, 1, they needed a jump box at the dealer,
2) it didn't happen after lots of drive time, which boosted the battery a bit., issue only came up on a day or two of sitting.

Most appreciated everyone !!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it's looking like battery was spot on. Weird that a car will start fine but not support the brains lol..
Clues were, 1, they needed a jump box at the dealer,
2) it didn't happen after lots of drive time, which boosted the battery a bit., issue only came up on a day or two of sitting.

Most appreciated everyone !!

Spoke a bit too soon. New weird symptom, clicking under the dash, sounds like a fritzed out relay clicking, and one interior overhead light flickers.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Locate the source of clicking. You should be able to feel where it is coming from under your fingertips. A cycling relay may be a symptom, not a cause of the root issue.
The interior lighting is controlled by the underdash BCM (see post # 2). There are soldered-in relays inside the BCM. I'm not suggesting that the BCM is failing, although that is always a possibility. Rule out external stuff first.
Verify good terminal connections and grounds. Any sign of water damage or corrosion? Gently poke and prod around the area while it is clicking to see if you can find a 'sweet spot'.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found where a previous owner had hacked power off the fuse for turn signals and put it onto a large wire that plugs into the lower left side of the fuse panel/TIPM.

They did a horrible job so I reworked it so at least the hack isn't also faulty.

So I'm looking for a wire diagram to see what that wire is from/to.

Suspecting the TIPM is bad and they threw power back in so other things work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found where a previous owner had hacked power off the fuse for turn signals and put it onto a large wire that plugs into the lower left side of the fuse panel/TIPM.

They did a horrible job so I reworked it so at least the hack isn't also faulty.

So I'm looking for a wire diagram to see what that wire is from/to.

Suspecting the TIPM is bad and they threw power back in so other things work.

Also, while dealing with a starter, I found another wired out fuse by the main power box under the hood.

The starter is a whole other thing. Found the original loose. Both bolts about 3/16s out. The new (brand new not reman) starter makes a slight flywheel squawk at startup. No visible flywheel tooth damage.

Makes me think the problem was there before and loosening the bolts hid the issue. Given the wire hack, I'd say this is likely.

All in all the car is nice, so I'm doing my best to correct these hacks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts